Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Stratford, Connecticut, mayor in concealed-carry kerfuffle

Post by seamusTX »

http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4461129?source=email

Mayor James Miron of Statford, Connecticut, has a concealed-carry license and carries at town meetings (apparently legal in that state). Some of his critics are raising the usual stink.
Miron, ... steadfastly defends his right to carry guns.

"I am an American citizen, and I have a right to carry guns as guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution," he said.
Interesting to note that the mayor is a Democrat.

- Jim

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mithras61 »

But Sylvia Guberman, a long-time Miron critic, said, "It's an embarrassment and disgrace that we have a mayor who feels the need to protect himself by carrying guns to work and council meetings. "What is he afraid of anyway?" Guberman continued. "What kind of enemies has he made that he has the need to carry guns?"

Guberman suggested Miron instead consider hiring security guards or use police officers "to provide security at Town Hall.

"I don't think it would be in the town's best interests for the mayor or anyone else to be getting into a gun fight during a council meeting," she said.
It's embarassing that someone wants to be able to protect themselves? It isn't a question of what kind of enemies he has made. Do bBGs suddenly require a reason for being a BG?

I have no doubt that if he hired security guards to protect thetown hall or had LEOs posted there Ms. Guberman would have had some problem with that (e.g. - private security at a public facility? Not a chance. Use town money for that? Not my $$$. Station LEOs there? But they're on the town/state's payroll, and again not my $$$!).

And finally, I seriously doubt that the mayor intends to get into a gun fight at town hall. He's shown himself to be a (relatively) upright & honset citizen over the past several years. What (short of a face-to-face with Ms. Guberman) does she think is likely to make him draw & fire his weapon other than a direct threat to someone in the town hall?

On the other hand, maybe that face-to-face thing is exactly what she fears... :shock:

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

It's the typical mindset of wanting to pretend that nothing will happen.

If you're old enough to remember when seat belts were first installed in cars, some people used to say, "They make me nervous."

I guess fire extinguishers make them nervous, too.

Being in small-town government does attract nuts and enemies. I've seen people get quite exercised in city council meetings over the tax rate, etc.

- Jim

Replaced Texan

Post by Replaced Texan »

Her comments are those of an intellectual elitist. They think that their increased social skills offend no one and as a result of such refinement and social grace they are immune to common faults of mankind. They make no one mad so how could they possibly make enemies that necessitate the carrying of arms?
Replaced Texan

Carry Permits: TX, FL, WA.

In the Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Roger Howard

Re: Stratford, Connecticut, mayor in concealed-carry kerfuff

Post by Roger Howard »

seamusTX wrote:http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_4461129?source=email

Mayor James Miron of Statford, Connecticut, has a concealed-carry license and carries at town meetings (apparently legal in that state). Some of his critics are raising the usual stink.
Miron, ... steadfastly defends his right to carry guns.

"I am an American citizen, and I have a right to carry guns as guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution," he said.
Interesting to note that the mayor is a Democrat.

- Jim
interesting note: the origional person to complain about him carrying was the head of the city council. (R)
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good observation. Politics is played at grassroots also. Not just a washington thing.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Other States”