Can't carry TWO guns

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can't carry TWO guns

Post by LucasMcCain »

Pawpaw wrote:I don't think I've ever even heard of it.
As long as language and violence don't bother you, it's a great movie. The sequel wasn't that great, but the original is one of my favorites. It has quite the cult following. I wouldn't take the premise too seriously, but it's a really fun watch.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

LTCTLB wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I usually try to limit it to 4 handguns max on my person
Soccerdad is prepared!!! How do you carry more than a couple? Not looking down on you...trying to figure how I could carry more than a couple - comfortably.
If it were me...
  • Appendix
  • Other Appendix
  • Strong side hip
  • Ankle
  • Other ankle
  • Shoulder holster (under a blazer)
  • Belt buckle derringer
  • Under hat (NRA or Gonzales flag, of course.)
  • Flash bang (need to gain a little wait for this though)
  • Thigh holster (who says men can't use them?)
  • Maybe one behind my ear where my grandpa would always pull quarters out. Seemed like a lot of quarters fit back there.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Pawpaw wrote:
LucasMcCain wrote:Image

If I remember correctly, he had a couple more at his back.

(From the movie Boondock Saints, if there's anybody that somehow hasn't seen it).
I don't think I've ever even heard of it.
It's all about "Symbology".
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

If you need more than one gun for self defense you are either...

1. not very good with one gun at putting rounds on your target under pressure...or
2. getting yourself into situations that requires an arsenal to handle.

tex :txflag:
Last edited by thetexan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

JagsfanNtexas

Post by JagsfanNtexas »

JALLEN wrote:In California, we had to list the pistols on our permit by make, model and serial number, and qualify with each one, even if they were identical.

If you had two identical pistols, one listed on your permit and the other not, it was a felony to carry the unlisted one.

You could list up to 3, although I'm not sure this was a state requirement or merely a superstition of the San Diego Sheriff. Thus, you could carry only 3 max.

These policies were dreamed up by a group of swarthy, balding comedy writers working in a dingy office in Santa Monica, the same group who made up airline ticket pricing schedules.
This will surely decrease gun violence! It's just common sense! :roll:

goose
Posts in topic: 3

Re:

Post by goose »

thetexan wrote:If you need more than one gun for self defense you are either...

1. not very good with one gun at putting rounds on your target under pressure...or

While I do believe that four is overkill for me, a secondary backup seems incredibly viable. LEO do it every day. I think that there is room for making redundancy part of an LTC holder's plan.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

LTCTLB wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:I usually try to limit it to 4 handguns max on my person
Soccerdad is prepared!!! How do you carry more than a couple? Not looking down on you...trying to figure how I could carry more than a couple - comfortably.
As an example, I've been known on multiple occasions to have my primary (usually a full or mid-size 1911 or Glock) on my hip, an ankle rig with a J-Frame, and my last-ditch NAA .22mag mini-revolver (the "Noisy Cricket") on me.

That's before we start talking about what might be in the console or glove box of my vehicle.

On the "can't carry two" scenario, I remember that New Mexico only allows one concealed handgun, but I can't for the life of me remember which other state has similar restrictions...but I too seem to remember that there is at least one more.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

NM
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Skiprr

Re:

Post by Skiprr »

Seriously?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Re: Re:

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Skiprr wrote:

Seriously?
Right. Cause his guns never malfunction. :banghead:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

locke_n_load wrote:
surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Texas allows as many as you can conceal.

I'd like to repeat an old anecdote that was written up here on the board:
In the earlier days of Texas CHL's, a Fort Worth LEO stopped a man, then
called supervisors for some guidance: "how many can handguns are allowed?".
Answer : Unlimited, as long as they are concealed.
The man he was asking about had SEVEN handguns on him. All were concealed,
so he was free to go.

SIA
Texas allows as many as you can carry (these days).
Mostly true. If concealed it is as many as you can, but if OCing then there is the slight limitation that it must still be in a shoulder or belt holster. Although, I suppose it is still as many as you can carry in a shoulder and or belt holster.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Skiprr wrote:

Seriously?
My EDC is a 1911. But always tucked in a front pocket is a tiny Seecamp .32. I also carry a Kershaw SpecBump folder in my off-hand back pocket, and have trained with a knife since I was 13 when I lived in the Philippines. But I'm old now, and if I'm faced with a hand-to-hand struggle with two young bucks over my 1911, I'd rather shoot 'em than cut 'em.

I've been on this Forum for a decade, and my soapbox subject has always been--partly because of my background--that defensive use of a handgun is almost certainly to be about fighting, not about marksmanship.
John Perkins, Al Ridenhour, and Matt Kovsky wrote:Over 90 percent of gunfights occur within 21 feet. More than half of these occur within 5 feet. Most people, when put to the test, can’t even get their guns out in time to defend against a person rushing them from across a large room.
One of the biggest studies of its kind regarding deadly-force encounters and distance was the NYC DDO SOP 9 that analyzed over 6,000 individual cases. In shootings that resulted in the death of the officer involved, 34% were at contact to 3 feet; 47% were 3 to 6 feet; 9% were 6 feet to 15 feet.

Outside of your home, that's where most bad stuff happens. You can't draw on the homeless guy simply because he starts walking up to you. Just because two dudes who look like bangers seem to be closing on you in a Kroger's parking lot at 45-degree angles, you can't draw and do a tactical roll and go Rambo on them.

If you train only at 7, 15, or 25 yards--particularly if you're static at a lane-controlled range--you may be prepared for a home invasion or a zombie attack, but you will be sorely equipped for what is most likely to happen in an urban armed robbery or assault situation.

My little Seecamp isn't there in case my 1911 fails. It's there because, if you or your buddy attacks me and has my arm pinned, you'll get a surprise zinger coming out of my offhand pocket. Just a .32; won't kill you. But a couple of rounds just may persuade you to release me and back off enough for me to clear distance and go to to my primary handgun.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Skiprr wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
Skiprr wrote:

Seriously?
My EDC is a 1911. But always tucked in a front pocket is a tiny Seecamp .32. I also carry a Kershaw SpecBump folder in my off-hand back pocket, and have trained with a knife since I was 13 when I lived in the Philippines. But I'm old now, and if I'm faced with a hand-to-hand struggle with two young bucks over my 1911, I'd rather shoot 'em than cut 'em.

I've been on this Forum for a decade, and my soapbox subject has always been--partly because of my background--that defensive use of a handgun is almost certainly to be about fighting, not about marksmanship.
John Perkins, Al Ridenhour, and Matt Kovsky wrote:Over 90 percent of gunfights occur within 21 feet. More than half of these occur within 5 feet. Most people, when put to the test, can’t even get their guns out in time to defend against a person rushing them from across a large room.
One of the biggest studies of its kind regarding deadly-force encounters and distance was the NYC DDO SOP 9 that analyzed over 6,000 individual cases. In shootings that resulted in the death of the officer involved, 34% were at contact to 3 feet; 47% were 3 to 6 feet; 9% were 6 feet to 15 feet.

Outside of your home, that's where most bad stuff happens. You can't draw on the homeless guy simply because he starts walking up to you. Just because two dudes who look like bangers seem to be closing on you in a Kroger's parking lot at 45-degree angles, you can't draw and do a tactical roll and go Rambo on them.

If you train only at 7, 15, or 25 yards--particularly if you're static at a lane-controlled range--you may be prepared for a home invasion or a zombie attack, but you will be sorely equipped for what is most likely to happen in an urban armed robbery or assault situation.

My little Seecamp isn't there in case my 1911 fails. It's there because, if you or your buddy attacks me and has my arm pinned, you'll get a surprise zinger coming out of my offhand pocket. Just a .32; won't kill you. But a couple of rounds just may persuade you to release me and back off enough for me to clear distance and go to to my primary handgun.
Ballistic persuasion!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Other States”