Can't carry TWO guns

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can't carry TWO guns

Post by jmorris »

SOB, left, right, shoulder, belly band, kangaroo, ankle. Saw someone do it once as a demo. He said it wasn't uncomfortable but I'd imagine it'd be a bit of weight. Say average weight of 1.3 lbs per loaded firearm that's almost 10 pounds. Just realized he could have carried on both ankles.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

:biggrinjester:

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MechAg94 »

jmorris wrote:SOB, left, right, shoulder, belly band, kangaroo, ankle. Saw someone do it once as a demo. He said it wasn't uncomfortable but I'd imagine it'd be a bit of weight. Say average weight of 1.3 lbs per loaded firearm that's almost 10 pounds. Just realized he could have carried on both ankles.
It seems to me that you reach a point where it is easier to carry more magazines for one or two guns than more guns. Probably faster to reload than pull out a new gun also unless you do a lot of practice drawing from all those holsters. It would make a little more sense if you are carrying a bunch of 38 snubbie revolvers I guess.

There is also the issue of drawing and using different guns. If they are not all the same or have the same manual of arms, that could trip you up also.

Then again, if you think you might need 4 or 5 guns, you might want to think about just carrying a rifle..................and grenades. ..................................and bring lots of friends with rifles and grenades. :biggrinjester:

goose

Post by goose »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:You can look here
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

New Mexico, for example, only allows one concealed handgun. I don't remember seeing that same restriction elsewhere but, like you, I seldom carry more than one.
I believe that Oklahoma only allows one also.
I Checked the SDA and OSBI.

Oklahoma is limited to .45 caliber or smaller, but I saw nothing about being limited to one handgun.

YMMV.
Is a 454 Casull still 45 caliber? It rounds down to 45. :-)
If this were a Texas statute we'd have a dozen pages on it. (Of which I am sometimes want to contribute.)
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

goose wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:You can look here
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

New Mexico, for example, only allows one concealed handgun. I don't remember seeing that same restriction elsewhere but, like you, I seldom carry more than one.
I believe that Oklahoma only allows one also.
I Checked the SDA and OSBI.

Oklahoma is limited to .45 caliber or smaller, but I saw nothing about being limited to one handgun.

YMMV.
Is a 454 Casull still 45 caliber? It rounds down to 45. :-)
If this were a Texas statute we'd have a dozen pages on it. (Of which I am sometimes want to contribute.)
Why not? Isn't 45 ACP actually .451"?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

goose

Post by goose »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
goose wrote: Is a 454 Casull still 45 caliber? It rounds down to 45. :-)
Why not? Isn't 45 ACP actually .451"?
You made me go look. The Casull is only 452. Seems downright domesticated now that I've dug deeper.
(And you're helping me code posts better, again.)

Edit: The domesticated commetn was humor. The energy of the Casull is obviously vastly different.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MechAg94 wrote:
jmorris wrote:SOB, left, right, shoulder, belly band, kangaroo, ankle. Saw someone do it once as a demo. He said it wasn't uncomfortable but I'd imagine it'd be a bit of weight. Say average weight of 1.3 lbs per loaded firearm that's almost 10 pounds. Just realized he could have carried on both ankles.
It seems to me that you reach a point where it is easier to carry more magazines for one or two guns than more guns. Probably faster to reload than pull out a new gun also unless you do a lot of practice drawing from all those holsters. It would make a little more sense if you are carrying a bunch of 38 snubbie revolvers I guess.

There is also the issue of drawing and using different guns. If they are not all the same or have the same manual of arms, that could trip you up also.

Then again, if you think you might need 4 or 5 guns, you might want to think about just carrying a rifle..................and grenades. ..................................and bring lots of friends with rifles and grenades. :biggrinjester:
Here's my problem with one gun. If you have a malfunction that disables the weapon temporarily, you are dead. It's not about round limitations.

My most common way of carrying 4 guns would be as follows:
1. Commander length 1911 in a strong side belt holster. 2 Extra mags in a double mag holster on my weak side. If all goes well this is all I will need, but just in case.....
2. Kahr PM-9 in my weak side pants pocket.
3. Kel-Tec P3AT in a wallet holster on my strong side.
4. J frame in a weak side ankle holster in case I find myself knocked to the ground before I can draw any other weapon.

As far as manual of arms, it is the same motion for all of these guns. Draw weapon, hands meet in center of my body, arms are extended out and up, slide right thumb down as I engage the target (which either disengages the safety or just gets my thumb where it needs to be), line up sights, squeeze trigger.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:

Here's my problem with one gun. If you have a malfunction that disables the weapon temporarily, you are dead. It's not about round limitations.

1. Commander length 1911 in a strong side belt holster. 2 Extra mags in a double mag holster on my weak side. If all goes well this is all I will need, but just in case.....
4. J frame in a weak side ankle holster in case I find myself knocked to the ground before I can draw any other weapon.

As far as manual of arms, it is the same motion for all of these guns. Draw weapon, hands meet in center of my body, arms are extended out and up, slide right thumb down as I engage the target (which either disengages the safety or just gets my thumb where it needs to be), line up sights, squeeze trigger.
What sort of malfunction are you worried about and what sort of situation are you imagining? It is your choice, but I am curious.

IMO, you could carry two Glock 19 pistols and have more ammo, be more effective, and be easier to use than 2 or 3 of those choices. Maybe switch over to a Springfield XDS for a backup to stick with the same caliber. My Springfield XD mod 2 in 45 is also compact, light, and easier to carry.....And it holds more ammo in the small compact magazine than the 1911. Maybe you could carry a Keltec sub2000 in a backpack with a few stick mags.

Carry a knife also.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:

What sort of malfunction are you worried about and what sort of situation are you imagining? It is your choice, but I am curious.

IMO, you could carry two Glock 19 pistols and have more ammo, be more effective, and be easier to use than 2 or 3 of those choices. Maybe switch over to a Springfield XDS for a backup to stick with the same caliber. My Springfield XD mod 2 in 45 is also compact, light, and easier to carry.....And it holds more ammo in the small compact magazine than the 1911. Maybe you could carry a Keltec sub2000 in a backpack with a few stick mags.

Carry a knife also.
I do have a knife, although I am a bit nervous around it since it reminded me that it needs to be respected at all times when I sliced open my finger while sharpening it. I would also love a Kel-Tec sub-2000 and will buy one as soon as I find it. It will be my only carry (along with the knife) in certain places that prohibit handguns. I probably will not carry it along with a handgun though.

As to malfunctions, I am specifically concerned about a severe FTE, or the like, which causes the slide to completely lock up. That is what I mean by temporarily disabling the weapon. Something I can fix when I have time and some tools available, but which will be deadly in the moment if I don't have a back-up available.

While carrying, I am less concerned about the same caliber as I am with the same manual of arms. The only different action for my set of weapons is whether I need to disengage a safety. This takes a nano-second and is at worst an unnecessary motion if the gun does not have a safety (revolver). I like having different size guns so I can carry them in different places. If they were all the same caliber, then there would be a significant difference in recoil (and I can't even find a P3AT size gun that is chambered in 45 ACP), which would be a concern. For me, having the same caliber is more of an issue on the range, and is a main reason why I try to only bring guns of one caliber to each range session, where there is a potential for mis-loading mags. I am not planning to reload mags in a defensive shooting situation so that is not a consideration.

I should also note that I usually only carry 2 guns and sometimes only one. Heck, I have been known to even carry only the P3AT in some situations, although I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Steve

Post by Steve »

When I took my CHL class many years ago our instructor specifically brought up the fact that Texas law allows you to carry as many pistols as you could conceal. I figured a backup gun wouldn't be a bad idea, but 7, wow! I've heard a backup gun called a New York reload, but what do you call the 6th backup gun? A Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire/Massachusetts/Connecticut/New Jersey Reload?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I guess everyone should think about how quickly you can do a malfunction drill and load a fresh magazine versus how quickly you can get your backup gun unholstered and into action. It depends on where you carry the back up. I can see the value of at least one backup.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I took my daughter to the range on Saturday. While firing my Glock 19, a round failed to completely load into the chamber and the slide locked up. I could not budge it at all. Luckily we had brought more then one gun to the range. It made me think of this thread.

For those who might be interested, I was able to drop the mag, and looking up through the magwell I could see that the round was stuck about 1/8 inch from fully chambering. After giving up on it, I let it sit for 30 minutes, tried again and easily racked the slide ejecting the unfired round. I'm thinking that the cooling off period helped somehow.

It was factory ammo (Federal) and not a reload.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Steve wrote:When I took my CHL class many years ago our instructor specifically brought up the fact that Texas law allows you to carry as many pistols as you could conceal. I figured a backup gun wouldn't be a bad idea, but 7, wow! I've heard a backup gun called a New York reload, but what do you call the 6th backup gun? A Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire/Massachusetts/Connecticut/New Jersey Reload?
It's called "Saturday night in Chicago Reload"!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LucasMcCain »

If I remember correctly, he had a couple more at his back.

(From the movie Boondock Saints, if there's anybody that somehow hasn't seen it).
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

LucasMcCain wrote:Image

If I remember correctly, he had a couple more at his back.

(From the movie Boondock Saints, if there's anybody that somehow hasn't seen it).
I don't think I've ever even heard of it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Other States”