NM passes no more forfeiture without conviction

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
android
Posts in topic: 1

NM passes no more forfeiture without conviction

Post by android »

Please move if this is not the right forum.

This is absolutely how it should be done.
the New Mexico bill requires a criminal conviction for forfeiture actions, bolsters the “innocent owner” defense by requiring that the owner know that his/her property was being used illegally, requires that all forfeiture proceeds be deposited into the general fund rather than into the seizing agencies, and limits the ability of state and local law enforcement agencies to circumvent state law by utilizing the federal equitable sharing program.
http://www.cato.org/blog/kudos-new-mexi ... forfeiture

Is there anything on the TX legislative radar to clean up the abuse of civil forfeiture?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Re: NM passes no more forfeiture without conviction

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

android wrote:Please move if this is not the right forum.

the New Mexico bill requires a criminal conviction for forfeiture actions, bolsters the “innocent owner” defense by requiring that the owner know that his/her property was being used illegally, requires that all forfeiture proceeds be deposited into the general fund rather than into the seizing agencies, and limits the ability of state and local law enforcement agencies to circumvent state law by utilizing the federal equitable sharing program.

Is there anything on the TX legislative radar to clean up the abuse of civil forfeiture?
Now thats an excellent piece of legislation.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
android wrote:Please move if this is not the right forum.

Now thats an excellent piece of legislation.
:iagree:
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

HB3171 by Simpson.

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

While I agree that it seems a good bill to pass, I'm curious as to how much of an issue it really is. It's one of those areas that I've never encountered or heard people discuss that much.

CJD

Post by CJD »

joelamosobadiah wrote:While I agree that it seems a good bill to pass, I'm curious as to how much of an issue it really is. It's one of those areas that I've never encountered or heard people discuss that much.
There are examples of people being found not guilty and still not receiving property back. One source I saw said 80% of cases where civil forfeiture occurred were found not guilty. Billions of dollars of cash and property being seized and not returned. You don't hear of it because media doesn't cover it much.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

joelamosobadiah wrote:While I agree that it seems a good bill to pass, I'm curious as to how much of an issue it really is. It's one of those areas that I've never encountered or heard people discuss that much.
There was a great 60 Minutes piece (I believe) on this a few months ago and how common it is. (may have been CNN). People arrested for no reason and all charges dropped, but lost a portion of confiscated money or possessions. All essentially for no reason.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

You need to visit with some cops from your local LE agencies. Ours have all sorts of assets that were seized. Some convictions went through, some didn't.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

IT's leverage, if nothing else. If I'm on the way to buy a tractor and I'm stopped, I don't want to worry about the cash disappearing... Having it happen once would be enough for me.

I'm just sorry that this legislation is necessary.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Good bill. Lot of stories about people having cash, jewelry, etc. confiscated and not returned despite no conviction. If you have a large sum of cash, they take it. Then you have to sue (with the requisite expense) to have it returned. In a lot of cases the government will offer to "settle" for a percentage of what they took. With the implied threat that the legal proceedings to get the rest back would be costly.

But my big thing is the Constitution has prohibitions against depriving citizens of life, liberty, or property absent due process. The confiscations take place outside the due process bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiGRMD4NXVA
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

It's a sad day when just the mere presence of a large amount of cash is reason for suspicion or confiscation in these United States.

By the way, a large amount of cash is relative. My wife worked for a guy that was an heir to one of the largest fortunes in America. One day he was buying a coke. He handed her a $20. She ask him if he had any small bills, his response was, "that IS a small bill".
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/institutefo ... or-profit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last month, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that the District Attorney’s Office in Tarrant County, Texas seized $3.5 million, plus almost 250 cars and 440 computers in fiscal year 2013, roughly equal to about 10 percent of its budget. Of the property seized, almost $845,000 was spent on salaries for 16 employees at the office. By comparison, only $53,000 went to “six nonprofits that benefit victims or prosecution efforts.”
https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law- ... naha-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.texasobserver.org/preying-in ... orfeiture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could Google on....
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

Thanks for all the links guys! I have family in LE, it was just a topic that hadn't come up. It was a good conversation starter to say the least! Definitely looks like an issue that needs to be fixed.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

When those in authority have a financial incentive to seize property [or levy taxes] you've created a problem.

Good/sad reading here:

http://reason.com/tags/asset-forfeiture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

android wrote:This is absolutely how it should be done.
Yeah, sorta, I guess... But IMHO that's like saying a law which prohibits the government from getting bored and bulldozing somebody's house is "how it should be done"... It's better than a law stating the opposite, but the simple fact that it's become necessary means we're past the canary in the coal mine WRT government corruption.

Speaking of which I'm kinda curious about the legal justification for it working any other way... I mean if the government's premise is that they can seize the assets of criminals because <reasons>, they can't continue to use the same justifications once they've failed to prove you're a criminal. Wouldn't laws that state otherwise be a violation of the 4th amendment?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Other States”