Driving through Alabama

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Scott Murray
Posts in topic: 2

Driving through Alabama

Post by Scott Murray »

OK. I got a New Hampshire Non Resident's permit so I could drive through Alabama, on my way to the east coast (see previous post). All the other states I need now have reciprocity with Texas. Alabama is supposed to have reciprocity with New Hampshire, and http://www.packing.org says that non resident's permits are OK.

I went and read the Alabama Attorney General's web site:
http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

It says (at the bottom of the page) that the question of whether Alabama reciprocity covers non resident permits is not defined in the law, and that the Attorney General has not offered an official position, but that their unofficial position is that it's OK. It suggests checking the status frequently.

I'll be making the trip in a couple of weeks. Shall I take the pistol? I'm thinking I will. If I'm stopped for a traffic problem, shall I notify the officer that I'm carrying, and show him the NH permit? The packing.org site says that's not required. I gather that's because it's not addressed by the Alabama statute. I might normally tell him anyway, as a courtesy. But would it be better not to bring up the subject?

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I just sent off my app for an NH permit for the same reason. I'd like to know the answer to your question as well.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

"But would it be better not to bring up the subject?"

I'm not an expert, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't mention it unless I had to.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

OK, here is my opinion. Think back as to how many times you have been stopped vs. how many times you have had your car searched.

If you never mention it all the better. If an officer requests consent to search your car (which may happen w/ TX plates) and you have no problem with it, then just tell him before he starts, since he will find it anyway. (As a side note, I would always consent to a search.)
Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Topic author
Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'll not mention it unless I'm to be searched. I guess this is just one more reason to drive carefully.

Scott

stevie_d_64

Thats the reason I got mine...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I didn't see a big problem in Alabama once I got that Non-Res NH permit...Easiest permit I ever got...hehehe

Considering you'll be in Alabama, less than an hour...Seems like a waste...

But getting out, unloading, securing, and then an hour later doing it all over again...Nahhh, I'd rather get the permit...

A Texas resident and a NH non-res will get you to about all but a few States that are prudes about their CCW laws to begin with...And I wouldn't go visit them anyway, for any reason...

Now if we can just get NM to fall into line...We'll be in good shape...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

The last post was in relation to traveling by car/truck to..

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Florida down I-10...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Other States”