Pro and Cons of Texas Resident obtaining a UTAH CHL

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
propellerhead
Posts in topic: 5

Pro and Cons of Texas Resident obtaining a UTAH CHL

Post by propellerhead »

Are there any issues to be concerned with? Any got'chas? It seems like a cheaper license that's easier to get is just too good to be true.

Replaced Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Replaced Texan »

I want one! I hear training for the permit is anticipated to be available in the DFW area (if it's not already) in early November. With it I can pick up two states that my Florida and Texas permits do not cover: Washington and Minnesota.
Replaced Texan

Carry Permits: TX, FL, WA.

In the Land of the Free Because of the Brave

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Forum user llwatson was getting ready to get his utah instructors license, or whatever it's called. You might want to PM him, he was going to let some of us know when he was ready to hold classes; I know I want my Utah permit so that I can carry in Washington State (I go there for business a lot)
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

nitrogen wrote:Forum user llwatson was getting ready to get his utah instructors license, or whatever it's called. You might want to PM him, he was going to let some of us know when he was ready to hold classes; I know I want my Utah permit so that I can carry in Washington State (I go there for business a lot)
That would be "her" and "she".

http://www.geocities.com/LLWatson/

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Crossfire »

Yeah, that would be me. Thanks, propellerhead!

I am taking the Utah instructor course on Friday, October 13. (I hope that isn't a bad omen, and is my lucky Friday the 13th!) I have been told, that as a Texas instructor, it only takes about 2 weeks to get certified.

So, if that is true, we will offer our first Utah class on Saturday, Nov 4 at the city of Roanoke Recreation Center. I believe there is no shooting proficiency test for Utah, so a range is not required.

I will post a message as soon as I have the details for you.

(BTW, Prophead, I am no longer associated with that other range in Ft Worth, partly because of the safety issues you raised about their backstop. I am now affiliated with the city of Roanoke, and we will shoot at Quail Creek until Tactical Edge is up and running.)

Thanks for the interest, and I will keep y'all posted!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Whoa! You're way north of Fort Worth now. Not a bad drive considering Cabela's and Cheaper Than Dirt are in north Fort Worth. I don't mind going up that way because I make stops at these places to browse. I haven't been back to that other range where you used to teach. I don't like lead and concrete bits flying back at me when I shoot.

Anyway, I have a friend who is considering getting a CHL. She's a bit hesitant due to the costs invloved in a Texas CHL. So I suggested a Utah CHL but she's concerned about any disadvantages or issues of having an out of state CHL and if those issues are worth the savings. She wants a CHL, just undecided on which one to get. Hence, this thread.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I should have the answers to all your questions in just a couple of weeks. Ok, well, at least MOST of them!

And the Roanoke Rec center is just right off Hwy 170, only about a mile from Cabela's. So, take the class, then go shop! Like I said, I will keep y'all posted.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

propellerhead wrote:
nitrogen wrote:Forum user llwatson was getting ready to get his utah instructors license, or whatever it's called. You might want to PM him, he was going to let some of us know when he was ready to hold classes; I know I want my Utah permit so that I can carry in Washington State (I go there for business a lot)
That would be "her" and "she".

http://www.geocities.com/LLWatson/
Whoops. Sorry! Open mouth, insert foot... :oops:
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

It's OK, Nitro. I've been called worse!

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Here's the article about Utah CHLs going to out of state folks...

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_204193608.html
Six of every 10 concealed weapons permits issued in Utah this year have gone to out-of-state applicants
Utah's permit is honored by 30 other states and has the highest acceptance rate of any state, which may be the reason so many nonresidents apply.

Add that to the permit's five-year duration, low fee, ease of renewal and modest level of training, and it's no surprise that gun rights activists call it ``the most valuable permit in the nation.''
The application requires a gun-safety class, fingerprinting, a criminal background check and payment of a $59 fee. Applicant's don't have to be residents, or even set foot in the state. Utah also has licensed instructors in 42 other states and Canada who routinely train people to obtain a state permit.

deadeyearcher

Post by deadeyearcher »

The only problem I see with it is that the Federal gun free school laws were writen so that only the state that the school is in can issue a permit to override them. I don't have sources now, but will try to find them.

Edited: Here is where I read it http://www.packing.org/state/documents/ ... l_zone.pdf

Edited: Right now it isn't that big of a deal, but if we get school carry passed it could be depending on job, ect...

VViper

Re: Pro and Cons of Texas Resident obtaining a UTAH CHL

Post by VViper »

propellerhead wrote:Are there any issues to be concerned with? Any got'chas? It seems like a cheaper license that's easier to get is just too good to be true.
One thing a Texas resident with only a Utah license needs to be aware of is that they won't be able to carry in as many states as it might at first appear.

Florida, Michigan, and New Hampshire only honor the out-of-state permits of residents from the issuing state. (South Carolina and West Virginia also honor only out-of-state permits from residents of the issuing state, but since in this case neither state honors Utah, that's a moot point.)

If a Texas resident plans to carry in Florida, Michigan or South Carolina, a Texas CHL is the best way to go. If they need to carry in Washington State, Minnesota, or Ohio, then the Utah permit is fine.

License holders can also get a four-year non-resident New Hampshire permit for $20 by mail with the following completed application: http://www.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/docu ... ssp260.pdf

Topic author
propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Good points, WPoorman. Thanks.

My friend has no plans of carrying outside Texas though. The New Hampshire one won't work since she doesn't have a TX CHL.

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Replaced Texan wrote:I want one! I hear training for the permit is anticipated to be available in the DFW area (if it's not already) in early November. With it I can pick up two states that my Florida and Texas permits do not cover: Washington and Minnesota.

Haven't looked at the map since AL came on board with TX.....but think TX already covers Minnesota....a UT would give us TX CHLers WA and OH

//John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

llwatson wrote:I should have the answers to all your questions in just a couple of weeks. Ok, well, at least MOST of them!

And the Roanoke Rec center is just right off Hwy 170, only about a mile from Cabela's. So, take the class, then go shop! Like I said, I will keep y'all posted.

Great ....thanks llwatson!
//John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Return to “Other States”