Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Suggestion for carrying in other states

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

CHL'ers:

Based upon a few horror stories I've read on other forums, I would suggest that anyone planning to carry on a Texas CHL in a reciprocal state go to the DPS website and print a copy of the Reciprocal Agreement with that state. DPS has recently posted a PDF copy of the signed agreement. Most of the Reciprocal states also have web site links on the DPS site, so it wouldn't hurt to print a copy of whatever they have as well.

Let's face it; it would be pretty easy to run into a LEO who simply doesn't know all of the States whose CHL's are honored by his state, so a little documentation couldn't hurt. Of course this is no guarantee you won't have any problems, but it may at least get someone to check it out, before hauling you to jail.

Regards,
Chas.

Reciprocal agreements are at: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Chas,
Great idea. I have printed the ones for the states in which I most frequently travel and put them in my briefcast. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I also keep in my Palm Pilot the text of 18 U.S. Code 926A, which over-rides state laws to allow transport of weapons through fire-arm hostile states. I have found that many police officers are not familiar with that provision of U.S. law, which states:

" Interstate transportation of firearms - Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. "

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but if you do have to transit a firearm-hostile state, that might be useful to know.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I actually did that - printed out the reciprocity agreement with Arkansas when we drove to Hot Springs to visit my wifes family for Thanksgiving.
I figured just in case, it couldn't hurt.
"An armed society is a polite society"

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

If you have a CHL from any state, in my opinion, who cares. Since we have a provision in Texas for carrying, I wouldn't give a rip what state it is from. What a waste of a LEO's time to try and figure out whose state honors what, and blah, blah, blah.....

Just my opinion.

Glenn

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I agree with Glenn

I like Missouri's law.
You have a CHL
You can carry.
It doesn't matter where it's from.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

Chas,

Thanks for the tip. It's nice to see Colorado added to the list.
Now if N.M. were just on the list.

Eagleeye

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If and when we ever get reciprocity with Ohio (we came semi-close last year), be sure to research their screw-ball provision regarding CHLers vehicle carry before doing so there. Hopefully their legislature will get it fixed before it gets someone shot ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “Other States”