Pot smoking and concealed carry

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Pot smoking and concealed carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Pro-gun groups can find better issues to bring before the public and/or legislature. "Guns and dope," now that's some poster child for expanding Second Amendment rights. :banghead:

Chas.
:iagree:

It gets worse when it becomes OC demonstrators protesting for legal weed.

I favor OC. Additionally although I hate drugs and what they do to people, I think the "war on drugs" is an abject failure. So maybe legalization..... or at least decriminalization....is the way to go.

THAT SAID.....

It is an absolutely HORRIBLE idea to conflate gun rights and drug "rights" in public policy debates. All it does is convince the vast majority of people who remain in the middle ground and whom can still be persuaded one way or another that conflating these two issues is proof positive that 2nd Amendment advocates are crazy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:Easy Solution. The Federal Government needs to be kicked permanently out of all State business. As it should be.
Novel concept. Maybe we ought to put that in writing. :mrgreen:
It's already in writing:
Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
The daggum federal gummint just needs to start honoring the Constitution again.
I forgot to put my sarcasm script in the post.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I agree with both Charles and TAM. Firearms and Pot is not a "sane issue" at all to bring to light in front of a Nation full of people who wish to regulate the Legal behavior of others, however misguided that personal behavior may be thought. It is an issue none the less for the States. Are those citizens in Colorado who use marijuana as a recreational tool less of a citizen than those who drink Scotch? How about those citizens that have been prescribed medical marijuana? Are these citizens not allowed to defend themselves? Will we all soon need a note from our "federal doctor" to "legally" Bear Arms?

I don't have a clue about the Colorado Laws legalizing or decriminalizing Marijuana and could care less about pot in general but this movement sure looks like Liberty in action to me.

Imagine the idea of States ignoring Federal Legislation spreading to all 50 States. This could lead to bills being read before becoming Law and the return of "Constitutionality Debates" on the floor of both houses. How crazy is that? It may become totally insane and those Legislators may not pass any Bills at all. What would happen to "K Street"?

With all that free time on their hands "Citizen Legislators" can start Abolishing decades of overreach starting with the 17th Amendment. After that one is rolled back I think the retirement plan they voted into Law for themselves needs to be immediately criminalized and they can all start receiving Social Security checks like the rest of the huddled masses.

And I've only had 3 cups of coffee this morning. :biggrinjester:
III

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

rbwhatever1 wrote:I agree with both Charles and TAM. Firearms and Pot is not a "sane issue" at all to bring to light in front of a Nation full of people who wish to regulate the Legal behavior of others, however misguided that personal behavior may be thought. It is an issue none the less for the States. Are those citizens in Colorado who use marijuana as a recreational tool less of a citizen than those who drink Scotch? How about those citizens that have been prescribed medical marijuana? Are these citizens not allowed to defend themselves? Will we all soon need a note from our "federal doctor" to "legally" Bear Arms?

I don't have a clue about the Colorado Laws legalizing or decriminalizing Marijuana and could care less about pot in general but this movement sure looks like Liberty in action to me.

Imagine the idea of States ignoring Federal Legislation spreading to all 50 States. This could lead to bills being read before becoming Law and the return of "Constitutionality Debates" on the floor of both houses. How crazy is that? It may become totally insane and those Legislators may not pass any Bills at all. What would happen to "K Street"?

With all that free time on their hands "Citizen Legislators" can start Abolishing decades of overreach starting with the 17th Amendment. After that one is rolled back I think the retirement plan they voted into Law for themselves needs to be immediately criminalized and they can all start receiving Social Security checks like the rest of the huddled masses.

And I've only had 3 cups of coffee this morning. :biggrinjester:

Great post. Drink more joe and see what else you can give us.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by skeathley »

Easy Solution. The Federal Government needs to be kicked permanently out of all State business. As it should be.
They did. It's called the Constitution.

:anamatedbanana
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

skeathley wrote:
Easy Solution. The Federal Government needs to be kicked permanently out of all State business. As it should be.

I know. Your sarcasm detector must be defective. ;-)

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

anygunanywhere wrote:
skeathley wrote:

I know. Your sarcasm detector must be defective. ;-)
Sheldon Syndrome?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9R4I4a9YE
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Pro-gun groups can find better issues to bring before the public and/or legislature. "Guns and dope," now that's some poster child for expanding Second Amendment rights. :banghead:

Chas.

It gets worse when it becomes OC demonstrators protesting for legal weed.

I favor OC. Additionally although I hate drugs and what they do to people, I think the "war on drugs" is an abject failure. So maybe legalization..... or at least decriminalization....is the way to go.

THAT SAID.....

It is an absolutely HORRIBLE idea to conflate gun rights and drug "rights" in public policy debates. All it does is convince the vast majority of people who remain in the middle ground and whom can still be persuaded one way or another that conflating these two issues is proof positive that 2nd Amendment advocates are crazy.
I used to think legalizing the illegal drugs was the answer but now I really do not see that as helping the problem anymore. I realize that other countries have legalized some of what we consider illegal but expecting things to turn out here like it did in other countries is unrealistic. I would liken it to implementing the gun control laws that England has here in the US - we would see a much different response here due to our different cultures.
As for the drugs, take Philadelphia for instance, I was watching a NatGeo program on the drug problem in Philly. If I remember correctly there are around 44,000 abandoned buildings there that the druggies use to hand out and do their drugs and to live in. There are large areas that look like war torn areas in third world countries and no business owner in their right mind will ever want to come into that area (well, with the exception of the drug dealers). As long as people flock to that area to buy and use drugs it will only get worse. There is no realistic expectation that those addicted will live a normal life, work their jobs, raise their families and just practice recreational drug use. They are addicts and their entire life revolves around how and when they will get their next fix. The drug problem is so rampant that the Police seem to ignore it and have given in to the idea that they cannot beat the problem. When they run across people on the street that admit to just shooting up, they do not arrest them even though they find used syringes and other drug related items on them. You may say that marijuana is different since it does not seem to be as addicting but that could be argued too. I realize the show only shows one aspect of that large area but it is a small picture of what it could turn out to be when people who wish to live that lifestyle are given over to it and left alone.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Saw this in TheGunMag.com, Feb 2015 issue, it's a 2nd Amendment Foundation publication.

After Initiative 529 in WA, 'Evergreen State pot smokers are suddenly realizing they can no longer buy or borrow firearms privately because they either have to expose themselves as users of a controlled substance, or commit perjury on the federal Form 4473.'
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Other States”