Rossi single-shot .223

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 1

Rossi single-shot .223

Post by ml1209 »

Found one at the pawn shop for $129 and I thought, why not. It looks like this, with a picatinny rail on top. Would you have bought it? What uses would you have for such a rifle?

bb img

pbwalker

Re: Rossi single-shot .223

Post by pbwalker »

ml1209 wrote:What uses would you have for such a rifle?
Nice wall decor over the fireplace
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

They shoot fine until they get hot. I used the one I had to teach my son how to shoot a rifle that was not 22lr. After 2 or 3 shots the accuracy went way down.

Weg

Post by Weg »

I've got a couple H&R single shots and love them, unfortunately they quit making them, the accuracy issue that was previously noted is my experience also. I have found that if you support them under the receiver only, never letting the forearm touch anything, a lot of stringing when hot is alleviated. I know the Rossi is a different rifle, but i'm sure the issues are the same. There are a few good You tube videos on how to do trigger jobs, I have done them on all my guns, and it helps a lot in the accuracy department. Expect 2" five shot groups at 100 yards, if you get better results, you have a better one in my experience. You got it for a good price, for what you paid, you will like it I think.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

It's interesting the accuracy degrades on both the Rossi and H&R rifles after they heat up. It could be the face of the breech pushing off the receiver as heat expansion takes place. Another possibility is the barrel contact with the for-end as it heats up. :headscratch Maybe loosening the for-end screw would help. I wonder if it is a problem with center fire double rifles or other break-over center fires.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

ml1209 wrote:Found one at the pawn shop for $129 and I thought, why not. It looks like this, with a picatinny rail on top. Would you have bought it? What uses would you have for such a rifle?
Not much use to me considering the historic low prices for AR15 pattern rifles this year. For someone on a very tight budget, it would probably do the job on a lone fox or coyote sniffing around the chicken coop.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would go over to the greybeard site. They ate H R/Rossi gurus. They can tell you what it is worth and how to accurize it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”