Top 10 Things I Learned on my Trip to Utah

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Top 10 Things I Learned on my Trip to Utah

Post by Crossfire »

1. Las Vegas is weird. It doesn’t matter what you have seen or heard; Vegas is even weirder than that.

2. It takes longer to get through the security checkpoint at McCarran airport than it does to fly from Vegas to DFW.

3. Cheap gas in Nevada is anything under $3 a gallon.

4. Utah CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit) holders can carry in schools! And bars!

5. You can drive through 3 states (Nevada, Arizona, and Utah) in less than an hour.

6. In order to get an Arizona CHL, you have to register your handguns. You cannot legally carry a handgun that is not listed, by serial number, on your license.

7. Slot machines are evil.

8. The Utah DPS has no idea why 42% of their applications come from non-residents.

9. A t-shirt packaged in the shape of a handgun will make it through airport security, but a tube of toothpaste will not.

10. There’s no place like home.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

Thanks for posting. That was humorous and enlightening.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

nitrogen

Re: Top 10 Things I Learned on my Trip to Utah

Post by nitrogen »

llwatson wrote: 6. In order to get an Arizona CHL, you have to register your handguns. You cannot legally carry a handgun that is not listed, by serial number, on your license.
What? Arizona doesn't have handgun registration, otherwise I was in violation of the law most of the time I lived in that state :shock:

I'm 99% sure this isn't the case. Where did you hear this?
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Top 10 Things I Learned on my Trip to Utah

Post by KBCraig »

nitrogen wrote:
llwatson wrote: 6. In order to get an Arizona CHL, you have to register your handguns. You cannot legally carry a handgun that is not listed, by serial number, on your license.
What? Arizona doesn't have handgun registration, otherwise I was in violation of the law most of the time I lived in that state :shock:

I'm 99% sure this isn't the case. Where did you hear this?
Did you have to list your carry guns by s/n on your license? If so, that's registration.

Arkansas started out with the same system, then it got tossed out by a state court, because it created a de facto gun registry.

According to the PDO page on Arizona, this is not the case. It's true for Clark County/Las Vegas, though.

Kevin

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I reviewed the Arizona DPS page and found no mention of recording hadngun serial numbers.

Also, the sample license shown appears to have no place for that info.

http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/default.asp
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Sorry, my bad. Not Arizona, but Nevada! There were instructors there from several states, and I got a couple of them confused.

Anyway, Nevada issues permits by county, and yes, it appears that you have to list your firearms on the license.

According to http://www.mtssa.org/nvcwplaw.htm Nevada Revised Statutes:

1. Any person may apply to the sheriff of the county in which he resides for a permit on a form prescribed by regulation of the department. Application forms for permits must be furnished by the sheriff of each county upon request.
2. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for no more than two specific firearms to any person who is qualified to possess a firearm under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Thanks, for the update, ll.

I also thought that perhaps your instructors had confused AR and AZ. I can't tell you how many times I've seen mail addressed to Phoenix, AR or Little Rock, AZ. Alaska (AK) gets thrown in the mix frequently, too.

Kevin

Return to “Other States”