Texans can now get Illinois Non-resident CCL.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texans can now get Illinois Non-resident CCL.

Post by Oldgringo »

That settles it, my CC, me and my money are still not welcome in Illinois. I attended 2nd through the middle of 11th grade in southern Illinois and my youngest son was born in Alton, IL. You know, if Illinois would secede from Chicago, it might be an okay state?

mylostclub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mylostclub »

It's easy to look at something proposed on paper, but as many of us know, what are the "real-life" stories, and what is actually going to happen. This is a definite concern when you are talking about the state of Illinois. The only one's allowed to have guns in Illinois, are the illegals. I too, travel thru Illinois, and many times, am working in Illinois. I have studied their carry laws and what they will allow and not allow. Basically, if you have a gun, and are traveling thru the state, you have to pull over before you enter the state, lock it in the trunk, and then you are not allowed to stop in the state, including spending the night.
On a recent trip to Chicago ( I was working there for 3 months in a very bad part of town), I was able to play golf with a CPD Officer. He was very pro CCW/LTC, and couldn't believe that my employer had me working in the area that I was, by myself. WE discussed the fact that I carry, and the possible problems that it may cause.
He stated on several occasions that he would do the same thing, carry, as my/his life was my important and it would not be left to someone else to decide when and if we could protect ourselves. He also stated that even though I had a CCW permit from my home state, it would not be honored or recognized, and that if I got caught with my gun it would be considered a felony. This was last year, and at that time, Illinois DID NOT HONOR any states permit.
Again, consider the history of Chicago/Illinois. To this day they are pressing for more gun control. I will be very surprised the day they legally allow other states to bring guns in.
Fortunately, I have not had a real life experience with the Law in Illinois. But, I can tell you, from what I have heard, and knowing the extreme liberal background, it's probably not one of the states that you want to push your luck.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

mylostclub wrote: Basically, if you have a gun, and are traveling thru the state, you have to pull over before you enter the state, lock it in the trunk, and then you are not allowed to stop in the state, including spending the night.
This is incorrect. If you have a permit from any other state, you can carry legally in your vehicle. You just can't carry outside of it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oohrah »

Keith, IL honors the Federal transport rules. If you unload your firearm and lock it in a case you can carry into your hotel, as this is considered your abode under IL law. You can also possess a firearm without a FOID (if you are a non-resident) at a private residence if you have the permission of the owner.

And you are correct, when IL passed their CCL law, it included the provision for licensees from other states to carry in their vehicles, even if IL did not recognize that state's laws as "substantially similar".

IL is kinda where TX was 20 year ago, altho it is considerably more liberal since Cook County controls most of the politics. IL has more statutory restrictions on where you can CC (such as public parks, and public transportation), but other than statutory places, you can CC anywhere that is not legally posted at private businesses, etc.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

poppo

Post by poppo »

I know this is an old thread, but I had gotten my IL non-resident licence back in 2018 and it is coming up for renewal next year. I did the course through a place in Houston last time (I am near San Antonio), but it seems they are no longer in business. Anyone know of another place here in TX that does the renewal class? I can do it in IL the next time I go there, but just wanted to see what other options there are.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

poppo wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:27 pm I know this is an old thread, but I had gotten my IL non-resident licence back in 2018 and it is coming up for renewal next year. I did the course through a place in Houston last time (I am near San Antonio), but it seems they are no longer in business. Anyone know of another place here in TX that does the renewal class? I can do it in IL the next time I go there, but just wanted to see what other options there are.
Try this link to find instructors certified for the Illinois license. https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/instructors.aspx
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

poppo

Post by poppo »

Thanks. I know the Houston one is not valid anymore. I will try the Austin <cringe> one.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

poppo wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:27 pm I know this is an old thread, but I had gotten my IL non-resident license back in 2018 and it is coming up for renewal next year. I did the course through a place in Houston last time (I am near San Antonio), but it seems they are no longer in business. Anyone know of another place here in TX that does the renewal class? I can do it in IL the next time I go there, but just wanted to see what other options there are.
Just renewed my IL CCL in June. Took the class at Quail Creek Range north of Ft Worth (I'm in Waco). The instructor is listed on the ISP Applicant Portal as "Lone Star Firearm Instruction". The email listed is valid.

I did not do fingerprints. Under current IL COVID relief, as long as you get your full renewal submitted and paid for prior to expiration your CCL will remain valid until you get your new card. It still takes 90-120 days to get the new license. ISP will send you an email that you can carry with your CCL to show any LEO that it is still valid.

And it should go without saying, your Texas LTC still needs to be valid.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

poppo

Post by poppo »

Thanks. I had emailed them but have not received a reply yet. The one up by Austin is also not available at this time. The guy is out of the country.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

poppo wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:29 pm Thanks. I know the Houston one is not valid anymore. I will try the Austin <cringe> one.
Mine is up for renewal and I just exchanged emails with Antione Turner in Houston. He wants $175 for the 3-hour course.
The guy in Austin is currently in Ukraine. We exchanged emails on Tuesday.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

poppo

Post by poppo »

OneGun wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:39 pm Mine is up for renewal and I just exchanged emails with Antione Turner in Houston.
Hmm... I never got a reply and the website he was associated with is gone. He is the one that did my original IL licence which is why I was trying him again. Guess I will try again. Same e-mail as listed on the link above?

I did get replies from the two near Dallas, but I would rather go to Houston.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OneGun »

poppo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 pm
OneGun wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:39 pm Mine is up for renewal and I just exchanged emails with Antione Turner in Houston.
Hmm... I never got a reply and the website he was associated with is gone. He is the one that did my original IL licence which is why I was trying him again. Guess I will try again. Same e-mail as listed on the link above?

I did get replies from the two near Dallas, but I would rather go to Houston.
Yeah, same email at his security company.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

poppo

Post by poppo »

OneGun wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:15 am Yeah, same email at his security company.
I e-mailed him again and this time got a reply. I thought he may have been gone because I got no response the first time and the web site he listed on the previous e-mails does not work. www.tforcepss.com

I also got replies from the two up by Dallas, so I think I am good to go one way or another.

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Good luck. I happen to be heading to IL tomorrow.
USMC, Retired

Return to “Other States”