Remington 870 w/detachable magazine

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Remington 870 w/detachable magazine

Post by Bitter Clinger »

LeonCarr wrote:My only hangup with detachable magazines on shotguns is when switching ammunition, for example from a buckshot round in the chamber to a slug, the Select Slug Drill (Fire buckshot, rack slide chambering another round of buckshot, threat is still active because he is too far away for buckshot, insert slug in magazine, depress slide release, rack slide, buckshot removed from chamber, slug inserted into chamber), with practice, is IME much faster than switching magazines, especially the larger than normal shotgun magazines.

I personally would pick the standard 870 over the 870DM.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Why not simply transition to pistol?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:My only hangup with detachable magazines on shotguns is when switching ammunition, for example from a buckshot round in the chamber to a slug, the Select Slug Drill (Fire buckshot, rack slide chambering another round of buckshot, threat is still active because he is too far away for buckshot, insert slug in magazine, depress slide release, rack slide, buckshot removed from chamber, slug inserted into chamber), with practice, is IME much faster than switching magazines, especially the larger than normal shotgun magazines.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
A one ounce or heavier shotgun slug moving 1500-1600 fps and effective to 100-125 yards will work better at stopping the threat that the typical 9/.40/.45 that is typically effective to about 50 yards and has 3-4 times less energy than the shotgun slug. I can switch to a slug in the same time or less than it takes to transition from the shotgun to the handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

puma guy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Just to throw another option out, Mossberg now has a box magazine fed 590.

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590m-mag-fed/

The 590M is fed from a 10-round double-stack magazine.
That makes more sense than the 6 round Remington's.
Yes, and apparently they also offer 5 and 20 round mags.

I didn't find them in their online store, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIso4ZWM06w
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

LeonCarr wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
A one ounce or heavier shotgun slug moving 1500-1600 fps and effective to 100-125 yards will work better at stopping the threat that the typical 9/.40/.45 that is typically effective to about 50 yards and has 3-4 times less energy than the shotgun slug. I can switch to a slug in the same time or less than it takes to transition from the shotgun to the handgun.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Well, I won't argue although seems a little contrived. Personally I can transition faster than I can reload. In your scenario neither party is attempting to close the distance, correct?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

The Mossberg 590m also has a 15 and 20 round magazine. Their mags list for $110-$140/ea
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

The Mossberg 590A1 holds 8+1 in chamber total of 9. I'm sure it's probably lighter than that double stack magazine for only one more round.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Well, I won't argue although seems a little contrived. Personally I can transition faster than I can reload. In your scenario neither party is attempting to close the distance, correct?
In my scenario the bad guy is past the range where the pattern of buckshot is larger than a human upper torso and fails to stop. With the best buckshot this is around 35-40 yards. Past 40 yards I will pick a shotgun loaded with slugs over a handgun every time.

I apologize if I came across as contrived or made the scenario appear that way.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deltaboy »

I got to using just slugs in my 870 and be done with it.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”