Other states CHL

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Other states CHL

Post by Richbirdhunter »

How many people carry more then one states CHL? I've had my Utah CHL for 15 years.

It opens a few more states for me.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Other states CHL

Post by cb1000rider »

Is an in-state required or otherwise advantageous in Utah. If not, why subject yourself to additional "taxation" ?

I get it if there is no reciprocity...
Last edited by cb1000rider on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LikWid
Banned

Post by LikWid »

I only have a FL one, should I go ahead and get a TX one as well?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I in the last 15 years I made a "hobby" out of collecting them. In order besides Texas I have gotten FL, PA, NH, ME, CT, AZ, and VA. I let PA and ME drop recently, and CT and ME were the only ones that didn't recognize my TX. ME is now Constitutional Carry.

The only advantage is exemption from ATF interpretation of GFSZA in the nonresident state and staggered renewal with TX, which actually saved me 3 weeks of being wo a license in 2002 when my CHL expired before the renewal arrived.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

NavyVet1959
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NavyVet1959 »

Nevada does not recognize the Texas CHL, so I got it the last time I needed to renew instead of the Texas one. I then learned that the Nevada one does not count as a substitute for the NICS check when you are buying a gun through a FFL holder. I seldom do that, so it's only a minor inconvenience. I'm not sure which one I'll get next time.

One advantage of having multiple would be if something happened and you had to surrender your Texas one until it was cleared up. You would still have your out-of-state CHL.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

NavyVet1959 wrote:Nevada does not recognize the Texas CHL, so I got it the last time I needed to renew instead of the Texas one. I then learned that the Nevada one does not count as a substitute for the NICS check when you are buying a gun through a FFL holder. I seldom do that, so it's only a minor inconvenience. I'm not sure which one I'll get next time.

One advantage of having multiple would be if something happened and you had to surrender your Texas one until it was cleared up. You would still have your out-of-state CHL.
I've wondered that too, are you obligated to share all of your CHL's?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

Richbirdhunter wrote: I've wondered that too, are you obligated to share all of your CHL's?
I'm of the belief that what the government doesn't know, probably can't hurt you. Volunteer information? Nope, not likely...

NavyGuy96209

Post by NavyGuy96209 »

Greetings,

Have Texas LTC and Florida non- resident. I did have the Pennsylvania CCW permit for a while but let it expire.

Just mailed Florida renewal today. Anyone know current turnaround times for these permits?

Thanks.
USMC '80 - '89
DEA '91 - '97 and '03 - '04
USN '97 - '03 and '04 - '09 (LCDR ret.)
DOD '09 - Present

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I used to have a Utah license. I originally got it mainly because of the long turn around time in Texas.
When it expired I did not renew it.
NRA Endowment Member

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Washington arrived in the mail today. I applied for it while in port on a riverboat cruise. Very simply done in person at a Sheriff's office and no training is required. The only deal is you must apply in person in Washington. License and fingerprint fees came for $50.75 total. Now I can carry in Washington. Applied 6/1/16 and received it 7/2/16. Decent turnaround!
This adds to my Arizona and of course, Texas. AZ and TX is now good in Nevada but I think I'll still get NV since It gives me Minnesota. I stagger these at least 6 months apart for overlapping coverage, just in case.

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

I wasn't aware that Nevada had added Texas. I went to the Nevada site and they definitely state that the Texas CHL is now allowed. It seems that they started recognizing Texas as of just a few days ago (7/1/2016).

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Nevada is the main reason that I got an Arizona license. I also have a Utah license because it gives me Washington, and my in-laws have a cabin in Utah, and it can only help to have that state's license.

I also have Florida until March 2018, but I will let that one lapse.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

smokejensen

Post by smokejensen »

NavyVet1959 wrote: One advantage of having multiple would be if something happened and you had to surrender your Texas one until it was cleared up. You would still have your out-of-state CHL.
NavyVet. If you read each states laws carefully, you'll see similar language that would disqualify you from applying if you are charged with a crime in your state. In addition, if you currently hold out of state licenses and you are charged in your state with a disqualifying crime your out of state licenses must be surrendered within a certain amount of time. Arizona for example states:
13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

B. The permit of a person who is arrested or indicted for an offense that would make the person unqualified under section 13-3101, subsection A, paragraph 7 or this section shall be immediately suspended and seized. The permit of a person who becomes unqualified on conviction of that offense shall be revoked. The permit shall be restored on presentation of documentation from the court if the permittee is found not guilty or the charges are dismissed. The permit shall be restored on presentation of documentation from the county attorney that the charges against the permittee were dropped or dismissed.

I currently hold TX, AZ, Utah, and Minnesota. Now that NV recognizes Texas I can let the AZ license expire.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

Yes, but if you have an out-of-state CHL, I can see how the notification of the state could fall through the cracks -- something that is unlikely to happen if you have a in-state CHL.

denwego

Post by denwego »

smokejensen wrote:
NavyVet1959 wrote: One advantage of having multiple would be if something happened and you had to surrender your Texas one until it was cleared up. You would still have your out-of-state CHL.
NavyVet. If you read each states laws carefully, you'll see similar language that would disqualify you from applying if you are charged with a crime in your state. In addition, if you currently hold out of state licenses and you are charged in your state with a disqualifying crime your out of state licenses must be surrendered within a certain amount of time. Arizona for example states:
13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

B. The permit of a person who is arrested or indicted for an offense that would make the person unqualified under section 13-3101, subsection A, paragraph 7 or this section shall be immediately suspended and seized. The permit of a person who becomes unqualified on conviction of that offense shall be revoked. The permit shall be restored on presentation of documentation from the court if the permittee is found not guilty or the charges are dismissed. The permit shall be restored on presentation of documentation from the county attorney that the charges against the permittee were dropped or dismissed.
The thing is, those cited disqualifications under Arizona law only involve felony charges or convictions, misdemeanor domestic violence, controlled substances, etc... pretty much the federal disqualification list. Texas as vastly more disqualifying elements, including the 5-year period after a Class A or B misdemeanor conviction of any sort. A person could lose a Texas LTC but still maintain an Arizona or a Florida license with some ease, which is what I believe NavyVet was indicating.

I mean, failure to report a diseased hive of bees is a Class B misdemeanor under the Agriculture Code, and no amount of argument can convince me of the validity of saying someone can't have a license to carry for half a decade because he ignored some sick bees, no matter how much the EPA jumps up and down and says it's for the children. I don't begrudge someone finding a way to avoid such a ridiculous outcome with an out of state LTC, whether someone who doesn't like it calls it a "loophole" or not.

Return to “Other States”