I won a Windham AR for $390

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 4

I won a Windham AR for $390

Post by ml1209 »

I didn't expect to win. My thought my cap would be easily exceeded soon enough. But instead, I got a complete Windham Weaponry AR-15, along with front & rear flip up sights, some kind of picatinny rail attachment above the upper for mounting a scope, upgraded grip, and some fancy forearm rail+cover (OK could be UTG), and a Magpul mag.

Anyone like these Windham rifles? How do they stack up against others?
Last edited by ml1209 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 6

Re: I won a Windham AR for $390

Post by pbwalker »

I'm confused...did you win the rifle, or just win the ability to buy it at that price?

I haven't heard much about them other than (from what I recall) they grew out of the acquisition of Bushmaster by Cerberus. I'd guess it's right on par with an Anderson or PSA rifle. Solid, entry level type AR.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

ml1209 wrote:I didn't expect to win. My thought my cap would be easily exceeded soon enough. But instead, I got a complete Windham Weaponry AR-15, complete with front & rear flip up sights, some kind of picatinny rail attachment above the upper for mounting a scope, upgraded grip, and some fancy forearm rail+cover (OK could be UTG), and a Magpul mag.

Anyone like these Windham rifles? How do they stack up against others?
Sounds like you did pretty good, getting your hands on a new AR-15 for <$400

My dad has a Windham AR-15 and one in .308. I don't think that he's gotten much range time to test the functionality of them, but it does seem to be a fairly decent quality build.

Would like to hear your range report after you get to take it out and some photos would be nice.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

pbwalker wrote:I'm confused...did you win the rifle, or just win the ability to buy it at that price?

I haven't heard much about them other than (from what I recall) they grew out of the acquisition of Bushmaster by Cerberus. I'd guess it's right on par with an Anderson or PSA rifle. Solid, entry level type AR.

I guess I won the right to buy it at $390 from an auction. How else would I win something for $390?

On Windham’s website they said their barrels are 4150, not 4140 and also Windham’s barrels are chrome-lined. Idk, does PSA or Anderson use 4150 and do they chrome-line their barrels?

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

ml1209 wrote:
pbwalker wrote:I'm confused...did you win the rifle, or just win the ability to buy it at that price?

I guess I won the right to buy it at $390 from an auction. How else would I win something for $390?

On Windham’s website they said their barrels are 4150, not 4140 and also Windham’s barrels are chrome-lined. Idk, does PSA or Anderson use 4150 and do they chrome-line their barrels?
Well, I didn't see anything about it being an auction, which is what threw me off a bit when you said 'won'.

I know Anderson is / has 4150. If I remember correctly, most PSA barrels are SS, but they have 4150's as well. I'm sure a metallurgy expert will chime in, but I believe SS barrels are used in more of the precision rifles platforms (whereas the 4150 is just the traditional 'milspec' rated for higher temps / full auto).

Should be a fun shooter!

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

1911 Raptor wrote:It is my understanding that windham is made by the guy who owned Bushmaster at one time.
Yep. Richard Dyke.

mrbc

Post by mrbc »

I have Two and both have been flawless to date, IMO a solid build.
check this video out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvkj0uFyyt0
It's good to acknowledge your fears, but don't let them dictate your path. Choose a direction and head that way with confidence - Cere

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

pbwalker wrote:I'd guess it's right on par with an Anderson or PSA rifle. Solid, entry level type AR.
These two sentences look very strange next to each other. :lol:
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I used to own a Bushmaster 24” varminter, and it was a pretty decent rifle. I would assume that Windhams are built to the same standard. I have other ARs which I have built myself using higher end parts, in which I have greater confidence, but I am also a little bit of a snob. I would guess that Windham’s quality is roughly on par with Bushmaster, Remington, and DPMS.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DocV

Post by DocV »

ml1209 wrote:
There can only only be so many barrel manufacturers out there. PSA does use 4150 in some of their barrels.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ml1209 wrote:

FWIW, I was initially confused too. There’s two ways to understand this:

“I won a Windham AR15 worth $390 (in a raffle, or other promotional contest)”

or......

“I won an auction for a Windam AR15 at a price of $390.”
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ml1209 wrote:

FWIW, I was initially confused too. There’s two ways to understand this:

“I won a Windham AR15 worth $390 (in a raffle, or other promotional contest)”

or......

“I won an auction for a Windam AR15 at a price of $390.”

I actually didn't say "I won a Windham AR15 worth $390". I stated in the title "I won a Windham AR for $390" and proceeded to state in the post that I had a cap that was exceeded. Nowhere did I say or imply that this was a promotion, raffle, or contest that I entered. The difference between the words "worth" and "for" used in that context changes the meaning of the sentence.

I appreciate the input. I think it's a fair deal on an AR15. From what I've read so far, it does seem to be a quality rifle, and not crap like PSA or Anderson. ;-)

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Windom weaponry is made by the same people who used to make the real bushmasters. They same guys who used to send them overseas for our troops. When Remington bought bushmaster quality turned to crap as does most Remington products these days and the guys who made good products said no way and started their own company. A friend of mine has a windom and it’s a fantastic super high quality AR15. I think you will be served well.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

It's hard to imagine going wrong at that price. Congrats.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”