Carry in Other States - What a Mess

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Carry in Other States - What a Mess

Post by anygunanywhere »

The wife and I are taking a trip to Norfolk, Virginia the next two weeks with a couple of stops on the way there and back. We are going to a reunion of crew mates who served on the submarine I served on. It is the 50th anniversary of the launching and will be quite the event.

I went to http://www.handgunlaw.us and copied much of the information there and reviewed the specific laws for each state we will go through.

All I can say is what a mishmash of laws! No consistency whatsoever especially with churches and signs having force of law. Restaurant carry is pretty consistent. Contrary to what the OC types say there is a pretty broad range of OC as well. There are plenty of "OC is legal but" and "Churches are off limits unless" and many other restrictions.

One thing I know for certain. For all of the griping and complaining we do and hear on this forum, after spending the last three hours reviewing Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Arkansas laws, We have it pretty good here in Texas. Our laws are simple and clear compared to the longwinded legislative mumbo jumbo that other states pass for firearms laws. Yes their permits might be cheaper but I am of the opinion we have it much better.

I truly think that we will make some serious advances this legislative session even if OC goes nowhere.

It would be nice if states could get together and streamline the restrictions like traffic laws are. It sure would make things easier. Probably never happen.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

chasfm11

Re: Carry in Other States - What a Mess

Post by chasfm11 »

If you want some real fun, go look at the State laws concerning RVs. While all States provide reciprocity on your driving license (unless you are violating your own State's requirements as some do), there is almost no other standardization. For example, we have a motor home and tow a car. Trying to figure out the towing requirements and whether the car is considered a trailer and subject to a litany of trailer requirements and limits is almost impossible. In Texas, for example, a trailer over 4,500lbs must have supplemental braking. All States specify a break-away system but provide little or no guidance about what meets their requirements. Typically, you can put tow lights on (brake, turn signal, hazard) but some States will issue a citation if the towed car's license plate is not illuminated (usually a towed car will obscure the motor home license plate from the rear view).

Then you get into whether the house portion is a vehicle and subject to open container alcohol requirements. Texas is one of the few States with a clear exemption for that. Out on the fringe is the often heated discussions among the RVers as to whether the seat belt rules apply in a motor home or whether it is treated like a bus and interior movement is permitted underway.

I do realize that violations of State gun rules or deadly force rules are treated more seriously than RV rule violations. My point was simply that the States do not work together in other areas so it isn't surprising to me that they lack consistently in gun related matters.

We've traveled through the same States as you are, many of them on last year's trip. I generally put together a single page spreadsheet with the States in rows on the left and then I have columns for the things that I think I need to worry about. The first column is officer notification on a stop. The second is usually whether "no gun" signs have the force of law. It is a quick and easy way to refresh my memory as we cross State borders. Just feel lucky that you don't have to go through MD as we do when going to PA.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

Carry... Shoot, just "transport" through other states is a mess. So I end up with a bunch of different locked containers outside of the RV for storage of ammo and disassembled firearms and hope that's compliant enough... And largely that's to transport rifles...

I know that I almost broke the law in Arkansas at a State Park last year, which scared me a bit. You'll have to know about 3-pages of text backwards and forwards per state to be able to do it with any certainty..

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote:Contrary to what the OC types say there is a pretty broad range of OC as well. There are plenty of "OC is legal but" and "Churches are off limits unless" and many other restrictions.
I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned this FACT on other sites and been called anti-2nd Amendment, misinformed, a gun-grabber, etc., etc., etc., by people who are pretty clearly dead from the neck up.

At some point I just relegate them to the short bus and move on. You can't fix stupid.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

chasfm11 wrote:(OCW Redacted Previous statements)We've traveled through the same States as you are, many of them on last year's trip. I generally put together a single page spreadsheet with the States in rows on the left and then I have columns for the things that I think I need to worry about. The first column is officer notification on a stop. The second is usually whether "no gun" signs have the force of law. It is a quick and easy way to refresh my memory as we cross State borders. Just feel lucky that you don't have to go through MD as we do when going to PA.
Actually, though it can be a pain, you can go around MD on your way to PA and go through WV.

I once drove an extra 100 miles on my way to south central Wisconsin from Houston so that I avoided Illinois.

Depends on how strongly you feel about it. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Two summers I was able to take the family on a 2 week travel vacation through 11 states. We had a great time.

Before we went, I researched the laws in each state we expected to visit. The rules were so complicated I ended up making a cheat sheet with rows and columns. Carry in a bar ok? Carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol ok? Carry at a highway service area? City parks? State parks? Wildlife management areas? Required to inform LEO during traffic stop? Carry in plain site okay without permit? Which states honor which other states permits? All different in all states.

There should be a single federal law to cover it all. Something like...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I travel only through Arkansas and Tennessee and it's a pain keeping updated on firearms Laws. I spent a lot of time with the gator Navy on many ships going somewhere so I just have to ask. Got any permanent dents in your forehead? How about them shins?

Have a great trip and I hope you have an awesome reunion with your fellow submariner's in Norfolk!
III

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

rbwhatever1 wrote:I travel only through Arkansas and Tennessee and it's a pain keeping updated on firearms Laws. I spent a lot of time with the gator Navy on many ships going somewhere so I just have to ask. Got any permanent dents in your forehead? How about them shins?

Have a great trip and I hope you have an awesome reunion with your fellow submariner's in Norfolk!
The reunions are a blast. Getting together with the band of brothers is always good. No permanent scars from pipes or watertight doors.

Thanks for the good words.

The sad part is the growing list of brothers who are on eternal patrol. May they rest in peace.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

anygunanywhere wrote: The sad part is the growing list of brothers who are on eternal patrol. May they rest in peace.
Sad indeed and your team was much smaller than mine. I receive the Semper Fidelis Memorandum every quarter and it's always hard reading the names in the Taps section when I come across someone I served with.
III

Gaidheal
Banned

Post by Gaidheal »

I agree with others in this thread. While some things about our licencing in Texas seem burdensome to me, I do very much like that Texas is plain and clear on what is and is not permitted and our 30.06 signage provisions are very good when compared to some states' alternative.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:(OCW Redacted Previous statements)We've traveled through the same States as you are, many of them on last year's trip. I generally put together a single page spreadsheet with the States in rows on the left and then I have columns for the things that I think I need to worry about. The first column is officer notification on a stop. The second is usually whether "no gun" signs have the force of law. It is a quick and easy way to refresh my memory as we cross State borders. Just feel lucky that you don't have to go through MD as we do when going to PA.
Actually, though it can be a pain, you can go around MD on your way to PA and go through WV.

I once drove an extra 100 miles on my way to south central Wisconsin from Houston so that I avoided Illinois.

There you go....

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Oldgringo wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:

There you go....
We visit in the Southeastern part of the PA. Any place that you enter PA in the Southwest generally ends up with having to spend 200+ miles on the PA Turnpike to get to our destinations. It is almost $2 just to cross from the Harrisburg East shore to the Harrisburg West Shore in a passenger car. They charge RVs towing cars like they do mult-axle trucks. While I feel strongly about MD, I feel more strongly about not dropping the better part of a C note to drive that more-potholes-than-asphalt toll road.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

chasfm11 wrote:
{snip}

We visit in the Southeastern part of the PA. Any place that you enter PA in the Southwest generally ends up with having to spend 200+ miles on the PA Turnpike to get to our destinations. It is almost $2 just to cross from the Harrisburg East shore to the Harrisburg West Shore in a passenger car. They charge RVs towing cars like they do mult-axle trucks. While I feel strongly about MD, I feel more strongly about not dropping the better part of a C note to drive that more-potholes-than-asphalt toll road.
We fully understand the $$$ thing. If there is any reasonable way to get where we're going other than Interstate and Freeways, we'll take it. We're the two old geezers clogging up traffic up ahead. :roll:

comp73

Post by comp73 »

Another fellow Bubblehead :patriot:

I spent all my time on fast attacks, first in Groton then in San Diego. Thats pretty awesome about the reunion. Neither of the boats I served on has had one, at least not recently when I could go.

I won't start with the whole FA/Boomer thing :mrgreen: and just end with you're either qualified or you're not. :cheers2:
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Other States”