The Winchester 1300 shotgun

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 2

The Winchester 1300 shotgun

Post by ml1209 »

Anyone have one? How do you like these shotguns?

puma guy
Posts in topic: 12

Re: The Winchester 1300 shotgun

Post by puma guy »

I have a 1300 and a couple of it's predessesors Model 1200. They are smoother and less clanky than all the other pumps I own. I bought one back in 1966 that I shot sleet with. It was stolen, but the point is it was smooth and fast enough to shoot doubles with no problem.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

puma guy wrote:I have a 1300 and a couple of it's predessesors Model 1200. They are smoother and less clanky than all the other pumps I own. I bought one back in 1966 that I shot sleet with. It was stolen, but the point is it was smooth and fast enough to shoot doubles with no problem.
I have a Benneli Supernova pump that is fast enough to easily shoot double with. The limiting factor is my aim not the guns speed.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

ml1209 wrote:Anyone have one? How do you like these shotguns?
The 1300 was my go to for many years until I got an auto. Its quick and smooth. Even though she's a safe queen now, I would never part with her. I actually have 2, the 1 I hunted with and a defender.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Syntyr wrote:
puma guy wrote:I have a 1300 and a couple of it's predessesors Model 1200. They are smoother and less clanky than all the other pumps I own. I bought one back in 1966 that I shot sleet with. It was stolen, but the point is it was smooth and fast enough to shoot doubles with no problem.
I have a Benneli Supernova pump that is fast enough to easily shoot double with. The limiting factor is my aim not the guns speed.
Unfortunately that gun wasn't around in the 60's. :lol: I moved on to O/U, but at age 18 the 1200 was all I could afford, plus I got an extra VR barrel from the factory for $25 in a promotion. I think a plain barrel was $15. Yeah, you still have to get back on target! I couldn't shoot a double with a pump now if you gave me a million bucks. :shock: You can pick up both the Winchester 1300 and 1200 shotguns used for very reasonable prices.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
Unfortunately that gun wasn't around in the 60's. :lol: I moved on to O/U, but at age 18 the 1200 was all I could afford, plus I got an extra VR barrel from the factory for $25 in a promotion. I think a plain barrel was $15. Yeah, you still have to get back on target! I couldn't shoot a double with a pump now if you gave me a million bucks. :shock: You can pick up both the Winchester 1300 and 1200 shotguns used for very reasonable prices.
Sorry for the thread hijack. I missed the original posters question.

I haven't been able to afford an investment in a nice O/U yet...sounds like the Wichester is a nice pump...
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Syntyr wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:

I haven't been able to afford an investment in a nice O/U yet...sounds like the Wichester is a nice pump...
No worry. My comment was meant in jest. I know Benneli makes fine SG's and there's no comparison to the Winny. I rarely make recommendations for a particular gun, scope or whatever, but I will offer my experiences with it for whatever it's worth. Your comment about the Supernova certainly fits the same vein. I have read many reviews on the 1300 and 1200 and they're rated from pieces of junk to almost heirloom status. I have several pumps, 3 Winchester Model 12's, a 1300 Defender, 2 Model 1200's, 2 Mossbergs, 2 Remington Model 870's, a JC Higgins Model 20 (Hi Standard) 2 Remington Model 10's and a New England Pardner. The Model 12's are actually the smoothest actions of all, but the 1200's are pretty smooth.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

The 1300 is an improvement upon the 1200. If you find one for a good price, pick it up. The 1200 isn't bad, just a little fussier to clean.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Sort of weird the OP never replies or responds. :headscratch

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

I have an old Winchester Defender shotgun and it is a great home-defense gun.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

dlh wrote:I have an old Winchester Defender shotgun and it is a great home-defense gun.
:thumbs2:

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

puma guy wrote:Sort of weird the OP never replies or responds. :headscratch

Sorry about that. I do read the responses, but I don't know much about the 1300. I do appreciate the info. :mrgreen:

equin

Post by equin »

puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:

No worry. My comment was meant in jest. I know Benneli makes fine SG's and there's no comparison to the Winny. I rarely make recommendations for a particular gun, scope or whatever, but I will offer my experiences with it for whatever it's worth. Your comment about the Supernova certainly fits the same vein. I have read many reviews on the 1300 and 1200 and they're rated from pieces of junk to almost heirloom status. I have several pumps, 3 Winchester Model 12's, a 1300 Defender, 2 Model 1200's, 2 Mossbergs, 2 Remington Model 870's, a JC Higgins Model 20 (Hi Standard) 2 Remington Model 10's and a New England Pardner. The Model 12's are actually the smoothest actions of all, but the 1200's are pretty smooth.
I have two Model 12s, a 16 and a 12 gauge. Super smooth, slick actions. No experience with the 1200 or 1300 but if they're like the Model 12, then I wouldn't hesitate in getting one if it's been well maintained.
Ed

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

equin wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Syntyr wrote:

I have two Model 12s, a 16 and a 12 gauge. Super smooth, slick actions. No experience with the 1200 or 1300 but if they're like the Model 12, then I wouldn't hesitate in getting one if it's been well maintained.
Other than being Winchesters the 12 and 1200/1300 have very little in common. Post 1964 Winchester eliminated costly machined and forged machined parts for the most part and used stampings, investment casting and less labor intensive processes. Also aluminum replaced steel for many receivers. The bolt on the 1200/1300 was a completely different design that had rotating lugs, but was strong. Receivers were cast aluminum with little machining required. The trigger group was modular held in by cross pins and disassembly and assembly of the shotgun was simplified. Removing the magazine cap that locked on the barrel ring allowed easy removal of the barrel from the receiver. The Walnut stocks had stamped checkering to further reduce cost. The guns were well received, but weren't as popular as the Model 870 Remington, which outsold them. Post 1964 Winchester had a lot of rumors spreading around that they were made in Japan, were pot metal, etc. While the guns were no match for the all steel, forged and machined things of beauty they once were the guns were functional and reliable. They lost a lot of ground in the market after 1964. I have a post 1964 Model 70 (made tn 1964) .243 that was a great shooting rifle, albeit after I glass bedded the action and adjusted the trigger. That's one thing the Model 70 had on the Rem 700. The Mod 70 also had a free-floated barrel, so there was no need to work on that. I have a .270 Win Model 70 made in the late 90's after they went back to the controlled feed bolt of the pre -64 rifles and I use it as is from the box to deer hunt and it does a fine job. Kinda got off topic of Model 1300 shotguns. They haven'y been made sin e abut 2006, but I wouldn't hesitate nor have I in buying a used one. They are far more reasonably priced than Remingtons. (I know I'll get some feedback on that comment) LOL I'm actually looking for a 20 ga for my youngest daughter to use as a home defense SG. Just gotta wait for that great deal .

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

We could have a whole new thread on shotguns we've loved.

I just sold a mint 1974 Model 1200. Action was very smooth. The only drawback on those was the screw / slide arm bridge affair, and the pin retained ejector. At least in my opinion when compared to its contemporaries, the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”