Oregon working on reciprocity

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 2

Oregon working on reciprocity

Post by Jasonw560 »

It's up again, and they are having a committee meeting on it tentatively Monday. They call it a "work session". I say tentatively because they've postponed it twice.

If anyone is interested (and not burned out by the legislative process), here's a link to watch the "work session":
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oregon working on reciprocity

Post by harrycallahan »

With Texas!
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

Topic author
Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jasonw560 »

harrycallahan wrote:With Texas!
They want to open it up to all states that have similar laws as they do. We would be one of them, I believe.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

If Oregon recognized other state license's, then I would actually consider taking a class at Thunder Ranch. As it stands now, I have a hard time understanding how Clint Smith thought moving his training business to a state where none of his out of state trainees could carry made sense.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

I would LOVE for Oregon to adopt reciprocity with TX. Currently, they only recognize their own CHL, and only residents of neighboring states may apply for non-resident CHL's. That makes it impossible for the majority of the country to carry when traveling there.

Of course, there's open carry - but that is not preempted by state law. Cities can pass ordinances against OC, like Portland already has.

Ohio, hopefully Nevada soon, and also hopefully Oregon soon. 2015 is going to be a good year for reciprocity!
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

mr1337 wrote:I would LOVE for Oregon to adopt reciprocity with TX. Currently, they only recognize their own CHL, and only residents of neighboring states may apply for non-resident CHL's. That makes it impossible for the majority of the country to carry when traveling there.

Of course, there's open carry - but that is not preempted by state law. Cities can pass ordinances against OC, like Portland already has.

Ohio, hopefully Nevada soon, and also hopefully Oregon soon. 2015 is going to be a good year for reciprocity!
We can only hope. I don't expect that many of the remaining States besides the ones that you mentioned are open to reciprocity with Texas. The right and left coasts and IL are so blue that they would go into cardiac arrest if they even imagined Texans with CHLs carrying in their States. Just possessing a gun in many of them for travel, despite Federal law, can be a high risk. NJ, NY and MD jump out in that category.

Having Nevada would give us a "carry path" to Oregon. It is for sure that we won't get that path through CA.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Other States”