MI: State Tells Marine He Has to Give Up His 2nd Amendment Rights to Raise His Grandson

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

MI: State Tells Marine He Has to Give Up His 2nd Amendment Rights to Raise His Grandson

Post by Flightmare »

http://tribunist.com/news/state-tells-m ... -to-court/
The judge reportedly stated, “We know we are violating numerous constitutional rights here, but if you do not comply, we will remove the boy from your home.”
So the judge admitted to violating the Constitution? Sounds like grounds for removal to me.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Re: MI: State Tells Marine He Has to Give Up His 2nd Amendment Rights to Raise His Grandson

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hope it gets to SCOTUS. My guess is that this court would overturn Michigan's statute.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Re: MI: State Tells Marine He Has to Give Up His 2nd Amendment Rights to Raise His Grandson

Post by strogg »

Wow... So unalienable constitutional rights of the people are only valid if they suit the interests of the ones in charge of enforcing it? I'm starting to feel like more and more states in this nation are turning toward authoritarianism. It's such a travesty.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

While I believe the state is correct to demand that all firearms be locked and not available to the children. But a judge acknowleging he is acting contrary to the constitution is appalling. There can be no higher arrogance of the court than a judge claiming that he is above the law above the very constitution itself.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

This is a State Agency policy, not State law. If I remember correctly, there was a similar case here in Texas, and the agency backed off of it's policy. I too hope this goes to SCOTUS, and that all foster care, adoption agencies, etc. are put on notice that these types of infringements, will not be tolerated. This is no different than denying someone the ability to foster, or adopt, based on race, religion, etc.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

There is another interesting question: where does the State get the authority to decide who raises a family member? In the past custodial care was often worked out among family members. While I can see that in the cases abandoned or completely orphaned children, some help may be needed to find an alternative. But churches and other institutions have always played a role in these matters and in many other countries today, play the primary role. It wasn't until the 18th century that the State really seemed to do more than provide funding. Then the birth of State run orphanages and the horrors of them lead to the dismantling of the physical institutions but governments seem to want a larger and larger share of the control in the process.

The recent news articles about the UK and the denial of medical support for the allegedly terminal infant should be a reminder of the growth of this power. The underlying theme of the OP is that the State knows better what is better for the child than the grandparents. We see CPS in Texas with the same mentality in the licensing of day care facilities. It isn't just the court and the judge with this mindset.
Last edited by chasfm11 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

we have friends in a similar situation- once a child is taken from the parents, even family members have to qualify as foster. If they had done this prior, the grandparents could have probably just been given custody.

It's a very broken system, no doubt, but even worse for the kids in it. :grumble

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

chasfm11 wrote:There is another interesting question: where does the State get the authority to decide who raises a family member? In the past custodial care was often worked out among family members. While I can see that in the cases abandoned or completely orphaned children, some help may be needed to find an alternative. But churches and other institutions have always played a role in these matters and in many other countries today, play the primary role. It wasn't until the 18th century that the State really seemed to do more than provide funding. Then the birth of State run orphanages and the horrors of them lead to the dismantling of the physical institutions but governments seem to want a larger and larger share of the control in the process.

The recent news articles about the UK and the denial of medical support for the allegedly terminal infant should be a reminder of the grow of this power. The underlying theme of the OP is that the State knows better what is better for the child than the grandparents. We see CPS in Texas with the same mentality in the licensing of day care facilities. It isn't just the court and the judge with this mindset.

The article doesn't say, but my best guess is, that the child in question, was probably already in the system as a foster child. I don't know how Michigan agencies are set up, but here in Texas, if it was a simple case of a child moving in with grandparents, the only agency involved, would be child protective services, where they would do an investigation, and not remove the child unless there were extenuating circumstances. Since they have described this as a foster care issue, I am just assuming that the child was removed, from the home, placed in foster care, and the grandparents applied to be his/her foster parents. That's why it went to court. The odd thing to me, is that rather than just apply for full guardianship, they went through the foster care system, which, pays the foster parents a stipend for the care of the child. Full guardianship, or adoption, doesn't pay them. I know that if it were my grandchild, I would simply take over guardianship, which gives me full parental rights. Of course this is all conjecture since, the article, leaves out a lot of detail, and again, Michigan agencies, may differ from those here. JMHO

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

flechero wrote:we have friends in a similar situation- once a child is taken from the parents, even family members have to qualify as foster. If they had done this prior, the grandparents could have probably just been given custody.

It's a very broken system, no doubt, but even worse for the kids in it. :grumble

Are they really "foster" parents, or are they guardians? It is my understanding that they can be given, custody, and guardianship, without going through the foster care system. But I am relying on memory, which, at my age, is suspect at best. :mrgreen:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Gun Talk Radio had an interview with the lawyer on the lawsuit yesterday (brief interview). From what he said, it was mainly the state agency making demands. The judge was just unable or unwilling to declare their regulation invalid. They have just filed the lawsuit so there hadn't been any reviews or rulings yet.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Liberty wrote:While I believe the state is correct to demand that all firearms be locked and not available to the children. But a judge acknowleging he is acting contrary to the constitution is appalling. There can be no higher arrogance of the court than a judge claiming that he is above the law above the very constitution itself.
This is the law in Texas, and I would assume in Michigan as well. Unless Michigan law otherwise allows minors to have access to loaded firearms, the state agency has zero reason to get involved.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Jusme wrote:
flechero wrote:we have friends in a similar situation- once a child is taken from the parents, even family members have to qualify as foster. If they had done this prior, the grandparents could have probably just been given custody.

Are they really "foster" parents, or are they guardians? It is my understanding that they can be given, custody, and guardianship, without going through the foster care system. But I am relying on memory, which, at my age, is suspect at best. :mrgreen:
In my friends case, they had to go through the full blown foster qualifications to take a nephew... it was an absolutely ridiculous process. (we walked through it with them as they are part of our Bible study /Com group.) I see why so many people are turned off by the process.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

flechero wrote:
Jusme wrote:

In my friends case, they had to go through the full blown foster qualifications to take a nephew... it was an absolutely ridiculous process. (we walked through it with them as they are part of our Bible study /Com group.) I see why so many people are turned off by the process.
a court will determine that they are guardians. But yes, they have to go through most if not all of the "foster" junk, including all of the "how to raise a kid" classes.
Now....I'm not sure if the bill made it through or if was one that got knocked out in the mess, but there was a bill dealing with what they call "kinship care" that deals with just this and is intended to make it a bit easier. Because, yeh, people hate this and go running to the hills if they are gun folk or have pets or a slightly messy house.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Other States”