Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Traveling Through Kansas

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

We're planning to travel through Kansas (on I-35 and 70) over the holidays.
From what I can find, KS doesn't have any CCW laws available until 1 Jan 2007, when they take effect.

This also means that no peaceable journey nor recognition of other states' CCW permits as well from what I can tell.

I guess we'll stop before the border, unload, pack the firearms away and move onward. *sigh* Over half of the trip is through KS.

If I've misinterpreted the current status in KS, would someone please let me know ?

Thanks--

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockenHammer »

You've got it right. <sigh>

1911Addict

Re: Traveling Through Kansas

Post by 1911Addict »

Piney wrote:Greetings--

We're planning to travel through Kansas (on I-35 and 70) over the holidays.
From what I can find, KS doesn't have any CCW laws available until 1 Jan 2007, when they take effect.

This also means that no peaceable journey nor recognition of other states' CCW permits as well from what I can tell.

I guess we'll stop before the border, unload, pack the firearms away and move onward. *sigh* Over half of the trip is through KS.

If I've misinterpreted the current status in KS, would someone please let me know ?

Thanks--
That is not quite correct. Kansas allows open carry. When I go to Kansas, at the border, Kimberly appears and sleeps openly on the dash. However, each city can have their own regulations (no premption (sp)). For example, in Wichita, no open carry is allowed. If it is on the dash, you are in trouble. Also, turnpike (I35) personnel could be potential problem. When I go up the panhandle on US83 into Kansas, there is no one out there and it is no problem. And no one out there would care. They all have their own firearms in reach. However, to ensure a unexciting trip, put her in the trunk. What is your final destination?

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Piney »

We're heading to CO. The I35N to I70W route is an alternate in case the other route across Texas isnt available. We may take the interstate through KS route back as we'll be driving it at night. That beats driiving through TX on 287 then North with all of the small towns along that route.

THese carry/no carry/display/no display *should* be taken care of as of 1 Jan when the new KS laws take effect. However their still may not be rulings from the KS AG office on honoring other states' licences by then.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Piney wrote:We're heading to CO. The I35N to I70W route is an alternate in case the other route across Texas isnt available. We may take the interstate through KS route back as we'll be driving it at night. That beats driiving through TX on 287 then North with all of the small towns along that route.

THese carry/no carry/display/no display *should* be taken care of as of 1 Jan when the new KS laws take effect. However their still may not be rulings from the KS AG office on honoring other states' licences by then.
Piney,

My Dad made that same route through Kansas on his way to Pueblo, CO. for that Little Britches Rodeo Finals earlier this year...

You might not be in Kansas long enough to worry about any of the usual stuff...

But to be on the safe side, I'd would also consider (unfortunately) unloading, locking up the firearm, and separating it from the ammo during that part of your transit...

Until Kansas settles down and we get a well defined idea of where they are going...I'd err on the side of caution...

But thats just my opinion...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Other States”