Moving to Louisiana, "transfer" permit?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mikeb95
Posts in topic: 1

Moving to Louisiana, "transfer" permit?

Post by mikeb95 »

strange question but figured I'd ask. I currently have a CCW permit in Texas and planning on moving to Louisiana next year, does anyone know if I have to apply for a CCW permit like any first timer in the state or could it be transferred or even skip some steps since there is reciprocity between states.

Thanks in advance

Jumping Frog

Re: Moving to Louisiana, "transfer" permit?

Post by Jumping Frog »

You start from scratch.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hpcatx »

Jumping Frog wrote:You start from scratch.
Yup. I went through this same process and can confirm. You do need to start from scratch. That said, when you change your address on your Texas CHL, it will automatically because a non-resident license and you can use it to carry in LA, until you can get your LA CHP. Not sure how long Baton Rouge is currently taking to issue permits, but I got my plastic after 45 days or so. I'd suggest checking out bayoushooter.com for current wait times.

A few key, negative differences in LA: There's no statutory requirement on signage, you need an extra 8 hours (on top of the 8 for the LA CHP) plus permission to carry in a place of worship, and the law reads that you should get approval before carrying into someone's residence. On the positive side, no need for a law like the MPA, since the French-style civilian code of LA extends a considerable number of the rights you have in your home to your vehicle -- especially when it comes to firearms, and worries about printing or otherwise exposing your conceal carry are a thing of the past with legal (but not really tolerated in large urban areas) open carry.

To where are you moving? If the New Orleans area, I'd be happy to recommend a good instructor, FFL, etc.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

hpcatx wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:You start from scratch.
Yup. I went through this same process and can confirm. You do need to start from scratch. That said, when you change your address on your Texas CHL, it will automatically because a non-resident license and you can use it to carry in LA, until you can get your LA CHP. Not sure how long Baton Rouge is currently taking to issue permits, but I got my plastic after 45 days or so. I'd suggest checking out bayoushooter.com for current wait times.

A few key, negative differences in LA: There's no statutory requirement on signage, you need an extra 8 hours (on top of the 8 for the LA CHP) plus permission to carry in a place of worship, and the law reads that you should get approval before carrying into someone's residence. On the positive side, no need for a law like the MPA, since the French-style civilian code of LA extends a considerable number of the rights you have in your home to your vehicle -- especially when it comes to firearms, and worries about printing or otherwise exposing your conceal carry are a thing of the past with legal (but not really tolerated in large urban areas) open carry.

To where are you moving? If the New Orleans area, I'd be happy to recommend a good instructor, FFL, etc.
Be careful on that one. Louisiana law says a LA resident MUST have a LA permit to carry. So, if you once transfer your residency, you will not be legal carrying on the TX permit in LA, even if you pay the $25 to change your TX license address.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hpcatx »

Keith B wrote:Be careful on that one. Louisiana law says a LA resident MUST have a LA permit to carry. So, if you once transfer your residency, you will not be legal carrying on the TX permit in LA, even if you pay the $25 to change your TX license address.
Thanks! A very important factor that I overlooked in my response and a potential legal trouble spot.

I've heard rumors that there's a 60-day grace period for which the non-resident license can be used, but I can't substantiate this in the law and wouldn't consider it valid. It may be purely based on the face that when the LA law changed in 2010 there is now a 60-day grace period after your license expiration during which you can still file for a renewal, which is in fact totally unrelated to the requirement that LA residents carrying only under LA licenses. My advice is to start the process as soon as you arrive regardless.

It's my understanding that this non-resident change in LA laws was an effort to prevent fees from going out-of-state to Florida. There was an estimated 4,100 folks carrying that way. If only the legislature had enacted changes that didn't recognize less intensive training or expressly considered folks moving to LA, we'd be in better shape coming from Texas. Best of luck!
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Return to “Other States”