Ohio Senate overrides Governor's Veto of H.B. 347

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 1

Ohio Senate overrides Governor's Veto of H.B. 347

Post by SC1903A3 »

Looks like Ohio will be issuing CHLs soon .http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3432.html

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kw5kw »

And another state becomes "Shall Issue"!

Yes :!:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Actually, Ohio has already been shall-issue for a couple of years. This bill was mostly about preemption, and makes some very important changes.

The first is it removes the requirement for open carry in vehicles. Presently, persons without a concealed handgun permit cannot carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle, whether openly or concealed--that does not change. What does change is the requirement that permit holders openly carry in their vehicle, or else lock their weapon out of reach.

Another, more important, change is the standardization (state preemption) of firearms laws across Ohio. Some of the larger cities have passed "Assault Weapon Bans" which I believe were pretty much in line with the 1994 federal AWB. Those statutes are now invalid.

Additionally, some cities had passed laws prohibiting carry of firearms. I believe the Ohio CCW bill preempted these laws for permit holders, but there were still incidents--I read about one incident where a permit holder ended looking down the end of a local LEO's M4 because he got out of his car open carrying (as is required by law) and somebody called 911. Hopefully that will not happen any more because any local statutes relating to carry of firearms are now void with the passage of state preemption with this bill. Additionally those local statutes outlawed open carry without a permit, which is perfectly legal by Ohio state law and is now legal on foot throughout the state.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

Excellent!

The buckeyes sorely needed these changes. I'm sure Cleveland will tie it up in court for years, arguing that their restrictions should be grandfathered in, so there's no telling which way the state supreme court will rule.

Someone must have switched votes. I believe they needed 20 votes in the senate to override, but only 19 senators voted for the bill to begin with (I could have those numbers wrong, though.)

More and more states are starting to "get it".

Kevin

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

No more Chicago/Cook County special laws? I bet Mayor Daily has a killer case of acid reflux - and I love it!!

Chas.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:No more Chicago/Cook County special laws? I bet Mayor Daily has a killer case of acid reflux - and I love it!!

Chas.
Chas,

That would make me ecstatic. However, this was Ohio, not Illinois.
But we can all dream.

Former Illinoian,

Kind Regards,

Tom

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:No more Chicago/Cook County special laws? I bet Mayor Daily has a killer case of acid reflux - and I love it!!
*ahem*

That would be the mayor of Chicago, Ohio?

:grin:

Kevin

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tom wrote:

Chas.
Chas,

That would make me ecstatic. However, this was Ohio, not Illinois.
But we can all dream.

Former Illinoian,

Kind Regards,

Tom
:oops:

You don't know how tempted I am to delete my post! Oh well, I guess I'd better read a little better next time.

Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Chas.
Tum, ta Tum Tum Tummmmmm! (tm)

:smilelol5:

Daly deserve a good dose of indigestion!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Tum, ta Tum Tum Tummmmmm! (tm)
"The story you have just seen is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

On December 12, 2006 the above case went to trial in the legislature of Ohio.

In a moment the results of that trial.

<short pause>

"Governor's veto overturned"
The citizens of Ohio have yet won another battle in their 2A rights.

<Hammer hitting heavy metal twice>

This has been a Mark VII production.

:grin:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

With Gov. Taft going out of office in Jan. maybe Rick Perry will be able to get Reciprocity with Ohio. Taft is a known Anti. The incoming Gov. is more 2nd friendly.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

While Ohio clearly overriding Governor Taft's veto is great news in itself. I think we can find some comfort that it was a Democratic Governor getting beaten out by a very Democratic legislation. It took a 3/5s vote in both the house and senate.
Many of ius are nervous about the Democratic take over in Washington. While many of us don't like it at all (I certainly don't). This could be a good omen that the Dems have learned their lesson, and that a lot of them aren't going to be aggresively antis and that we stand a good chance of not returning to the days of evil gun bans and other such nonsense.

At least thats how I hope the next 2 years turn out.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Roger Howard wrote:With Gov. Taft going out of office in Jan. maybe Rick Perry will be able to get Reciprocity with Ohio. Taft is a known Anti. The incoming Gov. is more 2nd friendly.
Reciprocity falls under the AG's office (but Perry has made it happen). If Ohio has the same setup, then we're good... the incoming Ohio AG was one of the 21 state senators who voted to overturn the veto.

He's a pro-gun Democrat who beat an anti-gun Republican. Seems to be a lot of that going around.

Kevin

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

Last edited by Roger Howard on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

KBCraig wrote:
Roger Howard wrote:With Gov. Taft going out of office in Jan. maybe Rick Perry will be able to get Reciprocity with Ohio. Taft is a known Anti. The incoming Gov. is more 2nd friendly.
Reciprocity falls under the AG's office (but Perry has made it happen). If Ohio has the same setup, then we're good... the incoming Ohio AG was one of the 21 state senators who voted to overturn the veto.

He's a pro-gun Democrat who beat an anti-gun Republican. Seems to be a lot of that going around.

Kevin
Let's just hope we can add some more states this year

Return to “Other States”