Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Bouncer OCing in New Orleans

Post by steveincowtown »

I had to visit New Orleans last week for work and was a little surprised to see a bouncer OCing at the Voodoo 2 Lounge. It is in the central business district, which tends to be a little seedier than Bourbon.

Not sure what the laws are on this, but I wouldn't want to OC if my job included going hand to hand on a daily basis, with multiple people at a time in some cases.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Morbidrealities
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bouncer OCing in New Orleans

Post by Morbidrealities »

steveincowtown wrote:I had to visit New Orleans last week for work and was a little surprised to see a bouncer OCing at the Voodoo 2 Lounge. It is in the central business district, which tends to be a little seedier than Bourbon.

Not sure what the laws are on this, but I wouldn't want to OC if my job included going hand to hand on a daily basis, with multiple people at a time in some cases.
:iagree:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

steveincowtown wrote:I had to visit New Orleans last week for work and was a little surprised to see a bouncer OCing at the Voodoo 2 Lounge. It is in the central business district, which tends to be a little seedier than Bourbon.

Playing devil's advocate here...
Would you say the same about an on-duty police officer?

I'm not saying that the bouncer's decision was right, but I'd probably use different criteria to judge his decision. Either way, I do hope that this bouncer has a good retention holster, and has had significant training in weapon retention as well. It could be a bad situation for all if he were to become unexpectedly disarmed during an encounter.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

Vol Texan wrote:

Playing devil's advocate here...
Would you say the same about an on-duty police officer?

I'm not saying that the bouncer's decision was right, but I'd probably use different criteria to judge his decision. Either way, I do hope that this bouncer has a good retention holster, and has had significant training in weapon retention as well. It could be a bad situation for all if he were to become unexpectedly disarmed during an encounter.
Agreed.

A bouncer really has only 2 jobs. #1> Check ID's and #2> Remove (go hand to hand) with people who are causing a problem.

LEO's have a wide variety of jobs throughout any given day, which may or may not involve going hand to hand. They also typically have have multiple other tools on hand to prevent going hand to hand (baton, Taser, etc.) Presumably all LEO's have weapons retention training and are carrying in a level 3 holster. Not saying this fine gentleman/bouncer did not, but I somehow doubt it.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I've heard my fair share of stories of shootings outside a nightclub because a patron a) was evicted (ie, hand to hand), and b) returned, disgruntled, to start shooting.

So, I get it, wanting to be armed. The OC part is a personal judgment call.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

OC without a permit is legal in LA. I've done it in NOLA, had to take my jacket off because of the heat and exposed my CC (I have the license of course). I'm not sure I would want to OC on a confrontational type job, however.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Other States”