More Big Brother: NYC's Gunshot Detection System

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

More Big Brother: NYC's Gunshot Detection System

Post by Vol Texan »

It seems that this system doesn't really perform as expected. But, as expected, the city has found more uses for it anyway.

http://fusion.net/story/107298/is-nycs- ... ersations/

From the article:
As Tyrone Lyles lay dying from a gunshot wound on an East Oakland street in 2007, he let out a few last words that would ultimately help authorities convict his killer.

“Why you done me like that, Ar?” he pleaded. “Ar, why you do me like that, dude?”

The exchange, which was used in court, was recorded by ShotSpotter, a gunshot detection system that has been installed in over 90 cities across the country. By placing a series of microphones around high-crime neighborhoods, the system is able to pinpoint the location of where a gunshot took place with surprising accuracy, leading to faster response times from police.
A 2013 investigation of ShotSpotter devices in Newark, NJ, found that 75 percent of the gunshot alerts had been for false alarms.
“Today, we are rolling out cutting edge technology to make the city safer, to make our neighborhoods safer, to keep our officers safer,” NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio said in an appearance with police commissioner William J. Bratton to announce the initiative. “This gunshot detection system is going to do a world of good in terms of going after the bad guys.”

But cases in which microphones have picked up incriminating evidence have raised the eyebrows of privacy advocates, who note that there could be Fourth Amendment implications.

“We are always concerned about secondary uses of technology that is sold to us for some unobjectionable purpose and is then used for other purposes,” Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project, told Take Part. “If [ShotSpotter] is recording voices out in public, it needs to be shut down.”
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

mr1337

Re: More Big Brother: NYC's Gunshot Detection System

Post by mr1337 »

Absolutely violating the 4th Amendment if it's being used as anything except to locate the source of a gunshot sound.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

ErnieP

Post by ErnieP »

Chicago has had these for years.....before CHL passed. Sent notification and flashing red lights.

tms119

Post by tms119 »

With these and those false cell towers, they know everything we're saying anyways. If you want complete privacy first thing to do is have no cellphone and then move far from any city. Even then youll prob be spotted by a Google Truck lol.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Not necessary in NYC as guns are illegal there.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mr1337 wrote:Absolutely violating the 4th Amendment if it's being used as anything except to locate the source of a gunshot sound.
It would be interesting to test the constitutionality of it.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

mr1337 wrote:Absolutely violating the 4th Amendment if it's being used as anything except to locate the source of a gunshot sound.

Wouldn't that be similar to having cameras every where?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Not only that, they also have long range scanners that are man portable to do a high tech strip search of you to look for guns. It is unconstitutional, unwarranted searches are unconstitutional. Wash DC and NYC both have these scanners. You could be walking down the street and all they have to do is point it at you and look at the video screen.

NYC is using a lower tech unit that is designed to see through your clothes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/2 ... 44687.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Washington DC has a high tech unit that can see through your car doors.

Return to “Other States”