CHL legal in California schools?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

CHL legal in California schools?

Post by mojo84 »

This surprised me some. Him being arrested by mistake or being disciplined by the school administrators doesnt surprise me .

http://www.guns.com/2014/08/29/junior-h ... on-campus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL legal in California schools?

Post by bigity »

California. What a place. I'm glad it's way aways from here.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I didn't think anyone but LEO's could carry at schools, is this a CA law?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The only surprise for me is that there is an administrator in a CA school system that not only owns, but carries a gun.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

VMI77 wrote:The only surprise for me is that there is an administrator in a CA school system that not only owns, but carries a gun.

I overlooked that point. :lol:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is not the first time that school officials have run afoul of the law over perceived gun issues.

Last week a faculty member at California State University San Marcos was surrounded by a SWAT team while carrying an umbrella that was mistaken for a gun.
Yep....that sounds like California. Carry an umbrella to school, run afoul of the law. :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wonder how they knew it was there in the first place. And even though charges were dropped and or he was released they have possibly ruined his career due their mistake. And the police will probably pay no penalty for their mistake.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Isn't there a federal law that prohibits anyone but LEO from having a firearm on school grounds though?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

android

Post by android »

locke_n_load wrote:Isn't there a federal law that prohibits anyone but LEO from having a firearm on school grounds though?
No, the federal law prohibits "unauthorized persons".

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

That's horse manure. I hope he ends up owning that county. Sadly the only way to teach these guys is by financial pain.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This is why I really hate the attitude of SOME cops that operate under the, "arrest them and let the DA, grand jury and courts sort it out. The individual that is being wrongfully arrested is the one that loses the most even if he/she eventually prevails. That's what the cops did in this case and look where the man is today.

them

Post by them »

California CWP holders actually have very few restrictions compared to Texas. No 51% so carry in bars is fine, no 30-06 so businesses don't put up signs to keep carriers out. I have honestly seen more "no sunglasses" signs than "no guns" signs in California businesses.

An employer can still fire you for violating company policy, and normal trespass rules apply, but a CA CWP is pretty nice if you can get one.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

them wrote:California CWP holders actually have very few restrictions compared to Texas. No 51% so carry in bars is fine, no 30-06 so businesses don't put up signs to keep carriers out. I have honestly seen more "no sunglasses" signs than "no guns" signs in California businesses.

An employer can still fire you for violating company policy, and normal trespass rules apply, but a CA CWP is pretty nice if you can get one.
That is a BIG if in most places in CA, especially the major population centers....

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

them wrote:California CWP holders actually have very few restrictions compared to Texas. No 51% so carry in bars is fine, no 30-06 so businesses don't put up signs to keep carriers out. I have honestly seen more "no sunglasses" signs than "no guns" signs in California businesses.

Why would anyone post a "no sunglasses" sign????
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

sjfcontrol wrote: Why would anyone post a "no sunglasses" sign????
I see them frequently at banks. I've forgotten once or twice and no one made a big deal.

...we take your safety seriously. That’s why our “No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses, No Backpacks” policy is important. Before you enter a branch, please leave any backpack or carrying case in the car and remove any garment that covers your head and face.

This policy will help:

Create a more secure atmosphere for members, as well as employees.
Reduce the risk for robberies.
Increase visibility of suspicious individuals.
Reduce bank fraud and identity theft.

Return to “Other States”