Welfare Politics (off topic)

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

Welfare Politics (off topic)

Post by tomneal »

It's not really on topic for this forum but...

Do you think the evacuees from NOLA that have relocated to other states (like Texas) will:

Go back to NOLA?

Get jobs near their new homes?

Go on Welfare near their new homes?

Be in their new homes 6 months from now?

What would you do
If you evacuated your home
it was distroyed
someone "bought it" from you?

Would you stay near your new job or would you move back?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Welfare Politics (off topic)

Post by stevie_d_64 »

tomneal wrote:It's not really on topic for this forum but...

Do you think the evacuees from NOLA that have relocated to other states (like Texas) will:

Go back to NOLA?

What would you do
If you evacuated your home
it was distroyed
someone "bought it" from you?

Would you stay near your new job or would you move back?
Those are some good questions...

But then again I am of a different mindset...And home is where I hang my hat...

If I had to speculate these would be my assumptions (if I was your typical Nawlin's resident)

Go back to NOLA?

Depends on who rebuilds my home for me, because I ain't paying for it...The government needs to rebuild my home at no cost to me because its their fault...(/sarcasm)

Sure, I needs a way to get around, and I hear Houston has a good bus system...

Someone in our family will have to get back on it...We did it there, we can get on it here...easy...

6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months...What does it matter, as long as we get it for free...

Because its Bush's fault...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

John

Re: Welfare Politics (off topic)

Post by John »

These are interesting and good questions. I feel like many of those who went to the astrodome from the superdome will integrate into our economy and stay. You might need to break the questions down a little more and state specifically who you are talking about. I feel like most of those who left early and went to stay with family or rented hotels during the early evacuation will eventually go back (some already have). For those who were flooded and lost everything, but still have a means of supporting themselves, they will go back and the time frame will vary from Monday of next week through two years from now (it's going to take a long time to rebuild that many homes).

It's a pretty broad question. If it was me, and I lived in St. Bernard Parish, I would go back but live somewhere else. If I lived in Metairie or Kenner, clean up and/or rebuild and go on about my life. If I were on welfare and lived in the projects, I would do everything I could to get off on a better foot in Houston and start over.

Houston (and Texas) will have a higher populatation because of Katrina.
JohnC

Topic author
tomneal

I was thinking about

Post by tomneal »

Folks that had the worst conditions in NOLA

If I had water in my house 6' or above, and
someone offered to pay me not to rebuild and
I had made a "temporary" move to another city
then
I might not move back

If I lived "in the projects" and
I had made a "temporary" move to another city
then
I might not move back

(does it look like I write programs for a living?)
See you at the range

John

Post by John »

I really have no first hand knowledge, but from what I have been told, most of those who had to be bused to Houston were at or near the poverty level. Of those, some had jobs in hotels and restaurants and some had jobs working for the city and some were on welfare and had no jobs. I have spoken to people who are working with many of these folks in various capacities and they tell me that they are hearing that life is much better in Houston, so far. Six months from now? I don’t know, but unless they are counted, rounded up and bussed back against their will, I suspect many, if not most are here to stay. I am totally against forcing them to go back in any way shape or form, but I also have no issue with offering them a ride home on the taxpayer.

Just re-read your original post and understood the context:

Go back to NOLA? 30% is my guess

Get jobs near their new homes? 30%

Go on Welfare near their new homes? 40%

Be in their new homes 6 months from now? Wow... tough one, six months is when the free rent runs out.
JohnC

Kalrog

Re: I was thinking about

Post by Kalrog »

tomneal wrote:(does it look like I write programs for a living?)
:lol: I kept waiting for the "else" statement.

gigag04

Re: I was thinking about

Post by gigag04 »

Kalrog wrote:
tomneal wrote:(does it look like I write programs for a living?)
:lol: I kept waiting for the "else" statement.
+1
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

tehlump

Post by tehlump »

our city is closing the official shelters Friday at noon. Our city and county govt has offerred to pay the first months rent + deposit for those who want to stay.

Huntsville Item Online

Topic author
tomneal

Stories about NOLA folks making new lives elsewhere

Post by tomneal »

See you at the range

John

Post by John »

Here is another article on the subject:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 10_pf.html

Some of the Uprooted Won't Go Home Again
JohnC

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

I've been organizing the security for my church's shelter since we opened last week. I've seen quite a mix of people.

There are many that are good, hard-working people with a skillset. Many of these are looking to get jobs and a house here and will rebuild a new life. I am trying to help them find jobs close to the church since they lost their transportation. They are genuinely touched that people would give up their time to help people they don't even know. They are appreciative and humble. These are the people that make it all worth my time.

Then there are the ones that I believe are representative of most in shelters right now. Looking to get ALL they can get, including food stamps, government housing, etc. They think this is all Bush's fault and they want their card. They are demanding and expect to be driven all over the city, take the shelter cell phones without asking, and challenge all the rules you come up with. One even went as far as complaining about the food we served (it was just as good as what I eat every day). This woman also complained about someone changing the television channel and "what was I gonna do about it". I told her "nothing, everyone has to learn to get along and share the facility and if it becomes a problem I'll unplug it and it won't be a problem any longer". Pretty sad you have to talk to a grown woman like you do a child, because that's how she acts.

Overall, I see most people staying in Houston. I've heard some of the people at our shelter getting $800/mo. apartments for $250 and similar deals on houses. They will get the silver platter here for a long time and I'm sure they'll take advantage of it.

It will be interesting to see how this changes Houston in the long term. I really can't see it changing too much for the good though.

Return to “Other States”