So I know TX CHL is good for LA but does anyone clearly know their laws

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
RKirkwood
Posts in topic: 1

So I know TX CHL is good for LA but does anyone clearly know their laws

Post by RKirkwood »

I travel to Baton Rouge a lot to watch football and know TX CHL is valid but have not been able to find clear information on their laws. Recently there was a clarification on restaurant concealed carry but I haven't been able to find it and when it is valid,

Pawpaw

Re: So I know TX CHL is good for LA but does anyone clearly know their laws

Post by Pawpaw »

Find the laws in any state you want right here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I traveled thru 14 states this summer and picked up the APP below before leavng.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-con ... 21291?mt=8

I found it to be really helpful with some CCW basics for all the states I went through. I double checked with the Handgunlaw.US web site, and always found the APP to be accurate.

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

Supposedly you can open carry in Louisiana but with their police I probably wouldn't attempt it.

Bluegill

Post by Bluegill »

I lived in the new orleans area from 2004 to 2012 and I went through the whole hurricane katrina thing.... anyway... I extremely dont recommend OC'ing anywheres near New orleans even though the law says you can. Ive seen many cases where the new orleans cops take your gun and wont give it back unless you can show them the receipt back at the evidence room. I can say a lot more but I will leave it at that. maybe in small rural towns you might be ok.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

nonleg

Post by nonleg »

First place I OC'd after Katrina. Even on the northshore, nobody seems to notice. OC'd a Springfield 1911 while buying beer my first week of carrying, in a bad neighborhood in Baton Rouge (Gardere! Woot!). Not a glimpse from anyone including the clerk. In fact, LA provided my litmus test to wife, M-I-L and others that nobody will notice an OC the vast majority of the time.

OCd in Hammond, Slidell, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, etc., but never in Orleans/Jeff Parish (because whenever I was there, it was for purposes that would render me unsafe to carry :) )

Are you worried about a specific venue? I think LA follows the same general principle as anywhere else in the south: State Police won't bother, but East Landry Parish Associate Deputies may try to mess with you. Or places where it's primarily tourists and crackheads (ie, Canal Street is somewhere I'd NEVER OC. That's actually go for most of the CBD and New Orleans, just too much trash around that will make a grab attempt.)
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

Return to “Other States”