Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 1

DC Council votes to allow concealed carry

Post by jmra »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09 ... latestnews

WASHINGTON – A reluctant District of Columbia Council voted unanimously Tuesday to allow people to carry concealed handguns in the nation's capital for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Still not "shall issue"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Re: DC Council votes to allow concealed carry

Post by mojo84 »

I read somewhere, can't remember where at the moment, they made it to where it will be so difficult to obtain a permit that the back might as well be in place. Not sure how much progress was made here. Probably back to court it goes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MeMelYup »

"Residents and visitors who want to carry a concealed handgun would have to show a specific reason that they need one, among other requirements, and District leaders are hoping that the law would withstand further court challenges. But the attorney who challenged the ban on carrying guns has said the legislation is too restrictive and does not comply with the court ruling."

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

More and more it looks like Marion Barry was the most law abiding politician DC has ever had.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wonder how long it will be before the issue of "may issue" ends up in the Supreme Court. In the article it states that the DC law was patterned after other states like NJ and NY, whose "may issue" laws have withstood court challenges, but then there is CA, whose "may issue" law was ruled unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit. Of all courts, the 9th finds it unconstitutional!? How has it survived other states' challenges?

https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2014/ ... itutional/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

tacticool wrote:More and more it looks like Marion Barry was the most law abiding politician DC has ever had.
Classic "rlol"
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

TresHuevos wrote:
tacticool wrote:More and more it looks like Marion Barry was the most law abiding politician DC has ever had.
Classic "rlol"
Not so fast...

From the article, it appears he's still quite in the game there in the yankee capital:
"I don't believe in guns. I don't believe in carrying guns," said Councilmember Marion Barry, a Democrat and a former four-term mayor. "I think the public ought to understand that all of us here are doing something we really don't want to do."
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

"I don't believe in guns. I don't believe in carrying guns," said Councilmember Marion Barry, a Democrat and a former four-term mayor. "I think the public ought to understand that all of us here are doing something we really don't want to do."
That last sentence doesn't make sense.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

MeMelYup wrote:
Sure it does. Translation: "I think the public ought to understand that we don't want to respect their constitutional rights, but the court says we have to."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Pawpaw wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Sure it does. Translation: "I think the public ought to understand that we don't want to respect their constitutional rights, but the court says we have to."
Ok. Got it now.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Pawpaw wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Sure it does. Translation: "I think the public ought to understand that we don't want to respect their constitutional rights, but the court says we have to. (and we're going to do the absolute minimum that we must in order to try to keep the court happy, but nothing more than that.)"
There, fixed it for you.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Vol Texan wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Sure it does. Translation: "I think the public ought to understand that we don't want to respect their constitutional rights, but the court says we have to. (and we're going to do the absolute minimum that we must in order to try to keep the court happy, but nothing more than that.)"
There, fixed it for you.
:iagree:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Other States”