Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling to Vermont

Post by Keith B »

Blackie wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
n the past, once we got to the proximity of the fascist NY State, its take the gun out of holster, empty it, put it into a lockbox separate from ammo/mags time...
Once you get to Vermont, keep the lock box handy for when you approach school zones... "rlol"
ScottDLS,
That applies to any state. your Permit to carry applies only to the locals. The feds will nail you on
the 1000 yard rule, which is federal, and ignorance of where the school is, is no excuse. If you get stopped
in that 1000 yards, chances are good that the locals will refer you to the Feds out of spite. There is no
wiggle room in that area.
My favourite carry state outside of Texas, Indiana. I would not buy a phone call in Illinois! Would not be there in the first place.

Blackie
GFSZA charges are very rare. It is usually a tag-on to some state level charge. I would not go wandering around armed on a school ground in a state where I didn't have a license from, but they would be really nit-picking to get you for just driving through the zone if you have a license and there is reciprocity with that state.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

IMO ATF is on pretty weak ground with their interpretation of GFSZA that non-res permits do not apply. Actually the entire LAW is on very weak ground with insufficient nexus to interstate commerce, which was the reason the original act was thrown out in Lopez. My personal opinion is they are not anxious to have GFSZA reviewed for a "technical" violation like an off duty LEO or out of state permittee with no other crimes involved.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dhoobler »

Blackie wrote:
ScottDLS,
That applies to any state. your Permit to carry applies only to the locals. The feds will nail you on
the 1000 yard rule, which is federal, and ignorance of where the school is, is no excuse. If you get stopped
in that 1000 yards, chances are good that the locals will refer you to the Feds out of spite. There is no
My favourite carry state outside of Texas, Indiana. I would not buy a phone call in Illinois! Would not be there in the first place.

Blackie
That is 1,000 feet, not yards, but your overall point is correct.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Blackie
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Blackie »

ScottDLS wrote:
Blackie wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
n the past, once we got to the proximity of the fascist NY State, its take the gun out of holster, empty it, put it into a lockbox separate from ammo/mags time...
Once you get to Vermont, keep the lock box handy for when you approach school zones... "rlol"
ScottDLS,

Blackie
Except that many states offer non-resident permits which DO cover you for GFSZA. But Vermont doesn't even have RESIDENT permits since it is a permitless carry state. Therefore no Vermont residents, other than on-duty LEO may carry in school zones in Vermont. :rules:

ScotDLS,
Re: SZAGF;Under the auspices of the GFSZA, public school mass shootings have been plentiful. The act was passed in 1990 and signed by President George H. W. Bush. In its wake a horrified nation has witnessed Columbine (April 20, 1999), Santana High School (March 5, 2001), Rocori High School (September 24, 2003), Red Lake Senior High School (March 21, 2005), Platte Canyon High School (September 27, 2006), Sandy Hook (December 14, 2012), Sparks Middle School (March 21, 2013), Arapahoe High School (December 13, 2013), and many others
So much for Gun Free Zones huh?
blackie

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/ ... nes-trump/

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dhoobler »

The 1990 GFSZ Act was ruled unconstitutional by the SCOTUS. Cogress passed a second bill in 1994 that was just a reworded copy of the 1990 bill. It has not been overturned.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Other States”