MD - Valid Concern?

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

MD - Valid Concern?

Post by chasfm11 »

We often travel from TX to PA and there is no good way to get there without going through MD. During last year's trip, we went through KY and ended up in Western MD for more than 3 hours but typically we take I-81 and there is only about a 15 mile stretch that falls within the MD borders. I take the time to separate and lock everything according to FOPA, usually at the Flying J truck stop right at the VA border on the way up. I have to make a special effort in PA to pull off on the way down to secure our guns and ammo.

I recognize that this article is based on experiences on I-95 and that in most cases, the firearm issue was not the given reason for the stop. Considering that TCIC should not be available to a MD officer, there should be no way for them to know about my CHL. Still, the idea of being targeted because of our TX plates seems real. I'm super cautious about not violating any traffic regulations while in MD but like most other interstates, the actual speeds are no where near the posted limits and I'm not anxious to have a speed differential either. There always seems to be a high number of MD officers working that small stretch of road. WVA and PA, by comparison, have very limited enforcement activity that we've seen.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -for-traf/
By Kelly Riddell - The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 30, 2014

It would be very tempting to simply breeze on through since the total time in MD is less than 20 minutes. It could be a very costly mistake to make, based on the article. I see zero chance that I wouldn't be asked about guns if I was stopped. My hope would be that the MD officer understood FOPA as well as I do.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Re: MD - Valid Concern?

Post by Jumping Frog »

I lived in that part of Maryland for a few years, many years ago. My disgust for the political climate found me gaining employment elsewhere. Absolutely, I would be super careful to follow every traffic law, including the speed limit, since it is only a 15 mile stretch. After all, traveling 85 mph instead of 65 mph saves 13 seconds per mile, or just over 3 minutes for 15 miles. It simply it not worth giving those {inappropriate language} any excuse for a traffic stop.

And if one is stopped anyway, I'd have my spouse video the encounter while the voice recorder in my pocket was running. When asked, I would state that I do not consent to a search but will comply with lawful orders.

That is the best that I can do. Other than that, we are at the mercy of roadside tyranny.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dadtodabone »

I-81 has been seeing an increase in all types of enforcement since the completion of I-26 in NC. I-26/i-81 had become a major transport route for drug traffickers due to the low level of patrol activity.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jumping Frog wrote:I lived in that part of Maryland for a few years, many years ago. My disgust for the political climate found me gaining employment elsewhere. Absolutely, I would be super careful to follow every traffic law, including the speed limit, since it is only a 15 mile stretch. After all, traveling 85 mph instead of 65 mph saves 13 seconds per mile, or just over 3 minutes for 15 miles. It simply it not worth giving those {inappropriate language} any excuse for a traffic stop.

And if one is stopped anyway, I'd have my spouse video the encounter while the voice recorder in my pocket was running. When asked, I would state that I do not consent to a search but will comply with lawful orders.

That is the best that I can do. Other than that, we are at the mercy of roadside tyranny.
It is my understanding that any sort of recording of LE and politicians could be considered illegal in MD. The case with bike rider who used a helmut cam to record a traffic stop and then posted it on the internet was thrown out by a judge but it may be another case of not avoiding the ride if the recording is detected. There are a couple of links like this one
http://reason.com/blog/2010/05/29/maryl ... ts-illegal

There is no way that I would fly along I-81 in MD at much more than 70 (zoned 65mph) in trying to stay with the traffic. I generally pick a truck and stay a safe following distance behind it. I've hoped that would be sufficient to make the short drive without incident because of my Texas plates.

It is truly a shame when one can drive nearly 1,500 miles with a firearm close by and then possibly be subjected to problems in just 15 miles because of it. I really had less concern going through Western MD because they just don't think like the Baltimore bureaucrats. Unfortunately, the State Police who serve it are not necessarily native to that area.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dum Spiro, Spero

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

Once the Tx/ Ohio recognition takes effect next Spring you will be able to go to Pa a couple different ways avoiding Md. Going up through Cincinnati even avoids Il. Anything beyond Pa. is a problem though.
N5PNZ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I-79 goes right up into PA without entering MD. And so does I-70 from a little more eastward.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

C-dub wrote:I-79 goes right up into PA without entering MD. And so does I-70 from a little more eastward.
I traveled from PA to Texas last summer, and found a decent route (Google Maps) that avoided MD. We ended up going west a bit in Southern PA and ended up working our way thru Bowling Green KY and Horse/Bourbon country to Nashville TN. It was actually a pretty nice ride vs the death march thru VA. We go that way every summer and rather than disarm in the Arbys in VA and re-arm at the PA Welcome center, I'll enjoy the nice ride through Kentucky and avoid MD altogether. Definitely recommend the route, and it wasn't any longer of a drive.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

C-dub wrote:I-79 goes right up into PA without entering MD. And so does I-70 from a little more eastward.
I try to avoid I-79 in WV or SW Pa if I'm in a hurry.
I generally use I-30 to Little Rock, I-40 to Nashville, I-65 to Louisville, I-71 to either Columbus or up near Akron, I-70 from Columbus to Pa. or I-76 through Akron to I-80. If Illinois becomes more gun friendly I may use the St Louis/ Indianapolis way again.
N5PNZ

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I will be making the TX to PA trip this summer. I was so happy to learn about Ohio. The last time I drove up there, I went thru West Virginia and cut into PA from I-68 and drove thru Sommerset, PA heading up to NE PA area.

This time I'll be going up thru Ohio to I-80 and will carry the entire time! This is a great great thing.

(for hams out there, I'm wondering how much activity I'll find on 146.52 simplex this trip)

Now, if only Maryland would become gun friendly.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Near as I can tell from similar stories is that in MD you must have your unloaded gun in a locked metal container and the ammunition in a separate locked metal container. Otherwise you will be arrested if found not in this condition.

Now to me they have no right to search the car if you decline the request. However, if they find you have a CHL who knows.

My Texas plates got me extra searching when I went to Canada. MD may now be as bad.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

2farnorth wrote:If Illinois becomes more gun friendly....
Illinois now allows out of state CHL's to have a loaded handgun in the car with them. You cannot take the loaded gun out of the car, so I wouldn't stop for fuel and a meal. But driving armed across Illinois is now legal since they implemented the Illinois concealed carry law.

Since I would not risk a felony based on the unsubstantiated advice of someone on an internet forum, here is the law posted by the Illinois State Police: https://www.ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public ... heAct.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is on the page under 430 ILCS 66/40m Sec. 40 (e).
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

magillapd wrote:I will be making the TX to PA trip this summer. I was so happy to learn about Ohio. The last time I drove up there, I went thru West Virginia and cut into PA from I-68 and drove thru Sommerset, PA heading up to NE PA area.

This time I'll be going up thru Ohio to I-80 and will carry the entire time! This is a great great thing.

(for hams out there, I'm wondering how much activity I'll find on 146.52 simplex this trip)

Now, if only Maryland would become gun friendly.
Some parts of MD are more gun friendly than others. Apparently the Western part of MD is as unhappy with the State government and its policies as the rest of us are and there is at least a movement for it to secede from the rest of the State. The Eastern Shore is redneck heaven and most of us would fit right in with the people there.

I found no Ham activity at all going up I-81 through MD and into PA. I had programmed local repeaters at various points in addition to the simplex. There is a lot of dead air. We haven't gone through OH because that route to Ephrata is not RV friendly and the PA Turnpike fees for 250+ miles would be $80. Be careful if you use the Turnpike. They just jacked up the rates and they are much worse for anyone without their equivalent of an EZPass.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

chasfm11 wrote:Some parts of MD are more gun friendly than others. Apparently the Western part of MD is as unhappy with the State government and its policies as the rest of us are and there is at least a movement for it to secede from the rest of the State. The Eastern Shore is redneck heaven and most of us would fit right in with the people there.
That may help if you are stopped by the right county deputy sheriff, but it will be no help at all with MD State Police.

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:Some parts of MD are more gun friendly than others. Apparently the Western part of MD is as unhappy with the State government and its policies as the rest of us are and there is at least a movement for it to secede from the rest of the State. The Eastern Shore is redneck heaven and most of us would fit right in with the people there.
That may help if you are stopped by the right county deputy sheriff, but it will be no help at all with MD State Police.
:iagree: But I'm not sure that all of the State troopers buy into the Baltimore mentality. When I drove the Eastern Shore a fair amount (worked out of Wilmington), I never remember seeing a State LEO.

I don't take chances in MD - period. I also drove the I-95 corridor a lot and felt like there was a lot of out of State discrimination going on, though I never had any experiences myself. At the time, I was a PA resident. I had my pick of airports to fly into and that area and I specifically avoided Baltimore.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Other States”