Concealed Carry License in NC

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Concealed Carry License in NC

Post by jmra »

My dad lives in NC and is interested in getting his license and a carry gun. He texted some questions about gun recommendations and how he should proceed.
That got me to looking at NC carry laws and all I can tell you is thank the good Lord I live in Texas!

Do “No Gun Signs” have the force of law? Yes

On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises
Illegal

Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, universities, and school-provided transportation. This also applies to all property owned by any school
Illegal

Any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises
Illegal

Any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances
Illegal

Detention facility, prison, or jail
Illegal

Courthouse or courtroom including jury rooms, judge's chambers, and offices
Illegal

Assemblies and establishments where an admission is charged
Illegal

State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices
Illegal

In financial institutions such as a bank
Illegal

Meeting of the legislature or a committee
Illegal

An establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption
Illegal

In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations
Illegal

Areas of emergencies or riots
Illegal

State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice
Illegal

Mental health facility or institutions for mentally ill
Illegal

Unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

txglock21
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry License in NC

Post by txglock21 »

The shorter list would be where you CAN carry...your house, your yard.... :lol::
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

txglock21 wrote:The shorter list would be where you CAN carry...your house, your yard.... :lol::
That's about it. Of course NC is one of those states that is "more gun friendly" than Texas because it is an OC state. Of course there's local control on that also.
Give me Texas' gun laws any day of the week.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

So, turns out in NC you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun. Dad has applied for one which should take about a week, then he is going gun shopping. I don't think he has ever bought one.
I have a couple of guns I wouldn't mind giving him but I don't know what would be involved in the process or what costs would be involved. Anyone done this before?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Well, the good news is that it's pretty easy to figure out NC. No "if city owned" or any of that madness.. Sometimes signs apply, sometimes they don't.. height and width requirements...

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

jmra wrote:So, turns out in NC you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun. Dad has applied for one which should take about a week, then he is going gun shopping. I don't think he has ever bought one.
I have a couple of guns I wouldn't mind giving him but I don't know what would be involved in the process or what costs would be involved. Anyone done this before?
You are correct on the permit process. It's a hold over from post-Civil War laws designed to limit freed slaves from owning firearms.

NC is anything but gun friendly; ran by what my grandfather called "Dixiecrats" until just a few years ago. Lots of restrictions on weapons (as noted in the OP); open carry is legal, but no one does it - I lived there 30 years and never saw it.; but that was over 25 years ago, so things may have changed. The easiest thing to do is call the Sheriff's office and inquire. They may have a manual or on-line process. With 100 counties, it's possible there are 100 different procedures and hoops to jump through.

Edit: A quick scan of the NC Firearms laws states the following: "As always, any other transfer between private individuals is also governed by North Carolina's pistol permit laws" So if you want to transfer (sell or gift?) a firearm, a pistol permit is also required. That includes receipt of a pistol on the death of another person. The pistol permit must be obtained and provided to the executor of the estate to show the pistol was lawfully transferred.

You Dad might consider moving to Texas? Just a thought.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Topic author
jmra

Post by jmra »

LabRat wrote:
jmra wrote:So, turns out in NC you have to get a permit to purchase a handgun. Dad has applied for one which should take about a week, then he is going gun shopping. I don't think he has ever bought one.
You are correct on the permit process. It's a hold over from post-Civil War laws designed to limit freed slaves from owning firearms.

NC is anything but gun friendly; ran by what my grandfather called "Dixiecrats" until just a few years ago. Lots of restrictions on weapons (as noted in the OP); open carry is legal, but no one does it - I lived there 30 years and never saw it.; but that was over 25 years ago, so things may have changed. The easiest thing to do is call the Sheriff's office and inquire. They may have a manual or on-line process. With 100 counties, it's possible there are 100 different procedures and hoops to jump through.

Edit: A quick scan of the NC Firearms laws states the following: "As always, any other transfer between private individuals is also governed by North Carolina's pistol permit laws" So if you want to transfer (sell or gift?) a firearm, a pistol permit is also required. That includes receipt of a pistol on the death of another person. The pistol permit must be obtained and provided to the executor of the estate to show the pistol was lawfully transferred.

You Dad might consider moving to Texas? Just a thought.

LabRat
I wish he would move to Texas.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soap »

I know this is an old post but I'm from NC. They let us carry in bars as long as you don't drink. I don't see whats wrong with that? Since you can't drink and drive you shouldn't be able to carry and drink. You can't even carry in a bar here, where you're most likely going to need it. I carried in NC before moving here and there were hardly any no gun signs. In fact guilford and forsyth county have two of the largest cities in NC. Winston SAlem is an art district, yet we have a high rate of gun ownership compared to Texas counties and no gun sign issues or even open carry issues(which you don't even need a permit.) The entire state is gun friendly except Wake county, and that's Raleigh. I come to Texas and it's all hush hush, hide your gun. You can't even carry a gun to the ranges around here loaded because they view you as a child here. The problem with NC if there is one, is people were ignorant of the laws. They'd assume you can't carry a gun. Here in Texas everyone has guns. When I compare NC to FL, or SC its just as gun friendly as Texas. We can shoot in the county, our own land and even public land if you call the sheriffs. I had no issues living in NC and carrying a gun concealed or open. The reason school carry doesn't get passed is because there are too many bible belt thumpers and democrats. You can carry in your car though. The funny thing is I would bet money NC goes constitutional carry before Texas does. NC already has constitutional open carry.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I didn't mind NC gun laws too much. Lived there for nearly 20 years.
Honestly, I like their "permit to purchase". It was an inconvenience as a buyer, but I could get 5 "permits" at one time, which held me over for a while. The better part was that when I sold a gun to a private buyer, I took a permit from them, and didn't have to guess whether they were a prohibited person.

I did have a few discussions with business owners who posted signs when the law first was passed. Just like TX, most of the signs came doen when the "blood in the streets" didn't materialize.

Two thumbs up for the Tarheel State.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Soap,

Every state has it's own quirky laws be they about bar closing times or gun laws.

You gotta roll with them...or remain frustrated.

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soap »

I can't remember what else was passed there recently but they allow you to carry in banks as well. I know they're trying to get rid of purchase permits. I had a CC permit so I didn't need to get handgun purchase permits. So that was nice.

Return to “Other States”