SB 1581 on the calendar

Colleges are places to learn, not die at the hands of attention-starved mass-murderers.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

SB 1581 on the calendar

Post by baldeagle »

SB 1581 is on the Major State Calendar for tomorrow. This is the education bill that Senator Wentworth amended to include campus carry for public institutions. As we've discussed, Senator Zaffirini amended SB 1581 to include her SB 5 after refusing to allow it to come to a vote when Wentworth's campus carry amendment (#8) passed. After SB 1581 passed with Wentworth's amendment (#5), Senator Zaffirini brought SB 5 back up for a vote. Once it passed, without Wentworth's campus carry amendment attached, she then moved to remove her SB 5 amendment (#4) from SB 1581. Clearly the House Dems intend to argue that the campus carry amendment is no longer germane to SB 1581 because SB 5 (amendment #4) was removed and should be stripped from the bill. So, you need to call your Representative and Speaker Strauss and ask them to resist any and all attempts to remove the campus carry amendment from SB 1581. The Dems already tried to do that in committee and failed. This is our last chance to get campus carry passed in this session, so no effort should be spared to make legislators aware of your desire to see the bill pass as amended.

Rep. Hunter offered a motion to require that an amendments to SB 1581 be offered in writing no later than 2PM Tuesday (tomorrow), so the Dems will not be able to offer and endless flurry of amendments on the floor in an attempt to delay or kill the bill. Hopefully this bill will pass tomorrow and we will have at least a crippled campus carry law. (Private institutions will have to wait for another day.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB 1581 on the calendar

Post by TrueFlog »

baldeagle wrote:After SB 1581 passed with Wentworth's amendment (#5), Senator Zaffirini brought SB 5 back up for a vote. Once it passed, without Wentworth's campus carry amendment attached, she then moved to remove her SB 5 amendment (#4) from SB 1581. Clearly the House Dems intend to argue that the campus carry amendment is no longer germane to SB 1581 because SB 5 (amendment #4) was removed and should be stripped from the bill.
Where did you read that? TLO shows no new amendments since the Senate sent SB1581 to the House. Plus, SB5 didn't pass until after SB1581, and I'm pretty sure the Senate can't remove any amendments on a bill they've already passed and sent to the House.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

Any Amendments have to be in by Tuesday
http://www.journals.house.state.tx.us/h ... DF#page=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SB 1581 - COMMITTEE ON CALENDARS RULE ADOPTED
Representative Hunter moved to suspend all necessary rules and, pursuant to
Rule 3, Section 5(2) and Rule 6, Section 16(f) of the House Rules, moved to
adopt the following rule governing floor consideration for SB 1581:
Monday, May 16, 2011 HOUSE JOURNAL — 77th Day 3991
Each original amendment to SB 1581 that will be offered during second
reading consideration must be filed with the chief clerk not later than 2 p.m. on
Tuesday, May 17.
The motion to suspend all necessary rules prevailed and the Committee on
Calendars rule was adopted by (Record 1109): 142 Yeas, 0 Nays, 1 Present, not
voting.
===========================================================================
Bill hits house floor Wed
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 110518.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------

Tweets from Washington DC
@CSGV Washington, DC
CSGV CSGV
#Texas residents: Keep your calls coming to the House to defeat #NRA guns on campus bill! #TX #Highered #p2 http://fb.me/FDRfIOEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours ago
@CSGV Washington, DC
CSGV CSGV
#Texas residents: #NRA will try to attach guns on campus amdt to SB 1581 on Wed. Call your Reps. today! #TX #Highered #p2
9 hours ago
Tweets from New York:
Andy Pelosi
@KeepGunsoffCamp New York
KeepGunsoffCamp Andy Pelosi
Call #Texas House Sprk Straus 512-463-1000 - ask him to strip #guns on campus amend from spending bill #txlege #highered #TX
11 hours ago
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

TrueFlog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:After SB 1581 passed with Wentworth's amendment (#5), Senator Zaffirini brought SB 5 back up for a vote. Once it passed, without Wentworth's campus carry amendment attached, she then moved to remove her SB 5 amendment (#4) from SB 1581. Clearly the House Dems intend to argue that the campus carry amendment is no longer germane to SB 1581 because SB 5 (amendment #4) was removed and should be stripped from the bill.
Where did you read that? TLO shows no new amendments since the Senate sent SB1581 to the House. Plus, SB5 didn't pass until after SB1581, and I'm pretty sure the Senate can't remove any amendments on a bill they've already passed and sent to the House.
That was my recollection of what happened that day. I can't find any evidence for it, however.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

baldeagle wrote:
TrueFlog wrote:
That was my recollection of what happened that day. I can't find any evidence for it, however.
If you read the house committee report analysis it describes the removal of SB5 from 1581 in the committee substitute for 1581. You have to go to the end of the analysis report to see that.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

apostate

Post by apostate »

Remind me again why the hard-fought amendment for civil rights at (state) universities was removed from SB 5. :headscratch

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

apostate wrote:Remind me again why the hard-fought amendment for civil rights at (state) universities was removed from SB 5. :headscratch
That's a good question, It is my opinion that they should have left SB5 dead, that would have forced 1581 as the only option. To me it seems like a major mis-step.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

warhorse10_9 wrote:
apostate wrote:Remind me again why the hard-fought amendment for civil rights at (state) universities was removed from SB 5. :headscratch
That's a good question, It is my opinion that they should have left SB5 dead, that would have forced 1581 as the only option. To me it seems like a major mis-step.
I can only speculate, but I think that Wentworth felt that his amendment to SB 1581 would survive any germaneness challenges in the House because, in general, the two chambers honor the germaneness decisions of the originating chamber. I'm sure there will be a fight, but hopefully campus carry, in its crippled form, will survive.

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

SB 1581 is on the calendar for tomorrow (May 18) as follows:

SB 1581 Ogden

SP: Pitts

Relating to state fiscal matters, and certain public health and
safety matters, related to public and higher education;
providing penalties.

(6 Amendments by Alonzo)
(1 Amendment by Anderson, Charles "Doc")
(1 Amendment by Aycock)
(1 Amendment by Brown)
(3 Amendments by Cain)
(3 Amendments by Castro)
(4 Amendments by Christian)
(2 Amendments by Davis, Sarah)
(1 Amendment by Davis, Yvonne)
(1 Amendment by Deshotel)
(1 Amendment by Eiland)

Should be interesting. Dems will challenge germaneness first, I'm sure, and then try to amend it away. 24 amendments should take a while. Should be an interesting day. Fortunately, any amendments the Dems submit that try to strip campus carry will be tabled because the GOP has the votes, but they'll get to pontificate on the floor before the amendments are tabled.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

PhillipMartin PhillipMartin
There are several amendments to the SB 1581 education fiscal matters bill that would end the @DreamAct in Texas. #txlege
8 hours ago

And Austin Statesman article
The most important day in this year’s session?
By Jason Embry | Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 07:14 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... _left.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perry
However, I remain confident we can pass a fiscally-conservative balanced budget in regular session, and will continue to work with the Senate and House to responsibly live within available state revenues.”
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Discussion of SB 1581 was postponed until 8AM tomorrow morning.

40khammer

Post by 40khammer »

Anybody heard anything else?

Return to “Concealed Carry on College Campuses”