Interstate Handguns.

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5655
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Interstate Handguns.

Postby Liberty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 am

If the Reciprocity act goes through, Interstate travelers will still have a dilemma. Certain guns, ammo and magazines are illegal in certain states.
As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?
Would a 1911 with ball ammo be appropriate? Maybe a revolver?

Just curious because up till now I never concidered packing anything else other than a 9mm high capacity loaded with defensive ammo. It would be nice to travel to all states legally. with a decent gun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4139
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby RPBrown » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:59 am

I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 3293
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

RPBrown wrote:I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through


:iagree:
I have two apps on my phone that have all 50 states gun laws and I always review the rules of each state I am going to be traveling through.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Si vis pacem, para bellum


ImportedTexan
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ImportedTexan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:48 am

bblhd672 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through


:iagree:
I have two apps on my phone that have all 50 states gun laws and I always review the rules of each state I am going to be traveling through.



Which apps, that sounds handy? I do quite a bit of interstate travel.

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby oohrah » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

I use the legal heat app. Handgunlaw.us is also good.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby MechAg94 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 am

I have heard that at least one version of the Constitutional Carry (HR 38?) has language that you are legal to carry what is legal in your home state or the state the permit is from. I do not know what limits or exceptions there are to that.

I agree the guns and ammo ownership restrictions could be an issue as well as the differences in how self defense is defined in the state law and how it is handled in court. I can see someone from say Texas getting tripped up over another state's law regarding duty to retreat for example. I can also easily see someone thinking something is legal when it is just that the activity was never prosecuted in their home state. Even after the lawsuits subside from the liberal states fighting Constitutional Carry, there will be more lawsuits and appeals over there sort of prosecutions.

Another reason I hope Trump continues to appoint more federal judges and more SC judges.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 7004
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby RoyGBiv » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... t%22%5D%7D

(2) The term ‘handgun’ includes any magazine for use in a handgun and any ammunition loaded into the handgun or its magazine.


Emphasis mine.

MY OPINION: I read the above as cutting the heart out of magazine limits and ammunition bans.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 3293
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:48 am

ImportedTexan wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I suppose it would be just as your DL now, you would still be required to know the rules of each state you go through


:iagree:
I have two apps on my phone that have all 50 states gun laws and I always review the rules of each state I am going to be traveling through.



Which apps, that sounds handy? I do quite a bit of interstate travel.


"Legal Heat" and "CCW" apps - both on iPhone.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Si vis pacem, para bellum

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby Lynyrd » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:07 am

Liberty wrote:As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?


What states restrict hollow points?
Do what you say you're gonna do.


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby NotRPB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 am

Liberty wrote:If the Reciprocity act goes through, Interstate travelers will still have a dilemma. Certain guns, ammo and magazines are illegal in certain states.
As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?
Would a 1911 with ball ammo be appropriate? Maybe a revolver?

Just curious because up till now I never considered packing anything else other than a 9mm high capacity loaded with defensive ammo. It would be nice to travel to all states legally. with a decent gun.


Alternative to Hollowpoints where they are illegal, is expanding FMJ, if you want expansion more than ball ammo 165 Grain Expanding FMJ is a light weight (low recoil & fast ) .45, still heavier (& wider hole) than a 9mm round, built to expand but isn't a "hollowpoint" https://www.google.com/search?q=expanding+fmj&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

I just bought some Federal Premium Ammunition - Guard Dog for that purpose
Image courtesy of & I purchased from https://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-165-gr-efmj-federal-premium-guard-dog-home-defense-20-rounds

Note: if they're sold out check here on the Ammo price search engine ... https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45acp/Federal-handgun-165grains-?ikw=dog
I have no affiliation with anyone, I am retired and UN-affiliated I don't even check dating sites I signed up on years ago
Image


2farnorth
Senior Member
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: Leonard, Tx

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby 2farnorth » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Lynyrd wrote:
Liberty wrote:As I understand it, to be universally legal it should be,
Mags should be ten rounds or less and no hollowpoints. Are there any other restrictions?


What states restrict hollow points?




I know New Jersey does but I'd have to check Md, NY, Ct, RI and Ma. I don't think Ca does -----yet.
N5PNZ


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby NotRPB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Unknown how up to date or out of date this is:
ok it says 2010

Ammunition-Laws-By-State

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... -State.pdf
do a word search for hollow points
odd that cities can pass laws in Cali so there's a patchwork of what's legal by city limits...
City of San Francisco
Banned Ammunition


It is unlawful for a licensee to sell, lease or otherwise transfer to any
person any ammunition that:
2

Serves no sporting purpose

Is designed to expand upon impact and utilize the
jacket, shot or materials em
bedded within the jacket or
shot to project or disperse ba
rbs or other objects that are
intended to increase the damage to a human body or
other target

Including, but not limited to:
1
Sacramento Municipal Code
§ 5.64.020(A)
2
San Francisco Police Code
§ 613.10(g)(1-3)
o
W
inchester Black Talon, Speer Gold
Dot, Federal Hydra Shok, Hornady XTP,
Eldorado Starfire, Hollow Point
Ammunition and Remington Golden
Sabre ammunition

Is designed to fragment upon impact

Including, but not limited to:
o
Black Rhino bullets and Glaser Safety
Slugs
o
Exception
1

Does not include lead core hollow point ammunition
when the purchase is made for official law enforcement
purposes and the purchaser is
authorized to make such a
purchase by the director of a public law enforcement
agency


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm

NotRPB wrote:Unknown how up to date or out of date this is:
ok it says 2010

Ammunition-Laws-By-State

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco ... -State.pdf
do a word search for hollow points
odd that cities can pass laws in Cali so there's a patchwork of what's legal by city limits...
City of San Francisco
Banned Ammunition


It is unlawful for a licensee to sell, lease or otherwise transfer to any
person any ammunition that:
2

Serves no sporting purpose

Is designed to expand upon impact and utilize the
jacket, shot or materials em
bedded within the jacket or
shot to project or disperse ba
rbs or other objects that are
intended to increase the damage to a human body or
other target

Including, but not limited to:
1
Sacramento Municipal Code
§ 5.64.020(A)
2
San Francisco Police Code
§ 613.10(g)(1-3)
o
W
inchester Black Talon, Speer Gold
Dot, Federal Hydra Shok, Hornady XTP,
Eldorado Starfire, Hollow Point
Ammunition and Remington Golden
Sabre ammunition

Is designed to fragment upon impact

Including, but not limited to:
o
Black Rhino bullets and Glaser Safety
Slugs
o
Exception
1

Does not include lead core hollow point ammunition
when the purchase is made for official law enforcement
purposes and the purchaser is
authorized to make such a
purchase by the director of a public law enforcement
agency


This law appears to only cover the sale or transfer of hollow point ammo, so unless you are planning to sell ammo while visiting, it shouldn't impact you.

But I agree that we will have a patch work of laws and regulations to navigate, even if this passes. Still would be better than the current state, though.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby rotor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:53 pm

We don't have reciprocity yet and I am not counting on it. Republicans seem to be all talk and no action. But be aware that some states have restrictions on the sale of certain firearms but that may not mean you can't carry them. California has a list of "compliant" guns that can be sold there. Massachusetts has restrictions on I believe trigger pull of certain guns. This is when you hate states rights. NJ has a ban on hollow points. I think even carrying ammo in DC is a crime.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 4092
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Interstate Handguns.

Postby ScottDLS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

rotor wrote:We don't have reciprocity yet and I am not counting on it. Republicans seem to be all talk and no action. But be aware that some states have restrictions on the sale of certain firearms but that may not mean you can't carry them. California has a list of "compliant" guns that can be sold there. Massachusetts has restrictions on I believe trigger pull of certain guns. This is when you hate states rights. NJ has a ban on hollow points. I think even carrying ammo in DC is a crime.


:iagree:

Wouldn't even get close to passing in the Senate and even if it did would be held up by leftist "lawfare" and liberal judges until a new Democrat majority repealed it. There's also the libertarian argument, which I somewhat subscribe to, that the Federal government should have no role in regulation of criminal enforcement powers of states, EXCEPT to the extent that they infringe on Constitutional rights of citizens or directly affect interstate commerce.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


Return to “Other States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests