Utah ccw

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Utah ccw

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I renewed my Utah CCW with my iPhone. I answered some questions took a picture of myself a picture of my Texas CHL and paid $15.00 and I had my new card within 10 days.

With this card it'll take me into my 20th year of concealed carry
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

RoyGBiv

Re: Utah ccw

Post by RoyGBiv »

Excellent!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AJSully421 »

Yep, Utah is a great backup CHL option.

I just love that if I ever have to use my weapon and the cops take my gun and my CHL that I have a backup pistol, backup holster, and backup CHL all in my truck. I'll be rearmed in seconds.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Javier730 »

AJSully421 wrote:Yep, Utah is a great backup CHL option.

I just love that if I ever have to use my weapon and the cops take my gun and my CHL that I have a backup pistol, backup holster, and backup CHL all in my truck. I'll be rearmed in seconds.
I never thought of that. That is something that I am going to work on getting now. Thanks AJSully421.

Is anyone here an Utah chl instructor or know someone that is. The closer to San Antonio the better.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

did a quick search in handgunlaws.us for Utah... looks like they accept out of state instructors....

find Texas and they list the emails for qualified instructors... hope it helps

Non-Residents apply the same way as residents. You must have a Firearms Safety Class from a Certified
Utah Instructor. List of Nationwide Instructors “Here”. Effective 2/1/15 the cost will be $49.00.

http://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/ ... 292015.pdf
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

RetNavy wrote:did a quick search in handgunlaws.us for Utah... looks like they accept out of state instructors....

Non-Residents apply the same way as residents. You must have a Firearms Safety Class from a Certified
Utah Instructor. List of Nationwide Instructors “Here”. Effective 2/1/15 the cost will be $49.00.

Thanks RetNavy. I appreciate it.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I renewed my Utah CCW with my iPhone. I answered some questions took a picture of myself a picture of my Texas CHL and paid $15.00 and I had my new card within 10 days.

With this card it'll take me into my 20th year of concealed carry
I am two years away, but I am glad to know it is that easy. :clapping:

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Javier730 wrote:

I never thought of that. That is something that I am going to work on getting now. Thanks AJSully421.

Is anyone here an Utah chl instructor or know someone that is. The closer to San Antonio the better.

Actually... the easiest and cheapest way for someone who already has a Texas CHL is to do Arizona. No class required.

http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed ... /obtain/#4

I did mine a few years ago... from the link above send email to AZ DPS, the will mail the application packet, get packet from AZ, fill out app, get fingerprints done, include copy of Texas CHL, pay $60, wait 8 weeks, get plastic in the mail. No photos either. Good in TX. Renewals are $43 every 5 years.

Arizona adds Nevada to your state reciprocity list, Utah adds Washington State. So, unless there is some reason why you need one over the other, that might be a factor.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Something worth looking into is reciprocity. If you travel, your TX permit may not be accepted by all states. UT seems to have the most reciprocal agreements in the states I travel in so I have a UT. I actually ended up on this forum because PA changed it's agreements about a year ago. There is now only one permit available to NJ residents that PA accepts and that's TX. Too bad nobody offers a TX class outside of TX, I think a lot of NJ residents would sign up.

There were several instructors in NJ who traveled and offered classes on evenings and weekends for the UT permit. I've also had VA and AZ. FL is another common permit in NJ.

Unfortunately, a NJ permit is not.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Javier730 wrote:

We are, but in Fort Worth. You can probably find someone closer. Here is the list of out of state instructors, from the Utah BCI website:

Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

stash

Post by stash »

After and initial and renewal for a Florida backup I decided not to spend the $100 plus for the second renewal. So last week I send in my app for the AZ license. One page app, $60 cashiers check and two fingerprint (FP) cards. I do worry a bit about the FP's. The instructions indicated that if you had your FP's rolled it had to be done with I think thermal ink. First of all my fingers don't have much in the way of ridges left and I don't know if the sheriff office used thermal ink. We will see I guess.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

stash wrote:After and initial and renewal for a Florida backup I decided not to spend the $100 plus for the second renewal. So last week I send in my app for the AZ license. One page app, $60 cashiers check and two fingerprint (FP) cards. I do worry a bit about the FP's. The instructions indicated that if you had your FP's rolled it had to be done with I think thermal ink. First of all my fingers don't have much in the way of ridges left and I don't know if the sheriff office used thermal ink. We will see I guess.
I have Florida also... I am with you, now that I have Utah and Arizona, I will not be renewing Florida, it does not add any states any more.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

I had a Utah CFP and let it expire. How long after it expires can you renew it without having to do the class all over again? I also have a current Tx CHL.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

safety1 wrote:I had a Utah CFP and let it expire. How long after it expires can you renew it without having to do the class all over again? I also have a current Tx CHL.
1 year from date of expiration to renew, add $7.50 to the renewal fee if it is past 30 days.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

RetNavy wrote:did a quick search in handgunlaws.us for Utah... looks like they accept out of state instructors....

Looks like a dead link.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “Other States”