"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Southwest pilot arrested after gun found in carry-on luggage

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This story has several issues. First, Missouri is a "constitutional carry" state, meaning that no LTC equivalent is required. So I'm not sure why the story bothers to mention that the pilot didn't have a permit. Second, why would he be charged with "unlawful use" of a firearm? Maybe carry = use in Missouri?

I'm assuming that Missouri does not have similar laws to Texas where we must be given the chance to secure a weapon in our cars or checked baggage...

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This story has several issues. First, Missouri is a "constitutional carry" state, meaning that no LTC equivalent is required. So I'm not sure why the story bothers to mention that the pilot didn't have a permit. Second, why would he be charged with "unlawful use" of a firearm? Maybe carry = use in Missouri?

I'm assuming that Missouri does not have similar laws to Texas where we must be given the chance to secure a weapon in our cars or checked baggage...
The reason why the pilot was detained / arrested is because Missouri Code states that airports are off-limits:
Permitless Carry
571.030. 1. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons, except as otherwise provided by
sections 571.101 to 571.121, if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon
readily capable of lethal use into any area where firearms are restricted under section 571.107.

1. Permit Does Not Authorize Concealed Firearms, Where:

(8) Any area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property. Possession
of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the airport shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is
not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
Last edited by OneGun on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

OneGun wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:This story has several issues. First, Missouri is a "constitutional carry" state, meaning that no LTC equivalent is required. So I'm not sure why the story bothers to mention that the pilot didn't have a permit. Second, why would he be charged with "unlawful use" of a firearm? Maybe carry = use in Missouri?

The reason why the pilot was detained / arrested is because Missouri Code states that airports are off-limits:
1. Permit Does Not Authorize Concealed Firearms, Where:

(8) Any area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property. Possession
of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the airport shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is
not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
That makes sense. Texas (and likely just about every other state) has a similar restriction on carry. Where we apparently have it better than our brethren in MO is that if we forget about a gun in our checked bag, we are given the opportunity to rectify the situation as opposed to being arrested.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Shortly after 9/11 I was doing some work at an American Airlines pilot's house, he told me that they checked his carry on bag and confiscated his cuticle clippers, he asked the TSA agent why they took his cuticle clippers, the agent told him because they could be used to hijack the plane, the pilot said he twisted off on the guy and told him "I'm the pilot you idiot, I'm already in charge of the plane!" He told me the TSA agent just looked at him with a blank stare.
Nothing more scary than ignorance in motion!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Pritchical
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pritchical »

crazy2medic wrote:... if we forget about a gun in our checked bag, we are given the opportunity to rectify the situation as opposed to being arrested.
Can you please direct me to the source of that? I've not heard that, but it is refreshing. Thank you.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pritchical wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:... if we forget about a gun in our checked bag, we are given the opportunity to rectify the situation as opposed to being arrested.
Can you please direct me to the source of that? I've not heard that, but it is refreshing. Thank you.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... n-luggage/

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Pritchical wrote:

HB 554 from 2015 session relates to LTC having firearm in carry-on luggage at TSA checkpoint. Was signed into law after that session effective September 1, 2015

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0
NRA Life Member

Pritchical
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pritchical »

Thanks for the quick response, guys. That's comforting. It looks to me like it includes carrying on your person as well as in a carry-on though.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pritchical wrote:Thanks for the quick response, guys. That's comforting. It looks to me like it includes carrying on your person as well as in a carry-on though.
I believe it does. Although honestly I think it would be very unlikely for someone to forget they had a gun on their person. Maybe if they were wearing a real heavy coat and had a small J frame in one of the pockets? Much more likely to forget that a gun is in your carry-on. Especially if you use the same bag for your range bag (bad idea, IMHO).

Also note that you may still have issues with a missed flight, etc. Especially if you didn't drive yourself to the airport.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I believe the exemption in Texas is only if you have an LTC and are carrying or have it in your bag as you go through the non-secure to the secure area. If they find the gun than you can go back to the non-secure area area without being arrested. I do not think this covers having a gun in "checked" baggage which I assume they x-ray or something. You can have a gun in checked baggage if you go through the airline notification process. This is only for those people with LTC that carry into secure area by mistake.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:I believe the exemption in Texas is only if you have an LTC and are carrying or have it in your bag as you go through the non-secure to the secure area. If they find the gun than you can go back to the non-secure area area without being arrested. I do not think this covers having a gun in "checked" baggage which I assume they x-ray or something. You can have a gun in checked baggage if you go through the airline notification process. This is only for those people with LTC that carry into secure area by mistake.
I believe you are correct, sir. These are good points for clarification.

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Pritchical wrote:Thanks for the quick response, guys. That's comforting. It looks to me like it includes carrying on your person as well as in a carry-on though.
I believe it does. Although honestly I think it would be very unlikely for someone to forget they had a gun on their person. Maybe if they were wearing a real heavy coat and had a small J frame in one of the pockets? Much more likely to forget that a gun is in your carry-on. Especially if you use the same bag for your range bag (bad idea, IMHO).

Also note that you may still have issues with a missed flight, etc. Especially if you didn't drive yourself to the airport.
Maybe I am missing something but..... if someone forgets they are carrying a firearm maybe that person does not really need to be carrying a firearm.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Smokey613 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Maybe I am missing something but..... if someone forgets they are carrying a firearm maybe that person does not really need to be carrying a firearm.
First thing that comes to mind is women and their purses! My wife has rushed out of the house many times headed to a place she should know is off limits....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I am a retired postal employee and in the last few year I carried a cpap machine . I had been on vacation and carried a J-model in the papbag.
Used the machine at home out of the bag and for got the pistol in the bag. I went to a school and put the machine in the bag packed clothes and went
to a federal hotel and unpacked the machine and found the pistol. I almost dropped the bag when I found the pistol. I just put the bag with the pistol
in the closet and took the class and packed my bag and went home. Don't ask and don'tell.No one in the hotel ever had a worry about me. You stuff shirt LEOs will at some time make some mistakes. It is the human thing to do.

Return to “Other States”