Questions from AZ resident moving to Texas

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
csharlow
Posts in topic: 1

Questions from AZ resident moving to Texas

Post by csharlow »

I am currently a resident of Arizona with a Valid Arizona Concealed Carry Permit. I have accepted a job in Texas and will be moving shortly. I know that via the reciprocity agreements I am legally allowed to carry as a visitor to Texas. My question is: Is my concealed carry permit valid once I become a resident of the state of Texas? If so are there any notable limitations for having an out of state permit? If not is my AZ permit valid as the class requirement for a Texas LTC. I have done some research on the topic but everything i can seem to find is 5 years out of date and a lot can change in 5 years.

Thanks for any information that is provided.

carlson1

Re: Questions from AZ resident moving to Texas

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum and an early welcome to Texas. Your Arizona permit is fine in Texas. The only loophole I know of is the "gun free school zones."

One of the legal members will be able to help more.

Bodeneth

Post by Bodeneth »

Yeah.... I was planning to get my az permit to save $80, but ended up getting my tx permit since az requires a firearm course instructor to be nra certified. Instead of paying $40 for another course, I just got the tx permit. Another person on this forum told me that he was able to skirt the nra instructor thing simply by sending in a copy of his tx permit when he applied for his az non resident permit.

Anyway....due to the fact that there is no difference between an az resident permit and a non resident permit, you can move here and continue using your az permit.

Two things tho, you need to keep your az permit updated with your tx address after you move here. Altho you'd likely never have any problems with your az address on it, you might run across a tx cop having a bad day who wants to be all nit picky about it.

Two, as was already addressed in a different response, the whole school safe zone issue would apply. If I were you, Id just carry my az license with your tx address on it, then get your tx permit once permit fees drop way low after sept 1.

I asked a san antonio police officer about how he would view a tx resident with an az permit. His exact words were...I dont give a _______ where the permit was issued, as long as it has numbers on it that will allow me to verify that its valid and current.

So there ya have it....welcome to tx bro. You are good.to go.
My Springfield Armory XD 45 Mod 2 with a 3.3in barrel rides around in an Aliengear IWB 3.0, mounted on a Bigfoot / Aliengear gunbelt.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Bodeneth wrote:Two things tho, you need to keep your az permit updated with your tx address after you move here. Altho you'd likely never have any problems with your az address on it, you might run across a tx cop having a bad day who wants to be all nit picky about it.
There is no address on the Arizona CWP card.

Return to “Other States”