Another Biased Article

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AJ80
Posts in topic: 3

Another Biased Article

Post by AJ80 »

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Another Biased Article

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I find it interesting that no where did he mention crimes rates go up where guns are baned. I agree that "massacers" are rare, but they are also getting more frequent. And as the article said, rape is not uncommon on a campus.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

As a person in power university professor, I'd prefer that the only person in my classroom the world to be armed be me
I fixed his first sentence in the second paragraph.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I found it interesting that he feels he is the only on that can safly carry a gun, but his trigger finger seems a bit itchy

mgood

Post by mgood »

The guy actually recognizes some of our main points, which makes me think he's waaay more open-minded than most of those who are against campus carry.

He's still against it. But in the right envoronment, with the right people, he could possibly be swayed.

oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

Contrary to the title of your thread, this is not an article. It doesn't claim to be an article. Articles are meant to be objective narratives of an event or situation. In an article the author is expected to refrain from allowing personal opinions to shape the delivery of information.

The link you posted is to an opinion piece, which by definition would represent a particular opinion or point of view, and thus would include what you have called bias.

Calling it an article as you did in the title of this thread implies that you see something improper or deceptive in this writing, namely an attempt to disguise an opinion piece as a news article.

I don't agree with the point of view of the opinion piece's author's, but I see no reason to accuse him of doing something wrong. His misdeed was to express an opinion that differs from mine ( and presumably yours) on this issue.

We don't have to demonize those with whom we disagree.

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

I looked up the definition of "article" on dictionary.com. I see nothing in the definition of "article" that says it has to be void of personal opinion.

Edit: Also did you see the photo that accompanied the "opinion piece"? It shows a man holding a shotgun with the caption "ready for school?" I'd say he's trying to misrepresent something alright.

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Here's the thing about "bias." If it had been an article supporting campus carry, it would have been biased, too. Of course, we wouldn't be complaining about it. We only complain about bias against our positions, not bias in favor of our positions. :patriot:
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

A logical look at the data available supports the position of licensed campus carry, does it not?

My ideal world would be one where everyone can be trusted to carry any kind of weapon they want anywhere they want. Where everyone works hard and earns the things they want. But I don't live in that fantasy world just because that's what I would like realty to be and my views of reality aren't built on that world either. I'm certainly not going to use a fantasy world to try arguing my side of things like some people use a fantasy world where people just snap for stupid reasons and start shooting.

He started off seeming well intentioned and balanced in his views, but, in from my understanding of what he wrote, ended with unrealistic sensationalism. The idea I got from his last paragraph, that if campus carry passed in Louisiana, he'd feel as though he'd have to start carrying just so he could shoot anyone he thinks may have a gun before they get a chance to shoot him is just ridiculous. The picture I mentioned earlier also gives me the same idea as his last paragraph did.

If he'd have just left that off and just stated his disagreement, I'd have no issues with it.

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”