Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Arizona licensees may carry in Arizona private schools

Post by KLB »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... a75e0af522

An interesting bit of news. Though possession of a weapon in a school zone is generally barred, the law excepts persons with a state license. (The Arizona AG has opined that) (not that a court has held, as this post originally stated) an ordinary handgun license qualifies for the exception.

(Edited post to correct error).
Last edited by KLB on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Arizona licensees may carry in Arizona private schools

Post by RoyGBiv »

This isn't really new news, other than Arizona courts finally getting around to recognizing what Texas courts/legislature have acknowledged for years. Arizona schools "MAY" now allow handguns, but how many will choose to do so? Texas schools have had the authority to allow handguns for a long time. Too bad that most choose not to allow it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Actually this was not anything to do with a court. This was an Attorney General opinion, answering two questions presented by one of Arizona's state senators. Thus the AG is just formally stating his opinion that it is (and was already) legal for licensed person to carry on private school property.

Take note of his first footnote:
[1]This opinion is limited to the question whether private schools may permit firearms on campus. It does not consider the extent to which such schools may choose to bar firearms as an exercise of their private property rights. See e.g. GeorgiaCarry.Org, Inc. v. Georgia, 687 F.3d 1244, 1264 (11th Cir. 2012) (“Quite simply, there is no constitutional infirmity when a private property owner exercises his, her, or its—in the case of a place of worship—right to control who may enter, and whether that invited guest can be armed.”).
I would like to know what the political background and impetus for the questions are. I doubt the senator was asking this purely out of curiosity.

ETA: the actual opinion is here: https://www.azag.gov/sgo-opinions/priva ... -carry-law
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KLB »

ELB wrote:Actually this was not anything to do with a court. This was an Attorney General opinion, answering two questions presented by one of Arizona's state senators. Thus the AG is just formally stating his opinion
You are correct. I tried to edit the post to reflect that, but I apparently screwed that up. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Other States”