Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Police: Man[with CWP] Shoots, Kills Person Trying To Rob Him

Post by Paladin »

http://www.nbc6.net/news/7540689/detail.html

"Police: Man Shoots, Kills Person Trying To Rob Him

POSTED: 10:45 am EST February 28, 2006
UPDATED: 5:54 pm EST February 28, 2006

MIAMI -- A man shot and killed another man trying to rob him at a gas station early Tuesday morning, according to Miami-Dade County police.

Images

Police said the victim was approached by an armed man at a BP gas station on West Dixie Highway at about 4 a.m. Gas station employees said the robber was a 22-year-old man who went by the street name "S.P."

A witness said S.P. came into the parking lot, saw the victim wearing a gold chain, pulled a gun and demanded that he hand over the chain, NBC 6's Jeff Burnside reported.

The victim was also carrying a gun. Police said he shot and killed the robber during a confrontation.

Police found evidence that bullets were flying everywhere, from both the robber's and the victim's guns. The gas station owner, Cesar Gaiton, said a cashier counted at least seven shots, some of which hit the food store.

"She was screaming. When she called me, I said, 'Hello.' She was screaming, 'Somebody shot somebody in his face,'" Gaiton said.

"From what we gather at this point is that he did have a permit for the firearm. He did utilize the firearm, at this point, from what it seems, in self-defense. But, that's why the interview process and all the information gathering remains the same, like any other case," said Alvaro Zabaleta, of the Miami-Dade County police.

The victim was taken to Miami-Dade Police Department for questioning.

Detectives believe the robbery attempt was random and the shooting was apparently in self-defense. An investigation continues."
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Tom

Re: Police: Man[with CWP] Shoots, Kills Person Trying To Rob

Post by Tom »

Paladin wrote:http://www.nbc6.net/news/7540689/detail.html

"Police: Man Shoots, Kills Person Trying To Rob Him

POSTED: 10:45 am EST February 28, 2006
UPDATED: 5:54 pm EST February 28, 2006

MIAMI -- A man shot and killed another man trying to rob him at a gas station early Tuesday morning, according to Miami-Dade County police.

The victim was also carrying a gun. Police said he shot and killed the robber during a confrontation.

The victim was taken to Miami-Dade Police Department for questioning.
Wow, a reporter actually got the robber/victim relationship right!

Tom

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

If this had happened two years ago, he would probably be in a worse situation because in court they would probably say he should have immediately given up the gold chain, retreated, stumbled over backwards, etc. Thanks to the "stand your ground" law they passed last year, he should not be second-guessed by the judge or prosecutor, like so often happened in that state before the law was passed.

I always prefer a Nike or a Pirelli defense (leave/avoid), but we need "stand your ground" here, too. Because "reasonable" people know that some of these urban predators will hurt them even if they do cooperate under duress, and these predators deserve to be . . . stopped.

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Police: Man[with CWP] Shoots, Kills Person Trying To Rob

Post by KBCraig »

Tom wrote:
Wow, a reporter actually got the robber/victim relationship right!

Tom
Yeah, I had to do a double-take. I'm used to the press referring to the recently deceased BG as the "victim", and I wondered why they'd take him in for questioning!

Kevin

Return to “Other States”