Member llwatson's UTAH CHL class

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We are not going to be able to use PSC for the Utah class.

Sorry,
Chas.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jbirds1210 »

Ladies and gents-

I spoke with my mother a little while ago and she has granted us permission to use the outer dining room of their restaurant. The room seats 60. The restaurant is located in Texas City. I know this is a bit of a drive for some folks, but the rent is set at a good price. The room can be reserved free of charge if you guys are still willing to do it on Sunday November 19th in the afternoon. We could have a good snack and learn about Utah at the same time :grin: There is absoultely no need to purchase food, but it will be available if anyone wants to eat! I would love to attend...let me know if it is a go and I will get some directions together. Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by GlockenHammer »

I'll make that drive.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Crossfire »

You guys are killing me. I was hoping to be able to get closer to College Station, since I was gonna go down there and spend the night with my baby girl. Let me see what I can do about finding something closer. Everybody OK with that?

Glockenhammer, I know you are working with a time constraint, so I am keeping that in mind.

By the way, I got my Utah license in the mail today! Took the class Oct 14, mailed my app on the 17th (I had to find my NRA instructor card first) and received it in the mail today, Nov 6! That's 20 days, mailbox to mailbox!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Mike1951 wrote:Just to be clear, if a person has a Texas CHL, Utah will only add MN, NH, OH, and WA. Is that correct?

Are there any other advantages to a Utah CHL that I'm overlooking?
Mike, you are correct about reciprocity. The other advantages are:

1. Cost - the initial license is only $59

2. Renewal - there is no renewal class, and the fee to renew the license is only $10

3. There are certain reasons that you might not be eligible for a Texas CHL, but you may still be eligible for a Utah CFP, which would allow you to legally carry in Texas

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

llwatson wrote: By the way, I got my Utah license in the mail today! Took the class Oct 14, mailed my app on the 17th (I had to find my NRA instructor card first) and received it in the mail today, Nov 6! That's 20 days, mailbox to mailbox!
That's a good sign that Utah has quick administrative action.

As for location, I'm willing to drive some if needed, but the restaurant jbirds1210 has in mind is probably my favorite in the whole wide world. :drool:

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jbirds1210 »

It is 20 minutes south of the exit for PSC...and free. I do not mind driving anywhere you want to have the class. I can only attend on Sunday so that is my vote! Thanks.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

jbirds1210 wrote:It is 20 minutes south of the exit for PSC...and free. I do not mind driving anywhere you want to have the class. I can only attend on Sunday so that is my vote! Thanks.
Jason
And I'm sure jbirds and I will be happy to show you around PSC before or after class. We can probably even talk Charles into breaking out the evil Texas star for some fun!

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

Mike1951 wrote:
Just to be clear, if a person has a Texas CHL, Utah will only add MN, NH, OH, and WA. Is that correct?

Are there any other advantages to a Utah CHL that I'm overlooking?
Mike, you are correct about reciprocity. The other advantages are:

1. Cost - the initial license is only $59

2. Renewal - there is no renewal class, and the fee to renew the license is only $10

3. There are certain reasons that you might not be eligible for a Texas CHL, but you may still be eligible for a Utah CFP, which would allow you to legally carry in Texas
I guess I wasn't clear. Reciprocity isn't an issue for me with regards to a Utah CHL. My Texas CHL is good till 2011. Using PDO's license tool, the only added coverage I would gain are the four states I mentioned.

States, by the way, that in 55 years I've never had any reason to visit.

Several years ago, I got the NH non-res so I would have AL (at the time did not honor TX). That was important so I could travel across the South.

So many seem to be interested in Utah, I was wondering if I was overlooking a reason. I guess other folks travel wider than I do.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

repsychler
Posts in topic: 2

Post by repsychler »

Being from Minnesota and perpetually broke, Utah is looking like a good option to save some cash and have reciprocity back home.

Freedom4All

Post by Freedom4All »

llwatson,

Assuming that you have room for more students, I am also interested in attending the class that you are trying to set up in the Houston area. Is there a registration process? What materials are students required to bring to the class? How are you accepting payment?

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Well, looks like if we do it in Texas City, we have room for 60. There is no registration process, although I will ask for a headcount when we get closer so I bring enough applications and stuff.

Payment will be on the day of the class, cash or check only, no credit cards or live animals accepted.

You need to bring your Texas drivers license and Texas CHL. Nothing else required. No firearms, no ammo.

Freedom4All

Post by Freedom4All »

Thanks, sounds good. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the latest info.

One more question. I printed out the CFP application from the Utah DPS website and filled out as much as I could for now. Can I use that application or should I use the one that you provide and fill it out in class?

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The app you have is fine. I'll bring some for those who don't download one. I will also bring fingerprint cards and I will take your photos.

If Charles is able to come and do prints for us, then that's great. If not, you guys will have to go to your local PD to get printed. That is unless someone else knows a good printer who would like to do this for us. I will offer a free class to the person who does the prints. Any takers?

JRG

Post by JRG »

Can the class be taken if all I have currently is a Texas driver's license? I have taken the Texas CHL class and am on day 54 of the wait for the license to arrive.

Joe

Return to “Other States”