Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

Post by Scott B. »

If this is a dupe thread, I apologize. I searched but only found the black guns thread.

This little beauty showed up today. Mailed my paperwork the CMP on Dec 1. CC was charged on Dec 5. It's a reward for achieving a shooting goal and a little Christmas bonus rolled in one.

M1 Garand with a new barrel and stock, all parts reparkerized, and chambered in 308. It has a block to keep anybody from loading the wrong rounds. Receiver dates to 1955 ~ 1957, from Springfield Armory.

Put three coats of boiled linseed oil on throughout the day. I think it'll take some more. It's sitting in a warmed box overnight to see how it does. Had a smile on my face ever since I saw it coming off the truck.

LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pictures of your "Brown Guns"

Post by Tex1961 »

That’s absolutely one gorgeous rifle. I’m usually not jealous of others guns, but I have to admit I am about this one. Congrats

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

Outstanding! I have a Springfield M1 with a 1944 dated receiver I got from the CMP about 13 years ago. The stock doesn't look nearly as nice but the receiver and barrel looked like it was redone in the arsenal and then put away. It's been a great rifle.

I'll need to take a picture of that and my Mossberg 500.
Psalm 91:2

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

That's a real beauty!

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ruger Gunsite Scout (technically, dark gray, but it IS a wooden stock):

Marlin 336BL:

Henry Lever Action .22 Octagonal:

1943 Inland M1 Carbine (also with 1943 Ithaca 1911A1):

Stoeger Condor Competition 12 gauge over/under shotgun:

And somewhere, I also have pictures of a 1936 Tula Hex Receiver Moisin-Nagant 91/30, and a Yldiz o/u 20 gauge. That’s all of my wood-stocked guns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

Among other things, I picked these eight ladies up after Harvey hit here in Houston. A neighbor asked me if I'd help her sell her husband's guns - he'd passed away just a month before the hurricane hit, she wanted nothing to do with these after he was gone.

She offered to let me keep one of these M1 Carbines as a commission for helping out - and I chose the Standard Products as my own. I sold the Winchester, the RockOla, the National Postal Meter, and the IBM within the first month, and the Quality Hardware went this week. Only two more remain - an Underwood and a Saginal S'G'. Hopefully these will find a forever home soon enough.

My only other wooden guns are a Python, a Ruger Super Redhawk, and an old Iver Johnson Model 1900 Target. I don't have a photo of that latter, but the other two are below.

Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Ruger Gunsite Scout (technically, dark gray, but it IS a wooden stock):
What is that sling you have on that GSR?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Ruger Gunsite Scout (technically, dark gray, but it IS a wooden stock):
I like it!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Scott B. wrote:
I like it!
It is a nice rifle even if it is wrong handed. :lol:
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

SQLGeek wrote:
Scott B. wrote:
I like it!
It is a nice rifle even if it is wrong handed. :lol:
And it' s not really set up scout style, but then again that's exactly how I'd set up one too.

I 've made a serious tactical error, this thread might cost me some serious $$. :evil2:

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Vol Texan wrote:Among other things, I picked these eight ladies up after Harvey hit here in Houston. A neighbor asked me if I'd help her sell her husband's guns - he'd passed away just a month before the hurricane hit, she wanted nothing to do with these after he was gone.

She offered to let me keep one of these M1 Carbines as a commission for helping out - and I chose the Standard Products as my own. I sold the Winchester, the RockOla, the National Postal Meter, and the IBM within the first month, and the Quality Hardware went this week. Only two more remain - an Underwood and a Saginal S'G'. Hopefully these will find a forever home soon enough.

My only other wooden guns are a Python, a Ruger Super Redhawk, and an old Iver Johnson Model 1900 Target. I don't have a photo of that latter, but the other two are below.

PM question sent

equin

Post by equin »

Scott B. wrote:If this is a dupe thread, I apologize. I searched but only found the black guns thread.

This little beauty showed up today. Mailed my paperwork the CMP on Dec 1. CC was charged on Dec 5. It's a reward for achieving a shooting goal and a little Christmas bonus rolled in one.

M1 Garand with a new barrel and stock, all parts reparkerized, and chambered in 308. It has a block to keep anybody from loading the wrong rounds. Receiver dates to 1955 ~ 1957, from Springfield Armory.

Put three coats of boiled linseed oil on throughout the day. I think it'll take some more. It's sitting in a warmed box overnight to see how it does. Had a smile on my face ever since I saw it coming off the truck.

Awesome M1!! Looks just like mine, but I got a mid-50’s H&R in .30-06 a few years ago from the CMP. I also used boiled linseed oil on the stock. Need to apply some more, though.

So can you shoot any commercial .308 in yours? Or are you stuck searching for Garand-safe .30-06 ammo like the rest of us?
Ed

equin

Post by equin »

Oops. Meant to say Garand-safe .308 ammo like the rest of us who search for Garand-safe .30-06 ammo.
Ed

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

equin wrote:Awesome M1!! Looks just like mine, but I got a mid-50’s H&R in .30-06 a few years ago from the CMP. I also used boiled linseed oil on the stock. Need to apply some more, though.

So can you shoot any commercial .308 in yours? Or are you stuck searching for Garand-safe .30-06 ammo like the rest of us?
Here's the dope from the CMP COO, "Our .308 Win. caliber CMP Special M1 Garands are chambered for .308 Win. The barrels are marked .308, the chambers are cut with a Clymer manufactured .308 spec. reamer, the headspace is checked with a Clymer .308 spec. go and no go gauge, and the rifles are function test fired with .308 Win. caliber Atomic brand ammunition."

I don't plan to shoot any hot 308/762 through it but it would probably be fine. Some people say you need to change out the gas plug, but I'm going to run it as is and see what happens.

There are old, post-war Navy 308 conversions running around with sleeved chambers. They're not considered safe to shoot.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:
What is that sling you have on that GSR?
It’s a Galco Safari “Ching Sling” - the type of sling recommended by Col Cooper himself for scout type rifles: https://www.galcogunleather.com/safari- ... _1257.html

https://youtu.be/CKTC-OWuZ70

I love mine. The leather is still a little bit stiff because I haven’t actually used the sling very much in the field to carry and deploy the rifle, so it’s not fully broken in yet, but like most Galco products, it is exceptionally well made, and in my opinion, certainly worth the $80 they charge for it. I expect it to last as long as the rifle does. I have several other slings, mostly VTAC slings for my ARs, but this leather Ching sling is by far the nicest sling I have. If Ling New at Gunsite Academy says it works, then it works. I will tell you that you’ll spend a little time figuring out what adjustment settings work for you at your individual size. And because the brass studs and corresponding holes in the leather are meant to be left alone once your fit has been figured out, it’s a little bit of work to make those adjustments. But it does work exactly as advertised, and it makes for very stable shooting when away from the bench.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”