Out-of-state purchase question

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Out-of-state purchase question

Post by imkopaka »

Forgive me if this has been asked before (the search is excluding so many words that I can't find anything).

My mom is visiting from Washington for a few weeks and she really liked the way my wife's M&P Shield felt. She has her CCW in Washington and is perfectly able to pass a background check (never had so much as a speeding ticket). Thing is, I'm not well versed in Washington law or federal law. So my question is this:

If she found a sweet deal on a Shield while she's down here, could she buy it and legally take it back to Washington? Would hate for her to get charged because she was trying to save money.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

ELB

Re: Out-of-state purchase question

Post by ELB »

I believe she could pay for it, but it would have to be shipped from the seller to an FFL in Washington, where she would have to do the 4473 and pay transfer fees. The gun shop here should be able to answer this definitively.
USAF 1982-2005

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

99% sure out of state handgun purchases are no bueno... I think the above mentioned process would work though. Why in the world can you buy a big bad black gun out of state, but not a pistola?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jb2012 wrote:99% sure out of state handgun purchases are no bueno... I think the above mentioned process would work though. Why in the world can you buy a big bad black gun out of state, but not a pistola?
They don't want the cupcakes of Massachusetts, California, or New Jersey to have access to real guns. Thankfully there is no federal restrictions on buying magazines.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor

Post by rotor »

Unless you specifically want to buy locally she could buy one from Buds or one of the other online dealers, have it shipped to a FFL at her home and pick it up where she lives. Would probably be cheaper than buying locally, shipping, sales tax, etc. Or as a good son I guess you could buy it and pay for it and gift it to your mom, she could take it home. As long as it was a gift you should be legal. If she was flying home she would need one of those special gun cases to get it on an airline. I like the let her buy it from Buds or an internet store. Assuming Washington law allows a Shield to be purchased. I would bet that a local gun shop would not want to ship it to a Washington FFL (especially since you have not arranged the transfer ahead of time) and would cost more with FFL and shipping. Perhaps one of our legal experts could confirm my statements.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

ELB wrote:I believe she could pay for it, but it would have to be shipped from the seller to an FFL in Washington, where she would have to do the 4473 and pay transfer fees. The gun shop here should be able to answer this definitively.
Correct. We just got the same answer for my BIL, who will be here for Thanksgiving and wanted to pick up a certain, specific collector revolver.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

Using an online store is a great alternative. A couple weeks ago I was in NM and fired several 9mm's. I decided on the Shield 9 and ordered it from Ky Gun Company. Price was awesome, $339 (credit card price) and had it shipped to my TX FFL. When I got home I had a new gun waiting for me to pick up.

Return to “Other States”