Texans can now get Illinois Non-resident CCL.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 5

Texans can now get Illinois Non-resident CCL.

Post by oohrah »

I follow IL laws becasue my I visit my daughter's family frequently. This is a HUGE change. From the ISP FAQ web page:

"Can out-of-state residents obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License?
Yes. However, only residents of states or territories of the United States that have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act are eligible.
What does "substantially similar" mean?
"Substantially Similar" means the comparable state regulates who may carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; prohibits all who have involuntary mental health admissions, and those with voluntary admissions within the past 5 years, from carrying firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public; reports denied persons to NICS; and participates in reporting persons authorized to carry firearms, concealed or otherwise, in public through Nlets.
How can I find out if my state's laws are considered "substantially similar?"
The Illinois State Police sent a survey to each state to determine which of them has laws that are substantially similar. Currently, the only states considered to be substantially similar are Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia.
Note: Not all states have responded to the survey."

It appears you also have to have a LTC already from your state to apply.

I should also note that IL already allows vehicle concealed carry, if you are licensed by your state to CC.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Texans can now get Illinois Non-resident CCL.

Post by ScottDLS »

Awesome. I am going to get one....My goal is to get non-res licenses in the hardest states that offer one.... So far I have CT, but would like to try IL and MA. :clapping:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

Texas has a "unilateral" agreement with Illinois - meaning that an Illinois CCL holder can carry in Texas. However, Texas LTC holder may not carry in Illinois without an Illinois CCL.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

427Aggie

Post by 427Aggie »

has anyone started with this yet? I just tried to apply and get stuck at the training certification so are you still required to take a 16 hour class in Illinois?

stroo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stroo »

Yes it appears that you still have to take the 16 hour class from an Illinois instructor although not necessarily in Illinois. I found two Illinois instructors in Texas, one in Collin County and one in Harris County.

And it costs $300. Given that I spend about 12 hours a year driving through Illinois to and from Michigan. I don't think I will do this. I just keep disarming in Missouri, locking up my gun and rearming in Michigan.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

stroo wrote:Yes it appears that you still have to take the 16 hour class from an Illinois instructor although not necessarily in Illinois. I found two Illinois instructors in Texas, one in Collin County and one in Harris County.

And it costs $300. Given that I spend about 12 hours a year driving through Illinois to and from Michigan. I don't think I will do this. I just keep disarming in Missouri, locking up my gun and rearming in Michigan.
You don't have to disarm while driving throughout Illinois. If you have a Texas License you can carry in your car legally through Illinois.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oohrah »

Stroo, do you have links to those instructors?

BTW, IL will waive 8 hours of the required 16 hrs if you have military service.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

ScottDLS wrote:
stroo wrote:Yes it appears that you still have to take the 16 hour class from an Illinois instructor although not necessarily in Illinois. I found two Illinois instructors in Texas, one in Collin County and one in Harris County.

You don't have to disarm while driving throughout Illinois. If you have a Texas License you can carry in your car legally through Illinois.
What about when you need to get out, do you put in glove box or does it need to be cleared with ammo stored separately?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

suthdj wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

What about when you need to get out, do you put in glove box or does it need to be cleared with ammo stored separately?
Once you leave your car, you wouldn't be "carrying it" or even technically "possess" it until you got back to your car, so unless there are some unusual storage laws in Illinois, I would leave it in whatever condition you please. If I have to go into a prohibited location in Texas, I leave my handgun locked in my car glovebox. If someone wants it bad enough to break into my car and get it at least I made them break the car locks.

Alf

Post by Alf »

If I get an Illinois license I can carry in Texas and Illinois.

If I get a Texas license I can carry in Texas, but not Illinois.

Is that right?

stroo

Post by stroo »

oohrah, When I looked at the Illinois site, it had a search function for instructors nationwide.

stroo

Post by stroo »

While I would trust the police in central and southern Illinois, I generally need to go through the Chicago area, although not Chicago proper. I don't trust the police in the Chicago area to deal with the carry laws properly and I don't feel like taking a ride. Therefore, when I go through Illinois, I will continue to disarm and lock my gun up.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

stroo wrote:While I would trust the police in central and southern Illinois, I generally need to go through the Chicago area, although not Chicago proper. I don't trust the police in the Chicago area to deal with the carry laws properly and I don't feel like taking a ride. Therefore, when I go through Illinois, I will continue to disarm and lock my gun up.
If they don't follow the law saying you can carry the gun loaded in your car, what makes you think they'll follow the law that says you can carry it locked in your trunk? :biggrinjester:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I find it somewhat disheartening Texas concealed carry license requirements are "substantially similar" to those of Illinois.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

It would be much better if they recognized Texas. This makes them something like D.C. In that they recognize there own but everybody else has to get there non-resident carry permit.

Return to “Other States”