Carrying in NM and AZ in July and August, 2015

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying in NM and AZ in July and August, 2015

Post by oljames3 »

My 18 year old son and I competed in the National Association of Rocketry's Annual Meet 57 in Tucson, AZ, last month. Pictures of the event are at: http://naramlive.com

My son could not carry in NM as the minimum age is 21. He could carry openly in AZ, but could not conceal, being 18.

He and I spent July 23 to August 2 travelling through NM to AZ and back: 1 night in NM, 9 in AZ. When we crossed the NM border, I tucked my shirt behind my pistol and IWB holster. When we crossed the AZ border, we stopped so that my son could don his compact .45 in a belt holster. He carried thus until we returned through NM 10 days later. No incidents.

I initially carried openly in an IWB holster. I changed to a belt holster after the first day of flying when one of my acquaintances (non-local) asked me why I didn't carry in a holster. The only other even slightly adverse comment during our AZ stay was a New Mexico resident's asking my son "How old are you." He politely responded "18" and that was the end of that.

Although I do not drink alcohol, there were several informal meetings in the hotel bar in Tucson. My son did not enter the bar because he could not conceal. I untucked my shirt to cover my pistol and entered. The bar was not posted, so licensed concealed carry was legal.

At the end of the contest, we attended the awards banquet. My son made four trips up front to receive awards and have his picture taken with his prizes and his pistol.

In NM and AZ, open carrying is not a big deal. The only no-gun signs we saw around Tucson were in two museums and one comic book/game store. We noticed no locals openly carrying. While we noticed many locals noticing us, that seemed to be their only reaction.

We returned through Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater (concealed only, no sign), Winslow, AZ, and Albuquerque, NM. And, yes, we did stand on a corner. A family with three older teenage daughters asked me, pistol and all, to take their picture there. Nice interchange.

Open carry may not be prevalent in Tucson, AZ, but it is my experience that it is accepted.

All in all, a very pleasant and successful trip.

(Edited URL)
Last edited by oljames3 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carrying in NM and AZ in July and August, 2015

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote:We noticed no locals openly carrying. While we noticed many locals noticing us, that seemed to be their only reaction.
I suspect that AZ (and probably to a lesser extent, VT) have become "open-carry tourism" attractions. I have lived in Paris, France, and in NYC at various times in my life. Nearly every tourist who comes to Paris has at least visited, and probably gone up in, the Eiffel Tower......but in the 15 months I lived there, I went to the Eiffel Tower once. In 3 years of living in NYC, I went up the Empire State Building once, but it is a common tourist destination (or was, at the time).

To me, it is significant that the locals don't make as big a deal out of open carry than the visitors do, because I suspect that this is what will happen when OC becomes legal in Texas in January. You won't see many locals doing it, but you will see "OC Tourism" under reciprocity.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

oljames3 wrote:My 18 year old son and I competed in the National Association of Rocketry's Annual Meet 57 in Tucson, AZ, last month. Pictures of the event are at: http://naramlive.org
All in all, a very pleasant and successful trip.
Unfortunately the link isn't working for me.
It is nice to see this type of activity still going on.
It is the training ground for future pilots, astronauts and rocket scientists. :patriot:

In the past [a long long time ago], several of my friends used to go to the desert in NV to launch their rockets.
That was the only place they could get FAA clearance.
I never got to see them in person, but the photos and videos were very impressive.

http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/news.aspx?y=2005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

WildBill wrote: Unfortunately the link isn't working for me.
It is the training ground for future pilots, astronauts and rocket scientists. :patriot:

In the past [a long long time ago], several of my friends used to go to the desert in NV to launch their rockets.
I never got to see them in person, but the photos and videos were very impressive.

[ Image ]
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/news.aspx?y=2005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My bad. It's .com not .org. http://naramlive.com
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

We just came back from a trip to Chama, NM and Durango, CO. Chama is very small and one would think that it is an easier environment for OC than Santa Fe or Albuquerque. I didn't see a single one. It was frustrating that the only grocery store in Chama is posted because of State regulations (it sells hard liquor)

One of the trail heads on the Continental Divide trail (elev 11,000) had a string of car burglars over more than a week as people left their vehicles to hike or horseback on trail and opportunists smashed out the side windows, looking for cash. Even 6 miles back a dirt road it isn't safe from a serial burglar. I was tempted to lift my shirt off my gun while we were in the woods but the temperatures were cool enough (highs of 78) that it wasn't necessary.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

oljames3 wrote:

[ Image ]

It would be a good idea to edit your op with the correct address.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote:

[ Image ]
That's cool stuff. My son and I used to play with rockets, but at some point he kind of lost interest in it......I think he found range trips to be more fun. But I really had fun with that stuff. The only problem was, he had expensive tastes (still does), and my wallet was covering it. LOL
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Lots of cool looking rockets.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
oljames3 wrote:

[ Image ]
That's cool stuff. My son and I used to play with rockets, but at some point he kind of lost interest in it......I think he found range trips to be more fun. But I really had fun with that stuff. The only problem was, he had expensive tastes (still does), and my wallet was covering it. LOL
When I was in HS we launched them from the school parking lot.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I just returned this week from a trip to New Mexico, in which I saw no one open carrying.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

John Galt wrote:I just returned this week from a trip to New Mexico, in which I saw no one open carrying.
At the model rocket contest we attended in August, the only other person carrying openly was from NM. I've carried openly in NM several times. Did not see anyone else doing so. Did not have any issues.

Hoping for now issues in Texas.

:txflag:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
oljames3 wrote:We noticed no locals openly carrying. While we noticed many locals noticing us, that seemed to be their only reaction.
I suspect that AZ (and probably to a lesser extent, VT) have become "open-carry tourism" attractions. I have lived in Paris, France, and in NYC at various times in my life. Nearly every tourist who comes to Paris has at least visited, and probably gone up in, the Eiffel Tower......but in the 15 months I lived there, I went to the Eiffel Tower once. In 3 years of living in NYC, I went up the Empire State Building once, but it is a common tourist destination (or was, at the time).

To me, it is significant that the locals don't make as big a deal out of open carry than the visitors do, because I suspect that this is what will happen when OC becomes legal in Texas in January. You won't see many locals doing it, but you will see "OC Tourism" under reciprocity.
I bet the tourism angle is very real. I confess I would like to visit the State Capitol in Austin for just that reason. To walk into the seat of government, trusted, and enjoy the tickings of democracy. No legislator will have the slightest thought of panic buttons.

I talked to a number of locals in Arizona about gun law. Didn't see a single citizen totin' a six-gun, but when I approached the subject there was a certain hardening of viewpoint. They weren't open-carrying, but nobody better tell them they can't.

They were also perplexed at why Texas has restrictive laws.

Return to “Other States”