Seattle's new gun and ammo tax

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Seattle's new gun and ammo tax

Post by C-dub »

I was going to put this in the political sub forum, but then saw this one.

Did anyone know this was coming? I searched for "Seattle gun tax" here and got nothing. And a judge has upheld this nonsense.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-seatt ... AV20151223

I also saw from this article that Chicago also has a gun tax. I wasn't aware of this one either. I guess it has held up under judicial review or is that also still winding it's way through the courts?
Under the new Seattle law, gun sellers will be taxed $25 for every gun sold plus 2 or 5 cent taxes on each round of ammunition.
And more from http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... ition-tax/

I wonder if any of our wacko bird liberal cities here in Texas would try something like this?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Seattle's new gun and ammo tax

Post by suthdj »

Wouldn't a gun or ammo tax be the same as a poll tax?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Nuts
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Nuts »

Oregon and Washington are famous for using taxes to drive out businesses that they think don't fit in. That's one reason there economies suck so bad.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

suthdj wrote:Wouldn't a gun or ammo tax be the same as a poll tax?
That's the first thing I thought about. I didn't understand how this was upheld in any court for that reason.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I think Texans, in general, are used to driving some distance to get the things they want, so even if some city put up a tax like that, that city would only hurt themselves. The business would move elsewhere, and the guns would still be sold.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I think Texans, in general, are used to driving some distance to get the things they want, so even if some city put up a tax like that, that city would only hurt themselves. The business would move elsewhere, and the guns would still be sold.
True, but isn't that the goal of the left? They don't really care about reducing violence. The real reason for doing this is to run the businesses out of town/state or just out of business.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

So you buy your ammo online. Let them try to collect those taxes.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

C-dub wrote:
K.Mooneyham wrote:I think Texans, in general, are used to driving some distance to get the things they want, so even if some city put up a tax like that, that city would only hurt themselves. The business would move elsewhere, and the guns would still be sold.
True, but isn't that the goal of the left? They don't really care about reducing violence. The real reason for doing this is to run the businesses out of town/state or just out of business.
I thought the goal was to make it harder for people to get guns and ammo. Some places, like NYC or San Francisco, I'm sure that's effective, but I just don't think it would be here in Texas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It seems judges are very lenient when lawmakers call fees and penalties a tax.

That was the basis for Justice Roberts caving on the Obamacare penalties and fees. He saw them as a tax and thought that was ok.

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't get more gun control via tax. The legislators get more of what they want, money and control. The progressives get more control and limitations on one's rights.

Win win
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

suthdj wrote:Wouldn't a gun or ammo tax be the same as a poll tax?
Firearms and ammunition are already taxed (11%) at the federal level per the The Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 aka Pittman-Robertson Act that was passed in 1937. It has been expanded to include archery and fishing tackle also. Evangelist Pat Robertson's father, Absalom Willis Robertson, was the co-writer of the bill. The funds began being misappropriated in violation of the original act, especially during Bill Clinton's presidency and the NRA led investigation instigated a bill to assure the funds would be used per the original intent.That's the Reader's Digest version. I don't know if the poll tax analogy would work, but maybe the state's pre-emption law will prevail in a higher court.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It won't matter in Seattle anyway. With the new $15.00 minimum wage law, nobody can afford ammo anyway.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The Annoyed Man wrote:It won't matter in Seattle anyway. With the new $15.00 minimum wage law, nobody can afford ammo anyway.
The people making $15.00 and hour can now. "rlol"
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

twomillenium wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:It won't matter in Seattle anyway. With the new $15.00 minimum wage law, nobody can afford ammo anyway.
The people making $15.00 and hour can now. "rlol"
No. They're protesting to work fewer hours, so they won't lose all their welfare/low income benefits.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

It is bad precedent, and it would shot down at higher grade courts.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Antares

Post by Antares »

Beiruty wrote:It is bad precedent, and it would shot down at higher grade courts.
Yep just like gay marriage or how about obummer care. I just don't think it is a gimmee that SCOTUS does the right thing anymore. If it isn't overturned probably every city with a democratic mayor will try it. http://texaschlforum.com/posting.php?mo ... &p=1033237#
God Bless our Military and the United States

Return to “Other States”