traveling question

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
cobranx
Posts in topic: 2

traveling question

Post by cobranx »

I'm traveling from Killeen Texas to Thousand Oaks California for Christmas leave. I should be able to carry concealed in every state except California? As I understand it, in Cali I will have to have the weapon unloaded and the ammo seperate. Is this correct? My weapon doesn't have to be registered or anything since I am a visistor? What's the deal with open carry in Arizona? Thanks for helping me out. I've lurked the sight ever since I put my packet in about a year ago. You all are a great help. Jon

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum. I am going to let the experts help you, but just wanted to welcome you. Have a safe trip and thank you for your service to our Country. :patriot:

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

as a former arizona resident:
I wouldn't recommend open carry in the city at all. You will get hassled, especially if your car has out of state plates. Keep it concealed.
You cannot carry concealed into any restaurant in AZ that serves liquor. They have no 51% rule like we do here. That's probably the biggest gotcha. Also, any sign banning firearms has the force of law.

Also realise that indian reservations may not decide to honor an out of state permit. Keep on the highway if you are carrying concealed through an indian res.

As far as California, as long as you have no guns that qualify as an "assault weapon" you are fine. No registration. Keep ammo and guns separate, locked in the trunk, or in a locked container "not immidately accessible"

Also realize that mags with more than a 10 round capacity are illegal in california. Importing them into the state can be considered a crime, so id bring 10 rounders on your trip.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Firearms Owner Protection Act (FOPA) will not help you on your trip to California. In order for FOPA to apply, you have to be traveling from a state where it is legal for you to possess the gun to a place where it is also legal to possess it. Thus, FOPA would only help if you were passing through California. Putting the gun in the trunk won’t help you, unless California law has such a provision and I have no idea if it does. Perhaps someone who knows will chime in.

Welcome to TexasCHLforum.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard & hurry back to Texas. Be careful while there.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles hit the FOPA issue clearly...

I had the same issue when I was in the service traveling back and forth between Texas and California as well...But that was a few years ago, and the laws and ninny-ness of California was a bit less than it is now...

I hate to direct to information off of this website, but I have found that printing out each "states" info, particularly California's stuff and keeping it handy to study on your trip to be very helpful in guiding you to making as well informed decision as possible...

http://www.packing.org/state/california/

Good luck and have a safe and pleasant trip...

And welcome to the forum...

Let us know how your trip went...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
cobranx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cobranx »

So I understand, in California the weapon must be locked in a hard case and seperate from ammo. I thought the high cap mag ban elapsed? Last time I was in Cali, it had elapsed, and the gun shop owner stated that at that moment I could have brought my AK legally... So you can either carry concealed or open in Arizona? Thanks for all the help.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cobranx wrote:So I understand, in California the weapon must be locked in a hard case and seperate from ammo. I thought the high cap mag ban elapsed? Last time I was in Cali, it had elapsed, and the gun shop owner stated that at that moment I could have brought my AK legally... So you can either carry concealed or open in Arizona? Thanks for all the help.
You're CHL is good in Arizona, and although you can legally open carry in Arizona I wouldn't do it in the larger cities, such as Phoenix and Tuscon.

Return to “Other States”