Ohio will recognize Texas starting mid March, 2015

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Ohio will recognize Texas starting mid March, 2015

Post by Jumping Frog »

Ohio just passed a major firearms bill that is expected to take effect about March 12, 2015 (90 days after signing). (I'll edit this when the exact date is known.)

One of the bill provisions is Ohio will now honor concealed carry licenses from any state, regardless of reciprocity. So Texan CHLs will be able to carry in Ohio.

Another bill provision added a NICS check to the Ohio CHL application, which clears the way for Texas to recognize Ohio (per Texas law, we will recognize any state that requires the FBI check). So if you have friends or family visiting from Ohio, they will soon be able to carry while here.

:cheers2: :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ohio will recognize Texas starting mid March, 2915

Post by Keith B »

I probably won't be alive in 2915, so won't matter to me. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Scott B.

Re: Ohio will recognize Texas starting mid March, 2915

Post by Scott B. »

I'm willing to wait that long.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Skiprr

Re: Ohio will recognize Texas starting mid March, 2015

Post by Skiprr »

Changed the date in the title so folks wouldn't think it was 900 years away... ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

It still has to go to Governor Kasich's office. Have no idea where he stands on 2A. MDA is frothing at the mouth.
http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/12/10/ ... .html?rh=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:I probably won't be alive in 2915, so won't matter to me. :lol:
Durn iPhone typing . . . .

:roll: :oops:
ELB wrote:It still has to go to Governor Kasich's office. Have no idea where he stands on 2A.
He already said a long time ago he will sign it. I've heard he already signed it yesterday, but that is unconfirmed.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I don't see where it's been signed yet.

Here's the place to write the Governor and politely ask him to sign it. I did.
http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Contact/Co ... ernor.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From NRA ILA dated 11-December
Please now contact Governor Kasich and politely ask him to sign HB 234 into law.

Governor John Kasich
(614) 466-3555
Email: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... ernor.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

airboss

Post by airboss »

I literally got an out-of-state Florida license a few years back because I spend quite a bit of time in Ohio. Good news, tho.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Some other changes in this bill included:
  • The NICS check means Ohio CHL's will be able to purchase without an FFL performing a NICS check (just like Texas).
  • CLEO Signoff: A county sheriff must sign off on federal NFA forms for the $200 tax stamp if the person passes the same background check as a CHL.
  • They fixed the stupid Ohio definition of "automatic weapon" to conform with federal law. Used to be a 31 round magazine limit that has been removed.
  • An out of state resident employed in Ohio can get an Ohio non-resident CHL.
  • CHL training can be taught under auspices of a “national gun advocacy organization” not just NRA. No longer exclusive to the NRA.
  • Training requirements reduced from 12 hours to 8 hours. The 8 hours must include at least 2 hours on the range. The other training time can be online training so long as it has periodic questions that must be answered online. The range time must demonstrate competence in use, handling, storage and attitude to shoot safely.
  • Suppressors are now allowed while hunting.
  • Sheriffs will be permitted to use CHL funds for training. Many sheriffs conduct firearms training classes. These include CHL, hunter education, and Eddie Eagle classes. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
  • An Ohio license will not be revoked/suspended if a license holder moves out of state. It will remain valid until the state date of expiration.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

This is good news, I have the forms and was about to send in my app and fingerprints for an AZ CHL just to carry in Ohio. Most of my family is there and I visit quite often. The OH firearms laws regarding transport without a CHL are pretty ridiculous.

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

I've been waiting for this for a long time. Family is still there. I used to be there every other week for work.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Gov signed it :-)

http://www.guns.com/2014/12/20/ohio-gov ... essor-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I am so happy to have found this post. I'm planning a trip to PA from TX this summer. I was planning on driving thru West Virginia so I could avoid maryland, and carry the whole way. I'll definaltly be going thru Ohio now, and will be carrying the entire time! Awesome news!
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Just read on another forum that the effective date for the newly-passed Am. Sub. H.B. 234 is March 23, 2015:

Just for reference:
Governor Kasich signed Dec. 19, 2014
Filed with Secretary of State Dec. 22, 2014
90 days makes it March 23, 2015.

That is the date that Texas CHL's can carry in Ohio.

If someone wants to drive through Ohio before that date, the gun transport laws are pretty simple. PM me and I can let you know how to transport without any trouble prior to March 23rd.

Return to “Other States”