Colorado?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

Colorado?

Post by Rex B »

I'm going to Mesa Verde next week via NM. I got the lowdown on NM from the other posts, but nothing on Colorado. Can someone fill me in?

I tried to check packing.org but I can't access the site this afternoon for some reason.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

TxBlonde
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxBlonde »

What are you wanting to know?

Topic author
Rex B

What I need to know

Post by Rex B »

The usual:

- What areas are off-limits
- What to present at traffic stops
- Any differences to Texas laws
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

TxBlonde
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxBlonde »

I sent them an email and this is what I got back. I have family that lives there.
Ms. Wilson,

Good afternoon. Regarding your question, the State of Colorado does not publish a handbook of the concealed carry laws and/or related regulations. However, as a public service, these statutes are posted, with specific text descriptors, on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation web site so that the public may review and/or research any concealed carry regulations that they may have. http://www.cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp I believe that Colorado law C.R.S 18-12-214 should provide you with the information that you are seeking.

However, in regards to question about signs, please remember that any private business may post a sign, of their choosing, to inform the public that they prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms on their premises.

Additionally, please feel free to contact me if you require any further information or assistance regarding this matter.

James G. Spoden
InstaCheck/CCW Unit Supervisor
Colorado Bureau of Investigation
(303) 239-5850

Topic author
Rex B

That's helpful

Post by Rex B »

I don't know why I couldn't find that page yesterday, thanks.

Looks pretty straighforward. Better than Texas laws, by a little bit. I have heard that the Denver LEOs are known to use a more strict interpretation of CCW laws.
-----------

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barres »

For a while, Colorado law regarding CCW didn't have any provision to keep cities from passing stricter regulations or even outright banning CCW, so Denver did ban CCW. That has since been taken care of, but I would still be careful in the Denvar area.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kw5kw »

I'm going to Denver area next week myself, so I've been really looking up info. I had posted in another thread, but will repost below.

The only place that I'm really concerned about is the Red Rocks Amphatheatre (sp) where we're going to see Sheryl Crow.

Russ
Last edited by kw5kw on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

barres wrote:For a while, Colorado law regarding CCW didn't have any provision to keep cities from passing stricter regulations or even outright banning CCW, so Denver did ban CCW. That has since been taken care of, but I would still be careful in the Denvar area.
Denver banned Open Carry not Concealed Carry.
kw5kw wrote:
barres wrote:IANAL, and I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but I remember hearing something about CCW being banned in the city of Denver.

Just looked it up on Packing.org, and the info about Denver is old news. Colorado passed a preeminence law which took away Denver's ability to ban CCW. Have a great trip!
Was it CCW or was it OC?

I think Denver had a problem with OC, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm planning a trip to Co later this year, (Golden) and that's close enough to Denver to make it worth checking out.

edit #1
opencarry.org wrote: Colorado

Summary
Colorado was once one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. However, Denver filed and won a suit challenging the states excellent preemption law. Consequently, both open carry and unlicensed open car carry in Denver are prohibited. There are reports that other localities are planning to follow suit. Currently, outside of Denver, car carry is unrestricted and localities are almost completely preempted in enforcing firearms restrictions, and must post specific facilities which are off limits to open carry.
Russ
edit #2
More info can be found at:
http://www.rmgo.org/
and specifically at:
http://www.rmgo.org/faq/index.shtml

edit #3

OPEN CARRYING OF FIREARMS

found at: http://www.rmgo.org/denverruling.htm

Section 38-117(b) of the Denver Revised Municipal Code makes it unlawful for any person "to carry, use or wear any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun . . . or any other dangerous or deadly weapon." It is not an offense if the person has a permit and is carrying a concealed handgun or if the person is carrying the weapon in a private automobile for hunting or self defense. Section 38-117(f)(1) and (2). Affirmative defenses to a charge of openly carrying a firearm are listed in §38-118(a) and (b) and include carrying the weapon in a person's own dwelling, place of business or own property, carrying the weapon in defense of home, person or property when there is a direct and immediate threat, for use on a hunting trip or target shooting, transportation as a collector or licensed dealer, and moving personal property from an old residence to a new residence.
Russ
kw5kw

Topic author
Rex B

No problem

Post by Rex B »

I'm not going anywhere near Denver this trip, so no worry there anyway.
I am going to spend most of my time there in Mesa Verde National Park, and I know to keep my firearms in the locked trunk, unloaded.

We are also going to be staying two nights at the accomodations in the national park. I presume those are also off-limits - can't take a gun into the room?
-----------

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Sticky... we need to get some help with the National Parks, that's for sure.

I know what I would do in the hotel, but I ain't tellin' :shock:

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Return to “Other States”