Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

New Orleans concealed carry

Post by Soap »

I've heard before NO has strict laws. I went there recently and I carried anyway. I saw no gun buster signs.

There was a mass shooting in NO. I just saw the mayor say they're making firearms arrest. He said do not bring them to the French quarter. He goes on and on. Is he including permit holsters or just trying to talk tough?

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Orleans concealed carry

Post by ELB »

I vote for trying to talk tough. ETA: that doesn't mean that he and the local prosecutors would not try to turn a good defensive shooting into a circus and referendum on licensed carry, tho. I would give N.O. and especially the Quarter a pass right now.

Ed Driscoll over at Instapundit notes that New Orleans hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1868.

Last edited by ELB on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

http://www.guns.com/2016/09/13/package- ... w-orleans/

New set of municipal gun laws signed into law in NO just two months ago; the new laws took effect at signing. I don't know much about Louisiana law, but I assume, given what NO City Council just did, that there is no pre-emption. And, lest we forget, Mayor Mitch Landrieu is a member of Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns; that should tell you something.

As to legal carrying, the new laws sets all New Orleans Recreation Development Commission parks (there are 103) and facilities as well as areas where NORDC-sponsored events are taking place as gun-free zones. I have no idea what this means to the French Quarter, and at first glance it's unclear to me what kind of signage will be required and when those signs are required to be posted.

FWIW, the new NO gun laws were not backed by the New Orleans Police Department Fraternal Order of Police.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Yea, New Orleans does not exactly have a gun friendly history as best I can determine. Probably due to the long history of Democrat control.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

My wifey and I took a side trip to NO years ago. After witnessing a filthy city, we did not even stop. I have since never had a desire to go to NO again and I can't think of a reason that I would. JM$.02W
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The French quarter is an outdoor public rest room. Literally.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

twomillenium wrote:My wifey and I took a side trip to NO years ago. After witnessing a filthy city, we did not even stop. I have since never had a desire to go to NO again and I can't think of a reason that I would. JM$.02W
Food.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

twomillenium wrote:My wifey and I took a side trip to NO years ago. After witnessing a filthy city, we did not even stop. I have since never had a desire to go to NO again and I can't think of a reason that I would. JM$.02W
And it's such a shame. Thirty-five or 40 years ago, one of the advantages to living in SE Texas was that a weekend mini-vacation to New Orleans was possible. Jackson Square was clean, lively, and filled with portrait artists, not panhandlers. The classic NO restaurants alone were worth the trip: Cafe du Monde, Brennan's, Antoine's, Commanders Palace. Bourbon Street was about jazz clubs and great music and keep-the-glass Hurricanes, not about depravity, pickpockets, and urinating in the street.

I recognize "old guy nostalgia" may color some of my memories, but I stopped considering New Orleans a vacation--or corporate conference--destination even before Katrina.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I won't even dignify this "famous" po' boy establishment by name, but after weeks of anticipation waiting to go there a few years ago, we walked in and saw a gigantic shrine to Ray Nagin they had on their wall. Turned around and walked right out.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

New law appears to be working well!

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... rlean.html
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soap »

Everyone hating on NO. My family built that city. It is a dump. But its our dunp. God the music and food are great. Thanks for the info. I could care less about the laws. I will always carry

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Soap wrote:Everyone hating on NO. My family built that city. It is a dump. But its our dunp. God the music and food are great. Thanks for the info. I could care less about the laws. I will always carry
:nono: "not caring" about laws is NOT what this forum is about.... we respect the laws, eve if we don't agree.

New Orleans is as unique of a city as others. They all have their good and bad :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

spolct

Post by spolct »

I did a couple of quick reads about the recent NO laws passed and they seemed to indicate that exceptions to the 'gun free' zones are LE and concealed carry permit holders.
Next, the measure would make all of the 103 New Orleans Recreation Development Commission parks and facilities as well as areas where NORDC-sponsored events are taking place officially gun free zones under threat of a $500 fine or six months in jail. Exemptions are in place for law enforcement or those with a concealed carry permit. Open carry is legal in Louisiana without a permit, but would be barred from these recreational areas under the new law.
http://www.guns.com/2016/09/09/new-orle ... -gun-laws/

also,
A second part of the bill is a scaled-down measure that would ban guns in city-owned buildings, parks or other facilities where New Orleans Recreation Development Commission activities occur. That provision is, in part, a reaction to the Bunny Friend playground shooting last year that left 17 people injured.

Concealed carry permit holders and law enforcement officers would be exempt from that ban.
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 03c59.html

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

New Orleans and the French Quarter have been wild and dangerous for a long time. About 45 years ago my sister and her new husband was walking down one of the streets in French Quarter in mid day - car pulls up across the street, guys get out and gun down another guy walking down the street, then drive off. It has been probably 35 years since I've been to the Big Easy- even then, like all large cities, you had to be careful where you went and how you went about doing things. Being young and foolish then my friends and I probably did a lot of very stupidly during our trips there for Mardi Gras and music festivals. Fortunately we had a couple of native N'Awlins guys in our group who kept us from straying into too much danger.
There's no place else like New Orleans. It's a shame that is has degenerated so badly under continued Democrat rule.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Other States”