Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 2

Freedom Lost

Post by ajwakeboarder »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have been trying for 5 years to achieve my dream of becoming an Air Traffic Controller. After all of that work, I finally passed the Academy friday. Unfortunately, My option of facilities included New York Air Traffic Control Center and Oakland Air Traffic Control Center. My only other option was to resign. Given the choices. I chose California because my wife and I have friends stationed at Travis. I have tried researching some of the gun laws, but I can't make head or tail of most of them. I am aware that my ARs will have to remain behind, but what about my handguns and shotguns? Can anyone please send me some resources with this information?
I will get back to Texas as soon as I am able.
Thank you all!!!
AJ
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Freedom Lost

Post by parabelum »

My friend, congratulations on your gig but I'm sorry to tell you...get ready for paperwork and runaround bonanza.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There is always hope of a transfer later.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I must honestly say that I ignored all of the Kalifornia laws when I was there for 8 1/2 years. I hid most of my weapons in a hidden vault I built into the attic of my house that was air conditioned. The only weapons I had out was my Springfield Mil spec and a Browning A-5. I never went to a range so I never took my weapons out in public.

It is a shame your path leads you to the land of fruits and nuts. Conservatives in the Bay Area can take a severe beating for holding our views on life. We lived in Antioch which is in the East Bay from Oakland. We had a marvelous time regardless of the political climate. Kalifornia is a beautiful state if you ignore the libs. Get out to the rural areas and the folks are just like us. Our favorite place was Virginia City, Nevada. We RVed a lot and the RV park there is top notch.

We spent time and traveled from San Diego all the way to BC Canada (Banff).

Oakland is a seriously troubled city. Watchyerbehind in Oakland.

I actually had to draw my Springer on a man in my driveway one day. PM me if you want the details.

Had a run in with a gang banger in my front yard too. Serious stuff. I spoke with Antioch PD about it and told him of my background. Cop was on gang unit. He tracked down the individual and convinced him he didn't want any part of a confrontation with me. Again, pm me if you want details.

I pray you are safe in your future and that you can quickly earn a transfer back to the Lone Star State.

Stay in touch here.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I do not know where to begin to tell you to search the laws for California, but congratulations on achieving your goal. Sorry you are having to move and will pray the best for you and your family.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I spent about 10 years of my USAF career in NorCal, first at Beale, and later at Travis. I understand that you have to go where the work takes you. Oakland can be a REALLY rough area, so I imagine you will be living elsewhere. The big money tech types in San Fran have driven housing prices through the roof throughout that area. All I can say is live as far east as you can, and get a car with good gas mileage. Sacramento is a much better town than anyplace in the Bay, IMHO. I wish you success in your endeavors there. As for places to go shoot, there is a really good range in Yolo County (northeast of the Bay), the Yolo Sportsmens Association, located at a small airport near Davis. They are all "gun guys and gals" there, the prices were reasonable for membership, and the range is well-cared for. I used to shoot there quite often. As for California gun laws, find "Calguns.net", they fight for gun rights in that state and are extremely knowledgeable. I used to go to the site a lot when I was stationed out there. Best of luck in your future endeavors, be safe.

P.S. Make sure you go eat at Claim Jumpers, it's an excellent restaurant chain in the state.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Approved roster of handguns legal to buy/sell in California.

If you have any pistols (or rifles) with magazine capacities of 10 rounds or greater — assuming that the firearm is legal in California to begin with — you'll have to replace all the mags with 10-round versions. Some pistols, like say a Glock (Gen4 for instance) may be legal to own, but not legal to transfer.

I have found that the Calguns.net forum is a very good source of what's legal and what isn't: How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me is one place to start.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

K.Mooneyham wrote:P.S. Make sure you go eat at Claim Jumpers, it's an excellent restaurant chain in the state.
......but DON'T wear a tie in there. It used to be that if you wore a tie into a Claim Jumpers, one of the waiters would take a pair of scissors to it, and tack the trophy to the "wall of ties".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Congratulations and Condolensces.

Seriously, that is quite the accomplishment. I'm sure it will take some getting used to but best wishes with the new career.

Only California gun law I know is the one that says guns aren't allowed and to give them to mojo84.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Spent 4 years at Travis in the early 70's. California was livable then. My brothers live in San Jose and are always trying to figure out how to beat the gun laws in Commiefornia. Serve your time in California and hope you can transfer back to a real state after that. As a pilot I have tremendous respect for the wonderful work that flight controllers do. Never had a bad experience and was always helped when the road ahead looked bad. This was way before the improved weather capability we have now.
Remember to visit the great wineries in Napa valley. Vallejo and east are nice living areas. The one thing I did note when I moved to Texas, the price of housing in California was 3 times the equivalent house in Texas. Don't even think San Francisco.

The Annoyed Man

rotor wrote:Spent 4 years at Travis in the early 70's. California was livable then. My brothers live in San Jose and are always trying to figure out how to beat the gun laws in Commiefornia. Serve your time in California and hope you can transfer back to a real state after that. As a pilot I have tremendous respect for the wonderful work that flight controllers do. Never had a bad experience and was always helped when the road ahead looked bad. This was way before the improved weather capability we have now.
Remember to visit the great wineries in Napa valley. Vallejo and east are nice living areas. The one thing I did note when I moved to Texas, the price of housing in California was 3 times the equivalent house in Texas. Don't even think San Francisco.
We had friends who moved from Pasadena up to Palo Alto during the first dot com boom circa 1998 or so. They paid over $900,000 for a 850 sq ft house. When we moved here in 2006, we sold our Pasadena house for $530K. We had paid $170K for it just a 7 years earlier in 1999. 2 weeks after we sold, the CA housing bubble burst, and within a month after moving in, the new owner of our old house, who had paid $530K for it, was sitting in a $280K house with more than $500K in mortgage to pay. The real estate market in California is psychotic.

Best of luck with your move though. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Approved roster of handguns legal to buy/sell in California.

If you have any pistols (or rifles) with magazine capacities of 10 rounds or greater — assuming that the firearm is legal in California to begin with — you'll have to replace all the mags with 10-round versions. Some pistols, like say a Glock (Gen4 for instance) may be legal to own, but not legal to transfer.

I have found that the Calguns.net forum is a very good source of what's legal and what isn't: How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me is one place to start.
10 rounds is good 11 rounds is bad. What sucks is that modifying the mags so that they can't accept more than 10 rounds isn't good enough. Logic would dictate that gluing a block of wood to the bottom of a follower would be good enough, or soldering a few rounds of brass together and assembling semi-permanently inside the mag.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

This appears to be a big help. I find it amazing they even list the color of some of the firearms. I noticed on Glock it listed the OD green. I don't think I would get to be a free man there as I would be arrested and on perpetual probation.

The Annoyed Man

carlson1 wrote:
This appears to be a big help. I find it amazing they even list the color of some of the firearms. I noticed on Glock it listed the OD green. I don't think I would get to be a free man there as I would be arrested and on perpetual probation.
Worse yet, the roster is a list of guns that are approved for FFLs to SELL in California.

Gen 4 Glocks (and a LOT of other models from other manufacturers) aren't on the current roster, and likely won't be. To be on the roster, a manufacturer has to supply sample guns to the state for examination in order to be included. Manufacturers aren't bothering to submit their firearms for inclusion to the roster because of California's mandated microstampting requirement, which all manufacturers know is simply an impractical requirement that won't work. In January of last year, 80 formerly legal-to-sell handguns dropped off the roster. Each year, more of them drop off the roster. In just a few years, there won't be any handguns on the California approved roster for sale in the state. When that happens, the only legally owned handguns in California will be those that were in private hands......and who knows how long before those are made illegal and are required to be "turned in".

Quoting my link:
Since January 2014, when the UHA roster contained 1,152 approved models, it has constricted to 741 in the past two years as legacy handguns, certified for a five-year period, cannot meet the state’s new microstamping mandate that took effect in 2013 and fall off the list. In 2008, the number of guns on the roster stood at over 1,400.

This month no less than 80 guns to include several models of Colt’s M1991, a dozen Sig Sauer P-series variants, a whole page of Springfield XDs and the last two Ruger semi-autos on the list — the discontinued P95/KP95 pistols — all passed their certification period and were subsequently removed.

Worse, the list of guns recently added is blank as manufacturers to include Ruger and Smith & Wesson have declined to re-submit any of their guns following the addition of the microstamping requirement.

“California’s handgun roster and microstamping laws are a nothing short of a ban on safe, modern firearms that are commonly purchased by residents of other states for lawful purposes like self-defense,” Brandon Combs, executive director of the Calguns Foundation told Guns.com Tuesday.

“We predicted years ago that the roster would continue to shrink, and we’re seeing that here,” he said.
Calguns.net predicts that in six years, the roster will sink to zero approved guns for sale by an FFL in California.........which is EXACTLY what the gun-grabbing commies in California wanted.

MY prediction is that, as those models used by police departments begin to drop off the list, the manufacturers of those models will begin refusing to ship their guns OR PARTS FOR THOSE GUNS into California's various LEO department armories, just like Barrett did a few years ago with their .50 cal rifles. Ammo companies have already begun withdrawing from that failed states. When that happens, the state's criminals - who NEVER had any trouble getting their hands on any guns they wanted, at any time and in any place - will be in full control of the state. For a while, the police will continue to try and put up a fight against it, but over time, their existing inventory of weapons will wear out, AND their ammo inventories will be burned up. California may try to sidestep federal law (as it already does in other areas of the law) and try to import foreign made weapons and ammo supplies into the state. What remains to be seen then will be whether or not fedgov't will interfere in preventing the imports; the degree to which the state's governor, whom I assume will be Big Daddy Governor for Life Idi Moonbeam, will attempt to mobilize the CANG for law enforcement purposes; and the degree to which the sitting POTUS will assist or interfere in that effort.

But there is no denying that California's gov't is a failing state, and their attacks on the 2nd Amendment lead the way in that "effort". It should be an object lesson for the other 49 states. Unfortunately, half a dozen others are headed down that same road.

#TINVOWOOT

Riley

Post by Riley »

The Annoyed Man wrote:MY prediction is that, as those models used by police departments begin to drop off the list, the manufacturers of those models will begin refusing to ship their guns OR PARTS FOR THOSE GUNS into California's various LEO department armories
I wish that were true but those single source contracts are too lucrative for them to turn down.

Return to “Other States”