DC Handgun carry ban ruled unconstituional

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gljjt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DC Handgun carry ban ruled unconstituional

Post by gljjt »

mamabearCali wrote:Yep....still not going to go anywhere near DC with a firearm. In fact I recommend just not going near DC. I don't trust anyone in that town any further than I can throw them.

Now if that policy holds for a while and we have reports of CHL ers being able to carry with out harassment my opinion might change.
This

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Well, so much for winning the lawsuit. A 180 stay has been issued so the DC thugs have time to come up with new carry laws or a 90 stay to give them time to appeal the ruling.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -gun-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

From the Washington Post
Judge puts D.C. handgun ruling on hold
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri ... _local_pop
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Interesting:
D.C. Gun Ruling Could Open Door To Universal Carry Laws (Updated)

In a surprising decision, a federal judge overturned Washington, D.C.’s open and concealed carry ban this past weekend. While the ruling has received some fanfare, few reports have paid attention to the section in the order that invalidated D.C.’s firearms residency requirements. Just lifting the ban would have affected the approximately 630,000 residents living within the District of Columbia, but the judge went a step further with his little noticed residency decree.

Legal experts say this is the first time a judge has ruled on—or even been presented with in this manner—the hot-button firearms issues of residency and reciprocity. The judge determined that non-residents cannot be barred from carrying handguns in D.C. simply because they do not live there. This establishes an uncharted precedent that has the potential to affect gun laws across the country.
In the interim, it has already made huge waves inside our nation’s capital.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dc- ... 00345.html
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but it is freshly dead. This is great, any updates? This came a month too late for me, while I was in Manassas for my BIL's funeral (Arlington) I had a couple of days on the backside where I could have slipped into D.C. and poked around (hadn't been there in thirty plus years) but didn't because of the gun laws. So I just stood on a hilltop near Bull Run and bit my thumb in their general direction.

Anyway, it's time:
:anamatedbanana
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

The city council passed a bogus "May Issue" process where you have to show cause for needing a concealed carry license.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

jmra wrote:The city council passed a bogus "May Issue" process where you have to show cause for needing a concealed carry license.
Passing water on a federal court is not going to win them any kudos.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

jmra wrote:The city council passed a bogus "May Issue" process where you have to show cause for needing a concealed carry license.
You didn't go far enough. The city council also passed that out of district people who wish to carry in D.C., are required to have the same permit as a resident and all the requirements are the same. This is to include a required need, that is acceptable to the D.C. Police Chief.

Return to “Other States”